First tow

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Rob & Cathy

First tow

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I certainly am impressed. It certainly levels the hills and the ride is excellent. I was cruising down I-5 at 65 mph averaging 13.2 mpg then I hit the hills heading to Astoria and went down to 12.3 mpg. I think that is pretty good with only 800 miles on the truck.

When we left home I reset my trip-A and trip-B counters. Trip-a will be reset every time I get fuel and trip-b will log the whole trip.

Here's from home to Fort Stevens:

You may notice that I have a little more that half a tank of fuel and the mileage shows 167 miles. I actually had 70 miles on this tank when I reset the counter so that is actually 237 miles on less that half a tank of fuel. I should be able to count on 500 miles between refueling while towing.

Anyway, I'm anxious to see what I get overall for the trip when we get back on the 20th.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: First tow

Post by Mike Clay »

Thats good mileage make sure you hand calc it to see for sure when you fill up. Im betting you will be in the high 11's on the way down the coast to Winchester Bay. BUT if you went 237 miles and used 13.5 gallons that equals 17.5 mpg so something is not right. Or did you also reset the gallons used which makes it correct, in any case good mileage.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

LOL, the 237 was in reference to the fuel gauge. All the counters got reset back to zero so the gallons on the counter and mileage on the counter are from leaving home. The fuel gauge shows how much fuel I've used since I filled up last Tuesday and put about 70 miles on before starting the trip yesterday. I thought someone may wonder why the fuel gauge shows nearly half a tank at 167 miles when it was actually 237 miles since I last refueled.

Also the mpg on the counter is from hooking up the trailer at home until I disconnected at Fort Stevens.

Sorry for the confusion.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Not confused just wondering, did not know about if the fords reset everything or not since mine you can reset any one item.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Yep, all the information gets reset. In fact you can pause the counters if you want but I don't know why you would want to do that.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

12.3 mpg when you've been cruising on the Interstate at 65 and then hitting the hills, I'm impressed! Even my F250 with a 5.4 engine only gets 11.7, with a tailwind, Bubba is getting 9.8 mpg towing and empty. And I learned something about fuel, and I apologize to Ford. What happened is I filled both tanks twice at the same truck stop. So after 150 gallons the mpg was averaging 8.5 or less. Then I started filling at Love's or Chevron again and gained a bit over 1.0 mpg, so it wasn't the last flash that shot Bubba's mpg, it was the fuel from that truck stop. It takes a while, and a few whacks over the head, but even I can learn something. :wink:

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote: It takes a while, and a few whacks over the head, but even I can learn something. :wink:
Welcome to the club Jeff! =))

Rob
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Pretty impressive. Nice to be able to go up the hills without your 4 ways on and in the right lane with that V10 you had. =))

And getting better mileage. Almost double?
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Travelers wrote:Nice to be able to go up the hills without your 4 ways on and in the right lane with that V10 you had. =))
LOL, never had to do that John but the additional torque and gears sure are impressive.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Rob, what do you think of the new transmission. It seems very different to what we've had since at least 2005.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

The transmissions are different from the 2011 and 2012 at least some of the components in the Fords since they were having the problems in the early builds of the 2011 with flare ( :)) new fancy word for screwed up)
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:Rob, what do you think of the new transmission. It seems very different to what we've had since at least 2005.
It's great Jeff. I especially like the ability to select my top gear using the +/- buttons. I haven't had, or needed, the opportunity to use the manual shifting.

Rob

P.S. Jeff, I'm refueling today for the first time since last Tuesday. :d
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Post by dieselfreak21 »

[quote="Travelers"]Pretty impressive. Nice to be able to go up the hills without your 4 ways on and in the right lane with that V10 you had. =))

quote]

Give it time. It a DEF truck, before long it will go to limp mode :)) Just kidding I hope not for the Arm and Leg you gave up to get the truck. I have been looking at an explorer for the dw and looked at a few of the tucks. Interiors are nice. The SYNC and the TOUCH system are awsome. Price tag :-o they can keep them.
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

dieselfreak21 wrote:The SYNC and the TOUCH system are awsome. Price tag :-o they can keep them.
I would highly recommend the SYNC system and it's only around $300.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

So Rob what your hand calculated mileage?
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32