Shopping for a Jeep

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

CaptainSkidmark

Shopping for a Jeep

Post by CaptainSkidmark »

I went today and test drove a 2012 Jeep Wrangler today. As the usual practice, the salesman had to go and talk to his boss behind a glass window office,leaving me sitting and waiting for 10 plus minutes. Finally, he comes back and gives me the sad song and dance saying they could only come off the price a couple of hundred dollars. No problem. I then handed him my company supplier's code number and was suppose to get a darn good discount( I've used this in the past and did get a good deal). Anyway, salesperson goes back to his boss and they again chat. I guess they forgot I could see all of this laughing and joking they were doing. After fifteen plus minutes waiting.... How rude of me to walk over and tell them goodbye...I have another appointment to make and walked out...But I did. I've bought many a new vehicles in my life and this would have been the second from this dealer. Yes-sir I'm chapped.
Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Re: Shopping for a Jeep

Post by Samsbird »

They all play the same silly games, that's why I tell the salesman upfront that you have one chance to talk to whomever makes the decisions and if he says no then I'm gone. More times then not it ends in my walking out but, my phone will usually ring within 24 hours. I can't think of many thing that I despise more than sitting down with car salesmen.

Randall
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
snoking

Post by snoking »

I go in with a file folder full of internet pricing. Carsdirect ect. I tell them up front that I am an internet buyer. The fools up front usually take you to the fleet guy and you work out a good deal with him.

Chris
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

Helps to be a commercial buyer. Less bling and time wasted. The commercial dealer in town and I were $1000 difference. When he called me to close the deal, I told him we were $1000 apart. He threatened to hang up the phone on me. That's how I ended up out of state. Got the $1000, but now all kinds of trouble with this truck.
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

But from your other post it sounds like you got a dealer (the purchase dealer) who will take care of the problem and make it right. That seems to be a problem a lot of the time once they sell it they want to wash their hands of anything that's wrong.
I was $2000 apart with a Ford dealer here (a big out of town holding co) so I walked away and bought a Dodge. The big companies have the big sale push, but not as willing to work with the customer as the home town folks.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
CaptainSkidmark

Well Guys, I'm pulling the trigger on a new jeep next week. I must say upfront that I went across the state line, and I will buy a new from a dealer that I have never used before. MY deal has the same price as I used the company sale's code( no hassels this way), but the attention to my time was the KEY. This salesman did not waste my time by stalling tastics,which the Shreveport dealership should take notice.

Another thing I have learned from the new dealer, the remote starting option I was wanting is not offered with the sport model I want. It does comes on the Sahara model, which has painted matching fenders and top that I do not want. Shreveport salesman lied...enough said.

BTW...New salesman went to parts department and find out that the remote options can be added separetly to the sport model. Jeep should relook at this option and address this issue for the Sport model. JMHO Since I don't rock crawl or drown my 4wd's in muddy-pits, I like my 4wd's to have standard electrical package features,which are normal packages to other vehicles.
CaptainSkidmark

First let say the best salesman lost out because the dealership didn't have anything I wanted in stock...But special thanks East Texas Stacy G. for your service and help!

I went back to the original dealership (with the largest selection of jeeps) and made sure I had a different salesperson. This guy was also a pleasure to deal with and made the sale a cake walk. I'm now the proud owner of a 2012 Jeep Rubicon 2door. I did want a 4 door unlimited model, but opted for the 2 door so I can later double pull behind the camper. :lol: Laissez les bons temps rouler
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

It is a pleasure dealing with a salesperson who goes that extra mile. The one I deal with has sold me 3 trucks so far, for just that reason. It also just might be the reason he's the Sales Manager now.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
honker

Post by honker »

We always use a service, never have to walk into a dealership and always get a really good deal, way less than at a dealership. Love the no hassle, all I do is sign the papers and take the keys after inspecting the car.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Chief409 wrote:It is a pleasure dealing with a salesperson who goes that extra mile. The one I deal with has sold me 3 trucks so far, for just that reason. It also just might be the reason he's the Sales Manager now.

Jeff
A benefit with dealing with the same salesperson, time after time, is the Service Department is ALSO aware of who you are, and they tend to take better care of your truck, with less hassle. You deal with the salesperson once, the Service Department forever! :lol:

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.