First tow

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Travelers

Re: First tow

Post by Travelers »

Joe (redwing2) added a S&B cold air intake system and picked up 1.5 mpg towing / empty. Something to consider.
Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Post by Samsbird »

Rob, since you have had a chance to tow with the new 6.7 how do you like it, does it feel like it is comfortable with the load, does it have ample power and how does the new 6 speed Torqshift feel. Also how about engine and trans temps while in a hard pull, do they stay pretty stable? I hope you don't mind my asking I am also looking at getting one. I currently pull my Bird with a 6.0, it has been absolutely trouble free even when we put about 5,000 miles on it this past summer going to Yellowstone and back. We are planning another trip out west next summer and I just feel like I may be on borrowed time with the 6.0. I have been doing alot of reading on them and so far it looks like they are doing pretty well.

Thanks,
Randall
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Rob & Cathy wrote:I was surprised by the difference between the indicated mileage and calculate mileage. I did reset the trip-a counter after refueling in Tillamook. I currently show 20.5 gallons used traveling 270.0 miles. I'll hand calculate again the next time I refuel which will probably be Wednesday.
I discovered my error. I double checked my truck log and discovered that the 600.2 I had used for my first fill-up was in fact listed in my log as the mileage when I connected the trailer for the first tow with the new truck. My actual first fill was at 523.3 miles.

So, 901.4 - 523.3 is 378.1 miles on 29.66 gallons for 12.75 mpg NOT 10.15 mpg. The 12.75 mpg sounds more reasonable.

There you go Jeff, it's looking good!

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well if your getting that on a new truck you are doing very well. :thumbrt: Are you cutting over to I 5 on your way home?
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Samsbird wrote:Rob, since you have had a chance to tow with the new 6.7 how do you like it, does it feel like it is comfortable with the load, does it have ample power and how does the new 6 speed Torqshift feel. Also how about engine and trans temps while in a hard pull, do they stay pretty stable?

Thanks,
Randall
Hi Randall, the only word I can come with is effortless. It doesn't matter whether you're driving through slow curves or up a steep grade just give it a little throttle and off you go.

The engine temperature is rock solid. The transmission temperature is interesting. Once the transmission warms up to operating temperature, which apparently is 194*, it stays there. I thought that was high since my 2005 Torque Shift transmission rarely got that high yet this new transmission runs at 194* empty or towing. I wrote to the guys on the 6.7 forum and was told the transmission temperature in thermostatically controlled and will run at, or about, 194* even pulling 20K up a steep grade.

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:Well if your getting that on a new truck you are doing very well. :thumbrt: Are you cutting over to I 5 on your way home?
After my fill-up today, and finding my hand calculated mileage very close to the mileage on the trip counter, I went back to find why my previous hand calculation was so different than the mileage on the trip counter and that is what I found.

We will indeed head to I-5 Mike. We'll leave here on Wednesday and take 38 to Drain then I-5 to Salem. We'll stay at Champoeg SP Wednesday night then home from there.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

13 mpg towing could grow on me. :d

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Mike Clay wrote:
We will indeed head to I-5 Mike. We'll leave here on Wednesday and take 38 to Drain then I-5 to Salem. We'll stay at Champoeg SP Wednesday night then home from there.

Rob
Wave at my trailer two blocks in on the left when you turn off the freeway
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:
Rob & Cathy wrote:
Mike Clay wrote:

Rob
Wave at my trailer two blocks in on the left when you turn off the freeway
LOL, will do.

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Final report: The truck ran flawlessly. :thumbrt:

Before we left I reset all my trip-b counters to zero. Now with the truck and trailer sitting beside the house waiting for the next trip here's the summation of our two week trip.
Not bad for having just picked up the truck three weeks ago today. :d

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

The last place I stopped for fuel was a truck stop that had DEF at the diesel pumps. I thought since I'm here and have 1600 miles on the truck I'll see how much DEF it will take since I don't know what the level was when I left the dealer. As it turned out it wouldn't take any DEF which surprised me. So I guess I'll just wait for the DEF messages and go from there.

It was handy though to have the DEF filling point on the side of the truck.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

So you are saying you got 13.1 mpg towing? Not to bad :thumbrt:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Rob, I'm impressed. Here's why. On my last trip I averaged 8.7 mpg for 1579 miles, combined towing (670 miles one way) and 5 days of commuting at 70 mph. Cost of fuel @ $4.00/gal, $725.97 . If I had the new truck averaging 13 mpg (come ON Ford) the cost would be $485.84, a savings of $240.13! Which is close to what the RV park cost for 6 nights.

There is no guarantee a dually with 3:90 gears will get 13 mpg towing, from what I hear 12 mpg is a good ball park figure for towing, and 19 - 20 no load, but ... we're talking serious money, especially after I retire, and the truck will be paid for by then!

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

That's 13.1 average for the whole trip Mike. There were of course times when we traveled around without the trailer.

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I was also able to get some weights with the new truck.

Truck GVW: 11500#

Without the trailer:
Front - 4960#
Rear - 3560#

With trailer:
Front - 5020#
Rear - 5900#
Trailer axles - 10280#

Pin weight: 2340#
Total trailer weight: 12620# with half a tank of freshwater.
:shock: Yikes, the trailer needs to go on a diet!

Rob