New F-350 STILL in the Shop

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

rlhedlund

New F-350 STILL in the Shop

Post by rlhedlund »

Part came in for the DEF heater fix today.This afternoon, the shop calls to tell me they found a crack in the Tank/pump??? and have to order another part that is on national back order. Emergency order status gets delivery next week. He proceeds to tell me they have the tank apart and can not let me have the truck. X(

I remember something about fix or repair daily? this is not starting out good.
Rob & Cathy

Re: New F-350 STILL in the Shop

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Have them pull a tank off a truck on the lot. Customer satisfaction should mean something.

Rob
snoking

Post by snoking »

I think these new trucks need a phone home feature! Oh wait, Onstar aready does that! Hello, can you tell me why my check engine light is on. One minute please. Your gas cap is loose!

National back order of a part means more than one has failed!

So, Rob did you buy one today? Chris
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

snoking wrote:So, Rob did you buy one today? Chris
Not yet.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well Onstar knew right away what was wrong with my truck when it set a code but the first dealer did not have a clue. Loose gas caps don't set codes on diesels at least on the chevy :d But the national back order thing really sucks, sorry to hear you are going through this.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

They will not disable a vehicle on the lot to make a customer happy and get them going. Some other "victim/customer" might stroll along and want that exact truck which will then be unsellable. Funny how that works. Many dealers are sitting on lots full of fleet vehicles waiting for commercial fleet customers to come along. Seems that they could/would side line one of those, but they won't do it. Did you sell the old truck already? It is enough to make you crazy isn't it. Can you imagine being stranded on a trip away from home with this kind of trouble? Argh!
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

As fast as it is giving you problems,they would be swapping trucks, if you make enough trouble in the dealers showroom they will take care of the problem.
I had a GRAY Ford mini van stop on the way home after purchase, three days later Julie was driving a RED mini van, it will not be a easy fight but they will give in.
There is no reason why you should need to put up with problems within days, they have other trucks to be changed out for you.

After a year I have heard of good GM dealer service centers take parts off of new trucks to get their customers going, its not common but a good dealer will take care of you.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Rule #1
Customer is RIGHT!

Rule #2
Refer to Rule #1 And mention Lemon. LOUDLY!

Who cares if the service and sales people get upset. THEY are there to keep YOU happy.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

I think I'd pick up a phone there in the dealership and ask for the district service rep, then ask for the Ford corporate office.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Yes the lemon law is an option but hard to do. My dealership takes parts of trucks in fact when I was stranded in Mt Rushmore they told me if I could not get a def tank that they would take one off one of their trucks on the lot and over night it for me. BUT I would be screaming like a banshie to get them to get you a different truck if my less then 1k mile truck was stuck in the shop. Was the tank damaged during shipping?
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote: Was the tank damaged during shipping?
I was wondering if the dealer cracked the tank removing it to replace the defective part.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Mike Clay wrote: Was the tank damaged during shipping?
I was wondering if the dealer cracked the tank removing it to replace the defective part.

Rob
If they are THAT fragile, Ford needs to know, now.

PS: Interesting night here. Got some monsoon storms, sand blowing so hard you can't see the end of the hood one second, and rain next. Right now I'm listening to the loudspeakers at the local H.S. a block away (they just scored!) and thunder in the distance.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Sounds like you're having an interesting night Jeff. It was 85* and sunny up here today but Fall is coming with rain and 65* on Sunday. :d

Rob
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

Rob & Cathy wrote:Have them pull a tank off a truck on the lot. Customer satisfaction should mean something.

Rob
The dealer where I bought the truck is over two hours away. I did not buy the truck from my local dealer literally around the corner from our shop. If the part was a simple unbolt/bolt piece from another on the lot, I would request that route. It is not. I am curious if the diesel tech broke the tank trying to replace the original part.

My warranty covers a rental vehicle at $35 per day. In my case, I have a spare 2500HD gasser at work, so the rental is more logistical hassle than it is worth.

I deal with a small handful of unreasonable customers. I would consider it unreasonable to claim "lemon" for one DEF tank. The timing sucks lemons.

Yes, the old truck was traded in. It is in Tarboro, NC. I'm missing it right about now. But then I remember how GM screwed me to the tune of $1000 over a part (turbo vane position sensor) formerly covered under the 100,000 mile diesel warranty. They had so many claims on various sensors that they simply took sensors out of the 100k warranty coverage.
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

snoking wrote:I think these new trucks need a phone home feature! Oh wait, Onstar aready does that! Hello, can you tell me why my check engine light is on. One minute please. Your gas cap is loose!

National back order of a part means more than one has failed!

So, Rob did you buy one today? Chris
I have a code scanner and Scan Gage II. Does Onstar clear the codes for you while you are running down the road? Not being smart. I don't know the answer.