Just had to scratch the itch!

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Just had to scratch the itch!

Post by campswithcritters »

BMullins46 wrote:Next thing you know they will be putting the air ride seats in them like the big rigs have.
Air Ride seats are nice Bill, but one drawback. If the road is really rough enough to start the seat bouncing up & down it is extremely difficult to hold the accelerator steady which worsens the situation. A bouncing foot on a truck accelerator controlling close to 500 hp and 1650 ft lbs of torque will causing a chucking that will hurt your neck unless you jamb your head back to the headrest and get that foot off the pedal. When dealing with really bad roads the cruise control becomes your best friend.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Flintstones wrote:Rob, my 2011 Super Duty is a short box.
Do you have a slider hitch? I've asked Torben about his short bed and even though he has a manual slider he's never used it in all their years and miles of traveling.

Rob
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Do you have a slider hitch? I've asked Torben about his short bed and even though he has a manual slider he's never used it in all their years and miles of traveling.

Rob
Rob, I have a slider in my Ford with a short bed. Yes I do use it after I hit the cab of the Dodge with the nose of the Bird now I am afraid not to. Turning did not cause them to hit, it was the unlevel ground that caused them to kinda fold in the middle. I was backing into my driveway which I had done many times without any problems so I did not use the slider. I guess that time everything lined up perfect to cause them to get together. It did not damage the Bird but the truck spent some time in the repair shop. I decided that the stress level is much less with the hitch slid back so now I have made it a habit to use the slider.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

Travelers wrote:
BMullins46 wrote:Next thing you know they will be putting the air ride seats in them like the big rigs have.
Those are available for pickups. :d :d
Where can you get one?
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

WVcampers wrote:
Rob & Cathy wrote:

Rob
Rob, I have a slider in my Ford with a short bed.
I was looking at a F350 CC two-tone Lariat at a nice price the only rub was it had a short bed. I like the over all length of a short bed but I like the utility of a long bed. What to do?

Rob
Flintstones

Post by Flintstones »

I have a Reese 18K slider hitch. The 2011 Cardinal has the tapered corners on the front cap so I rarely use the slider. I have to use it at my seasonal site, but thats it. Truck pulls awesome, steady and sure, and the power of this new diesel is simply amazing. Best tow vehicle I have ever owned.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Flintstones wrote:I have a Reese 18K slider hitch. The 2011 Cardinal has the tapered corners on the front cap so I rarely use the slider.
Thanks David, it's the "rarely use" that has me concerned. :?

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Rob you looking at a new or used Ford?
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Mike Clay wrote:Rob you looking at a new or used Ford?
And when are you getting it Rob?
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Flintstones wrote:I have a Reese 18K slider hitch. The 2011 Cardinal has the tapered corners on the front cap so I rarely use the slider.
Thanks David, it's the "rarely use" that has me concerned. :?

Rob
Rob
This will solve your concerns - PullRite SuperGlide 5th hitch. That's what I had in our short bed Ford.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Rob, if Ford offered the dually with the Super Cab and 8 foot bed, I think I'd gone for it. But, since I'd always planned on a toolbox/aux tank to keep the odds and ends outta the cab, and even with that in place I can still carry a spare propane bottle and the Weber grill, CC and 8 foot bed is what I have, and getting. 'Sides you should of heard my 15 year old grandson the first time he sat in the back seat of Bubba, "There's so much room!" was the start! :)) :d

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:Rob you looking at a new or used Ford?
I'm looking at 2011s Mike. It frustrating because I'm finding trucks with thousand of dollars of options I don't want or they'll not have features I do want.

Bruce, I just don't know. At the latest by next Spring if I do it all. Of course I'm having to deal with sticker shock. :shock:

Jeff, I know what you mean. Getting a CC is mandatory for us. We do a lot of camping with friends and family and when we want to go out and about we either have to go with others or follow in our truck.

Rob
Flintstones

Post by Flintstones »

Rob, I wish you folks lived a lot closer as I would let you take my truck with the hitch and try it out on your camper.

I had a 2004 V-10 and it was a good motor, but the diesel is so much better. Have you considered buying used, the 6.4 diesel in the 2008 to 2010 was great for me and I believe it has a good reputation. My 2008 was a job 3 truck and it performed excellent for the 67,000 miles I owned it.
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

The Ford has a 6 1/2 foot bed and the Dodge had a 6 foot bed. It is possible that I would not need to use the slider, I am just a little gun shy so I have decided to always use it. One advantage is that with the hitch slid to the rear the trailer responds better and is easier for me to back up. I chose the manual slider because I can take the hitch out of the bed in 2 peices by myself. I do miss the carring capacity of the long bed, but I like the shorter truck for looks and driving. I will tell you that the F350 SRW sits 2" higher than the F350 DRW. I don't know if the superglide is adjustable but I have the reese set as low as it will go and the bird is still a little nose high. It still tows great.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Flintstones wrote:Rob, I wish you folks lived a lot closer as I would let you take my truck with the hitch and try it out on your camper.
LOL, I don't think we could be any further apart unless you lived in Florida. But thank you very much for the offer, that is very generous of you and I would probably take you up on it.

You're right in that your really can't compare the diesels to the V10 in pulling power. When I go over some of the passes out west here I have little if any reserve power, without hitting the 4500-5000 rpm area, but then again how much time do we actually spend going over mountain passes. And my truck has been VERY reliable. It was in the shop ONE time for a warranty issue and that was do to a fold in the rubber window seal on the drivers door. The only other times have been for scheduled maintenance only and that is relative inexpensive compared to the diesels.

I will have the truck seven years this coming March but Cathy an I want to do some serious traveling next year so it may be time. We'll see.

Rob