Early Comparisons

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

rlhedlund

Early Comparisons

Post by rlhedlund »

Have driven the new F-350 800 miles since last friday. Here are some thoughts:

My previous ride was a new body style '07 3500HD duramax, extended cab, 4x4, SRW with 102,000 miles all mine.

New ride is a '11 F-350 crew cab, 4x4. dually, 6.7 power stroke diesel.

I live in central VA. I drove over a couple hours to Tarboro, NC to pick up the new truck. The roads in NC are much better than in VA. The new ride is like a Cadillac in NC and like a brick in VA. I checked the rear tire pressures. They were set at 50psi. I lowered the front from 70 down to 60. Still a bumpy ride on rough roads with no load. Ride is ok with a few hundred pounds.

Response is impressive when you step on the accelerator. Duramax had a significant hesitation.

Fuel mileage from Roanoke to Richmond this weekend was 20.3 MPG. This is better by 1-2 mpg over my duramax.

The new ride is quieter, radio sounds better, dash is more impressive and more informative.

I fear engine maintenance and repairs will be more expensive. Oil capacity is 13 qts vs 11 qts

There is no room under the hood, and I mean NO ROOM!!!!!

Friday night, before I got out of Tarboro, the engine light came on. Sat am I read and cleared the codes. Saturday, on the road to the football game in Blacksburg, the light came back on. I cleared it again Sunday. It came back on. Monday I called the dealer to tell them I had a P20BD code. He told me it is a glow plug circuit error.
Will get it looked at when I can get the truck into the local dealer around the corner from our shop.

The seats have more support than the Silverado's. The interior has more user-friendly features than my previous truck. Built-in eyeglass holder, more console storage and organizing features. Even the trailer wiring connector has BOTH the 7 round AND the 4 flat plug ins.

I won't even go into the SYNC here as I am still learning what it can do for me.

I am waiting on rails for my fifth wheel hitch so I can put the diesel to the test. The Ford sits a couple inches lower than the silverado, so I should have no issues with clearance.
Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Re: Early Comparisons

Post by Samsbird »

That's good info, I'm sure that I will be taking the plunge before long. I have had very good service out of my 06 6.0 and just love the new powerstrokes, it looks like Ford got it right. Good luck and I look foward to your feedback after towing with the new workhorse.

Randall
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Shouldn't have any problems with clearance between the Ford and the Bird. Here's a picture of mine hooked up, around 2600# on the hitch with the fresh water tank full:

The silver box is a Transfer Flow 50 gallon aux tank/toolbox mounted on the almost 4 inch riser kit. I need to be jackknifed to have a clearance problem there.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

rlhedlund wrote:I fear engine maintenance and repairs will be more expensive. Oil capacity is 13 qts vs 11 qts
Here's a video of an oil change on a 6.7 Powerstroke. Seems straight forward if you're into doing it yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D0UOxA8Zn0

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Also, there's a maintenance required monitoring alert, recommending when oil changes, etc. are required. Included as part of the new alert system introduced with the 6.7 engine. I think that will save me money, as I'm based in the desert, tow alot, and have been doing 5K oil and filter changes (Severe Duty) with oil sampling, to ensure I'll never have a warranty problem. Expensive when you're using synthetic oil, as I am. As I understand it, if you heed the maintenance alerts, which can occur at periods much longer then 5K miles, the warranty, including the Extended Ford warranty is covered. No more fixed mileage oil changes. Not to mention the better MPG! 8)

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I think this is what you're referring to Jeff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31iiDlrLWKw

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

The Chevy has a fuel and oil filter read out that has been proven to be accurate and also takes into account that you are towing. I tend to go more and more by the read out then I use to.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

Mike Clay wrote:The Chevy has a fuel and oil filter read out that has been proven to be accurate and also takes into account that you are towing. I tend to go more and more by the read out then I use to.
So do I Mike, it's hard to do though. I still had 15% oil life remaining but 7500 miles on the oil so I chickened out and changed it. I also grease the chassis when I change oil and it was ready.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

I know how you feel Earnie but after reading all the tests and oil analysis I tend to believe it (well a little more I still don't go over 5k on oil changes.)
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Mike Clay wrote:I know how you feel Earnie but after reading all the tests and oil analysis I tend to believe it (well a little more I still don't go over 5k on oil changes.)
I've been doing the same, but looking at the oil analysis after a 5k change and filters, and seeing the statement that there is plenty of oil life remaining, I've been tempted to push to the 10k interval.
With the monitoring system keeping track and providing a record in case of a warranty issue, going until or almost to the system recommended change sounds better. But I'll still be sending samples in for analysis.

All I need now is for my 2012 to arrive.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Four years ago I waned a Ford, but I had some friends that were having diesel problems with theirs so we bought the Chevy. We have 52,000 on it and it’s been a good truck, and I really like the Allison.
Thanks for the report on your new Ford, next time we’re in the market we will take a long hard look at them again
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Well unless things change drastically in three years or when my warranty is almost done I will be getting another Chevy or GMC but yes Chief this time it will be a dually. Only because of a change in lifestyle by then not to mention my truck is getting heavy with all the got to have its. :d I do enjoy reading about all the changes and improvements from the big three. One thing to remember in all the new truck we will see is all of the air emission items and requirements that the EPA is mandating. I don't think they have it figured out yet in the light truck market. I feel sorry for all of the contractors and rescue equipment that have to idle for any length of time, not to mention all of the ag equipment. #-o
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

I know that a dually is the best for hauling our rigs around. But here is my dilemma -- we're out during the winter time 4-5 months and our only mode of transportation is the truck. I find it hard enough now to get in and out of parking places. We're lucky, (well not really) that we have handicap plates and it allows us to get the truck into parking spots a bit easier. What is like with a dually? Getting in and out of parking spots or even finding places to park?

Thanks for the input.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

That has always been our problem and after driving olbirds truck you take up the whole space then some. My problem is with my heavy pin weight 2,700 lbs and the extra 500 lbs of fuel I am starting to push the limit with both tanks full.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

I agree that the Duramax/Allison is a great combo. The new F350 diesel tranny shifts slightly rougher with no load. I have not installed the hitch yet.