First tow

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Travelers

Re: First tow

Post by Travelers »

Rob,
Any notice / indication on when the engine goes into Regen?
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:Rob on the tranny temp of 194 seems high is this while your towing or all the time. Checked mine today after 100 miles of in town and freeway and it was running 120 degrees.
Mike, the owners manual states that normal operating temperature is 180* - 200* for the 6 speed transmission.

Rob
Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Post by Samsbird »

Everything I have read is that the new FORD 6 speed runs around 194* regardless of towing or not, my 6.0 5 speed runs a little cooler than that. I would have a concern about the 120* as that might be too cool. The Torqshift has a solenoid bypass valve on the cooler that opens at around 170* to allow fluid to circulate through the cooler.
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Travelers wrote:Rob,
Any notice / indication on when the engine goes into Regen?
Hey John, a message pops up on the Information Center for about 2 sec stating that the filter is being cleaned. Immediately after that if I have the instantaneous MPG bar displayed it will go down to about half of what it was before the regen started. I hope that makes some sense. If it wasn't for that I would never know a regen took place.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Rob, it might be because one bank of injectors is putting fuel in during the exhaust stroke, instead of having a "ninth injector" for the regen.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

190* is typical for the 6R140 trans. In fact all of Fords transmission run at that temperature. There are bypass valves set up to keep the oil internal to heat it up quickly.

What's interesting is the GMC's trans is 120* most of the time. When going to MT Rushmore in 100* air temp the trans never got to 150*. The engine temp runs 185* almost all the time.

Would be interesting to see the egt temps at the turbo on both rigs.
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

A Trivia question. Any guesses where the Temp Sensor for the Outside Air Temp is located in the 2011/2012 Super Duty diesels.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I know where it's located. :d

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:A Trivia question. Any guesses where the Temp Sensor for the Outside Air Temp is located in the 2011/2012 Super Duty diesels.

Jeff
Mine is located in the passenger door mirror.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Correct! :ymapplause:
I'd never even thought of it until I was looking through the manuals.

I've seen aircraft systems that are less complicated then these new trucks. So much for the old "Shade Tree Mechanic".

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:I've seen aircraft systems that are less complicated then these new trucks. So much for the old "Shade Tree Mechanic".
I agree Jeff. When I was in SAC I worked electrical systems on B-52 bombers and KC-135 tankers. I can tell you that the wiring on those aircraft made more sense than wiring on vehicles.

Rob
snoking

Post by snoking »

Rob did you come to U-Tapao in Thailand with the B52's? I was 4 miles down and one mile to the side of the run way for a year. Not too bad if they took off towards us, if they went the other direction they really rattled our USCG Loran station buildings. We watched the air base being built in 1966.

Chris
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

snoking wrote:Rob did you come to U-Tapao in Thailand with the B52's? We watched the air base being built in 1966.
I was stationed at U-Tapao for a year Chris to support the B-52s but not until '73.

Rob
snoking

Post by snoking »

Cool, some day we will have to share a beer and talk about it. It was wild and woolly in the summer of 1966. We racked at the air base for a month or so until our barracks got built. Lot of Red Horse guys guys there at the time. Chris