Ford vs Chevy First Tow w/ Ford

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

rlhedlund

Ford vs Chevy First Tow w/ Ford

Post by rlhedlund »

Ok here are the facts:
Trailer same for both vehicles - '04 33TS LX Previously loaded, currently empty. EW 10,500#

Previous vehicle: '07 1/2 Duramax LMM diesel, 3500 HD, ext cab, 4x4, long bed, all stock, SRW Tires Michelins
Current puller: '11 F-350 6.7L Power Stroke, crew cab, long bed, FX4, all stock, DRW Tires BFG

OK, here are my OPINIONS:

Chevy rides smoother empty on rough roads (noticeably)
Ford rides smoother empty on good roads (noticeably)

Chevy rides smoother loaded on rough roads (80PSI) (noticeably)
Ford rides smoother loaded on good roads (60PSI) (slightly)

Chevy shifts smoother empty (65 PSI) (noticeably)
Ford shifts smoother loaded (60 PSI) (noticeably)

Mileage better with Ford:
Loaded 1/2 - 1 MPG
Empty 1 - 2 MPG

Acceleration better empty with Ford
Acceleration POSSIBLY better loaded with Chevy

Braking with Chevy via Prodigy (max gain and boost)
Braking with Ford via factory controller (Noticeably better on max gain)

The dually was better on bridge approaches whereas the SRW Chevy would bottom out on the springs when the road dips were very bad.
Both vehicles can pull much more than my trailer. The dually does have a firmer feel with no sway whatsoever. The SRW was very good as well.
The newer truck is much quieter, better sound system, much better dash information, firmer seating, not quite as comfortable IMO.

The Tarboro dealer is coming to pick up the F-350 with a rollback tomorrow. If they fix it, they will drive it back. If they don't, I'll ask for my money back or another truck.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Ford vs Chevy First Tow w/ Ford

Post by Mike Clay »

I know my 2011 is a heck of a lot different then my 08 was. The 2011 is a beast compared to the 08 but it does ride a little stiffer but my 08 was a 3/4 ton. The new truck has way more power plus the larger brakes are great. Have you test drove a new Chevy? It's interesting you feel the Chevy feels stronger with a load. I hope they get your truck fixed this time around.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

If you think the 08 chevy (Acceleration POSSIBLY better loaded with Chevy than 2011 Ford) you better go test drive the 2011 chevy because the higher HP 2011 engine will flat out pull the 2008 chevy all day long. :thumbrt: :thumbrt: :thumbrt: :-ss :-ss :-ss
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

I did test drive a Chevy dually. But did not tow with it. It did have stronger acceleration than my '07.

I also expected the exhaust brake to be stronger than it was. It did provide more braking than my Chevy, but not significant IMO. Maybe it would be more noticeable on long steep downgrades. Pretty much flat to rolling around here.
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

Olbird wrote:If you think the 08 chevy (Acceleration POSSIBLY better loaded with Chevy than 2011 Ford) you better go test drive the 2011 chevy because the higher HP 2011 engine will flat out pull the 2008 chevy all day long. :thumbrt: :thumbrt: :thumbrt: :-ss :-ss :-ss
You can probably notice it more so with your bigger rig than mine. I was really impressed with the towing acceleration on my LMM diesel. But it did shift harsh when accelerating. The new Ford shifts like a Cadillac under load.
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

FYI: The Duramax had 101,00 miles, the new Ford 1000 miles when towing for the first time. Would have been sooner, but...........
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

The exhaust brake on the chevy is not really noticed that much until you have a load behind it. You really can not compare them to an after market brake since they work so much different. I remember on my test drive with this truck I told Susanna the same thing and then I put it in tow haul mode coming down a hill empty and it took me from 55 to 25 pretty quick. It took some getting use to since you can't hear it like the Jacob exhaust brakes I always had in my Dodges.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

The GM exhaust brake works very close with the Allison trans understanding the load being towed and what is needed at the time to slow down your load.
My GM 2007 Topkick Factory Exhaust brake would put you threw the windshield with out the trailer being towed, Gm really made it run so smooth now it does the job without you noticing much change in the drivers seat.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

rlhedlund wrote:The new Ford shifts like a Cadillac under load.
AH! Maybe a Lincoln? =)) =)) =))

Chris
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

i guess I'm still a GM guy. Maybe that's why the Ford is giving me fits.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

rlhedlund wrote:i guess I'm still a GM guy. Maybe that's why the Ford is giving me fits.
There ya go :thumbrt: but unfortunately they all break :( I loved my 08 and the only real problem so far with this one was the def pump which did not leave me stranded but was not fun to deal with.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

rlhedlund wrote:i guess I'm still a GM guy. Maybe that's why the Ford is giving me fits.
My best friend is a "GM Guy" that just bought a new Ford. When we were in NY it would not go into 4WD unless we locked the front hubs in manually. He immediatly said " I don't know why I bought this piece of -----."
If it would have been a new Chevy He would have never said that.

I bought a new 05 Chevy Crew Cab Duramax/Allison and kept it 2 years and 32000 miles before I traded for a Ford.

I now have a 2011 Ford that I would not trade for a GM because I am a "Ford Guy".

I told my friend not to buy a Ford before he made the purchase but he thought that he was getting more for his money.

I don't think that you or him will keep the Fords very long because you are "GM Guys"
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

I went with the Ford because I thought it was more truck for less money. Also heard nothing but good about the 6.7. And that GM warranty experience still sticks with me. Now this DEF repair is sticking with me. Again, it's not the mechanical aspect, it's the customer service aspect that is just killing me. Waiting to hear today what the Tarboro dealer finds with the P20BD trouble code. Below is what I found on the web. Hope the Ford tech knows more than I do. What is below, came from a GM site.

Cold Weather Operation
As reductant will freeze at temperatures below 0°C (32°F), there are 3 reductant heaters. Reductant heater 1 is in the reductant reservoir, reductant heater 2 is in the supply line to the reductant injector, and reductant heater 3 is at the reductant pump. The ECM monitors the reductant temperature sensor located within the reservoir in order to determine if reductant temperature is below its freeze point. If the ECM determines that the reductant may be frozen, it signals the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM) to energize the reductant heaters.

Reductant pump operation is disabled for a calibrated amount of time to allow the heaters time to thaw the frozen reductant. Once the thaw period expires, the ECM energizes the reductant pump to circulate warm reductant through the de-energized reductant purge valve and back to the reservoir. This is done to speed thawing. The ECM looks for an increase in the reductant temperature to verify that the reductant reservoir heater is working.

Here is Ford data:
http://library.motoralldata.com/techRef ... s/Ford.htm
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

11.9 towing from the house to the rally. Half expressway at 65 and the balance on two lane thru lots of little towns. Rolling hills too. I'm still a Ford guy. Atleast 3 days a week. :d