Speaking of DEF

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Rob & Cathy

Speaking of DEF

Post by Rob & Cathy »

On I-5 at exit 72 here in Washington there's a brand new LOVE'S truck stop that's literally a few months old. One of the things we've been talking about is DEF at the pump and I don't know how many have seen a station with DEF pumps.

This is what you can see from the freeway:

And here's one of the pumps:

And if you raise the DEF door, here's the nozzle:

What's interesting is if you look at the price on the pump it shows $3.98 with 5 cents off for cash. Well I didn't get fuel at the truck pumps but instead went over to the car pumps for my diesel and paid $3.93 on a credit card.

Anyway, this was my first fill-up since leaving the dealership and I was at 508 miles and took 24.77 gallons. Not bad!

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Speaking of DEF

Post by Chief409 »

Not bad indeed!

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
wild acres

Post by wild acres »

Dumb question, are big trucks required to use DEF?? Just curious. John
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

The new ones use DEF.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Not bad Rob 20.56 mpg yes the big rigs use it but at a much higher rate like for every 3k miles its like 20 gallons per a friend of mine driving for May
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Flintstones

Post by Flintstones »

The photos on this site, as usual, are awesome and very helpful. I have not seen any Love's stations here in Massachusetts. The DEF price is so much better than the $15.50 price for a 2 1/2 gal jug from my local Ford dealer.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Check under the hood to make sure you don't have a 4 cylinder, I had two VW Beetles that just got over 20 MPG.
I am getting 14.4 everyday driving and 10.5 pulling the 5th wheel at 58 -62 mph, you should see 16 MPG towing the trailer and just think what you will gain after the engine is broke-in ( 17 to 18 MPG

I hope mine gains a few more MPG, but I guess I only have two options, live with it or wait for GM to come out with a better engine to compete with the Fords.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:Not bad Rob 20.56 mpg
I must say that I'm getting anxious for the first pull on Thursday. Since we're heading to Fort Stevens the first big hill will be when we cross the Lewis and Clark bridge into Oregon and make that right turn at 25 mph then up we go.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

I here ya George I can't compete with that mileage either. I do get 22.7 if i stay on the freeway and under 65 mph but in town I'm only getting 14.5 mpg and 11.6 towing.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Olbird wrote:I hope mine gains a few more MPG, but I guess I only have two options, live with it or wait for GM to come out with a better engine to compete with the Fords.
You know me George, I've been driving it like an old lady while getting pass the 500 mile mark a hundred miles at a time and just varying the RPM by changing gears with +/- buttons on the gear shift. Not real world driving by any means. We'll see what happens after our trip and I start driving it normally.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Drive that truck like you stole it Rob don't baby it. Its not the engine you are breaking in its the bearings and such on the rest of the truck
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Will do Mike now that I'm pass the 500 mile mark.

Rob
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Rob, I hauled Trailers out of Goshen for a few years, and the price on the pump, for the Trucking companies, etc .... differs with "Fuel Stickers" ....so, the fuel is put on a company card most of the time, and the price is negotiated over a number of trucks, states, etc...................pretty interesting, actually.(Different States have diff rules, etc...) :d