New F-350 in the Shop Already

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: New F-350 in the Shop Already

Post by Chief409 »

Whoo Hooo! :ymapplause:

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
snoking

Post by snoking »

Rob, not a new Ford! It is now documented that one new one had to go to the shop for warranty work. Chris :o) (-| (-|
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Rob & Cathy wrote:LOL Well guys enough researching on the Internet. Tomorrow I have an appointment with the truck salesman at one of the local Ford dealerships. We'll see how it goes.

Rob
You need an appointment up there? Guess things are different up there, I like to hit em by surprise mid-week when they are bored. I'll sit for hours and jack with em about the price, then leave and see how long it takes em to call me with a lower price.
Bruce's form of entertainment! :ymdevil: :ymcowboy:
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

You're right Bruce having said "appointment" may be a bit strong. There's a particular salesman that was recommended by someone I trust. He wasn't in today but he called me this afternoon and we made an arrangement to get together around 10a tomorrow.

Today I was at the dealership for scheduled service on our Fusion and to take a look at some features on the F350s and take some measurement. While looking one of the random salesman came up to me we started talking. A minute and a half into the conversation I could tell he new nothing about the Super Duties. I guess it was just his turn.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

The guys I deal with take pride on being a "pickup dealer". That is from the owner. And have the best Ford Service shop in three counties. The "car dealer" is around 40 miles south in Lancaster.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Rob & Cathy wrote:LOL Well guys enough researching on the Internet. Tomorrow I have an appointment with the truck salesman at one of the local Ford dealerships. We'll see how it goes.

Rob

If you need anything let me know.
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

DEF systems are a work in progress. My first warranty service trip to the dealership was for a tank with frozen fluid in Cullman AL. I now keep two gallons in the 5'er and two on the shelf at home. GMC does not have any fluid level indications. Sooooo I add fluid once a month or every 1k miles.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I fill mine up about every 5,000 miles, have not put any in since my oil change when we got home from Mt Rushmore.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

DEF, another necessary evil and something else to carry, like windshield washer fluid I guess. Only places I know of around here that have DEF pumps are truck stops along SR58 (Bakersfield - Barstow Hwy), and I haven't seen bottles at many service stations with diesel yet. After watching the Ford video Rob put up links to, I sure aren't going to ignore the warnings when the level gets low.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Really the DEF fluid is not that big of a deal. Before I leave on a long trip I get the tank filled when I get my oil changed, I always have three extra gallons in the trailer but as of yet never had to use them, and this year I towed over 4,500 miles on one tank with no low fluid warning. I do use those at the end of the traveling season and save the one gallon containers since the cost at the dealer is 14.95 for a new gallon or 4.95 if I bring the jugs back. Yes its like windshield washer fluid and like that if you forget a light or warning will come on and tell you to fill it.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Mike Clay wrote:Really the DEF fluid is not that big of a deal. Before I leave on a long trip I get the tank filled when I get my oil changed, I always have three extra gallons in the trailer but as of yet never had to use them, and this year I towed over 4,500 miles on one tank with no low fluid warning. I do use those at the end of the traveling season and save the one gallon containers since the cost at the dealer is 14.95 for a new gallon or 4.95 if I bring the jugs back. Yes its like windshield washer fluid and like that if you forget a light or warning will come on and tell you to fill it.
What is the DEF tank size on the GM. I believe that Ford has 5 gal on the short bed trucks and 10 gal on the long beds.I added 2.5 gal to mine after 2500 miles and it filled it to the top. Only part of that was towing.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

DEF tank on my GMC long box is 5.5 gallons.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

WVcampers wrote:
Mike Clay wrote:Really the DEF fluid is not that big of a deal. Before I leave on a long trip I get the tank filled when I get my oil changed, I always have three extra gallons in the trailer but as of yet never had to use them, and this year I towed over 4,500 miles on one tank with no low fluid warning. I do use those at the end of the traveling season and save the one gallon containers since the cost at the dealer is 14.95 for a new gallon or 4.95 if I bring the jugs back. Yes its like windshield washer fluid and like that if you forget a light or warning will come on and tell you to fill it.
What is the DEF tank size on the GM. I believe that Ford has 5 gal on the short bed trucks and 10 gal on the long beds.I added 2.5 gal to mine after 2500 miles and it filled it to the top. Only part of that was towing.
Thats about right 1.000 miles per gallon. For you folks that have really cold winters don't top them off in the winter time you need some room for expansion.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

John, my Insight gauge has been working well displaying level of the DEF fluid, it seems that the sensor in the truck always reads 100 % until you reach a level of about 75%.
I had the GMC dealer plug their computer reader into the truck at about 2200 miles and it still show a 100% level just as my Insight gauge displayed.
Then a few weeks later the Insight gauge displayed 77% , so I thought the next indication reading would be 50% but I was wrong. It has been dropping in 3% increments now for the last 1,000 miles.
I am not sure if it is correct and I may let let read down until the fill tank light goes on, it is now reading 53% with about 3,300 mile on the truck.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Hmm mine is still at 100% and from what I read it goes down in 1/3 increments. I have about 2,500 miles on this tank of def right now so maybe soon it will change. but the figures don't seem right since 1.3 gallons should be 25% if the tank is truly 5.5 gallons. I think the tank is larger then that since one time my truck took 5 gallons and I did not get the 1000 warning.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32