I want my old Silverado back

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

rlhedlund

I want my old Silverado back

Post by rlhedlund »

So I traded in my '07 Silverado Duramax two weeks ago for the '11 F-350 SD Lariat diesel. The check engine lamp came on before I left town (Tarboro, NC) late Friday night two weeks ago.

Last Thursday, I bring it to my local dealer for warranty service (Colonial Ford in Richmond, VA) and he tells me the DEF tank heater is bad. New part to arrive next day (last Friday).

The new part arrived as promised. That afternoon they call me to tell me the truck will not be ready to pick up by end of the day. Seems the DEF tank pump/sending unit is now broke. I think they broke it when taking it apart. Moot point.

They ordered a new DEF tank pump. Part is on national back order. Last week they said sometime this week. Early this week they said sometime late this week. Today they still have no release date from Ford.

I asked if they could remove one from a new truck and install on mine. The local dealer said it can't be done. I called the Tarboro dealer who sent me an e-mail from a Ford Zone Mgr citing the warranty allowing for this to be done. Called back the local dealer. Bottom line is that the local General Mgr. will not allow their truck to be stripped of the part because Ford has no known release date for the part. They do not want to tie up THEIR truck waiting on MY part. Can't say as I blame them.

Called Tarboro, NC dealer and told him I want my old truck back.

They are now looking into having the part taken off the assembly line and shipped to the local dealer. Let's see if it can be done. I am not holding my breath. Seems like I am the one left holding the bag.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Re: I want my old Silverado back

Post by Olbird »

You are being too nice, work a deal to trade in the new ford with the local dealer.
I don't care what brand you buy, you had problems within hours of purchase and they need to correct the problem by putting you in another truck just to give back that new purchase feeling.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

George hit it right on. Some dealers have a sub par Service Dept. I'll pass a better deal up if I know of, or have heard of sub standard service at that dealer, and go somewhere else where I know the Service Dept knows what they're doing. A place with good after sale care gets repeat business from me.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Yup they should put you in another truck and who cares what they have to sit on you spent the money for a new truck and they can't fix it. They have a lot more money then you let them take the hit.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

You say that you spoke to the GM. Have to contacted the owner of the dealership?

Rob
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

I would contact the dealer that you purchased the truck from and tell them that they need to take the parts off of one of THEIR lot trucks. You can not expect a dealer located next to your home to take parts off of their trucks if you traveled to another state to buy your truck.
I am sorry that you are getting off to very bad start with your Ford. Hopefully when you get it back it will be flawless like mine has. Not the first trip back to the dealer yet and I bought it last May.

I think that there is a number to call in the owners manual to file complaints.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

WVcampers wrote:I would contact the dealer that you purchased the truck from and tell them that they need to take the parts off of one of THEIR lot trucks. You can not expect a dealer located next to your home to take parts off of their trucks if you traveled to another state to buy your truck.
I am sorry that you are getting off to very bad start with your Ford. Hopefully when you get it back it will be flawless like mine has. Not the first trip back to the dealer yet and I bought it last May.

I think that there is a number to call in the owners manual to file complaints.
Yeah, I have no argument with the local dealer.
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

The latest as of yesterday 5 pm:

The NC Zone Mgr is working with the VA Zone Mgr. to come up with the quickest solution. Was told it MAY be a possibility to take the part off the assembly line. A replacement truck at this point won't solve my problem. My fifth wheel hitch is already installed in the new truck.