Help me decide

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Banjo

Post by Banjo »

To make installing your hitch easier.....

If you have the option that GM calls "camper/5th wheel trailer wiring provisions" installing a receptacle in the bed is fairly easy. I placed mine on the flat recessed panel about a foot or so from the tailgate on the drivers side. Drill the appropriate sized hole with a hole saw. Buy the receptacle first of course. If you have the wiring option I mentioned earlier, there will be a cable coiled up between the cab and bed on the drivers side of the truck. This cable comes from the REAR of the truck. There are two cable clamps, both near the front of the bed. The rest of the cable just lays on the left hand frame rail. Pull this cable back in stages, there are too many turns to pull it all once. Route it up through your hole, cut off excess and connect.

I would add this: make sure you connect the back-up lights to pin 7 (the center pin) that way in the future if you want to add back-up light on the trailer, your half way there. Also make sure there is a Fuse (40A) in Stud#1 pos. in the fuse box under the hood. This provides 12v to the trailer when connected. New trucks have a red or orange plug in that pas. labeled B+ usually.

The wires in the cable are labeled. In case the label is not legible here it the color code.

12v Pos -- Red
RH Stop/Turn -- Green
Brakes -- Blue
Ground -- White
LH stop/turn -- Yellow
Running lights -- Brown
Back-up lights -- Light Green
High mounted brake light -- Light blue (tape back)
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Thanks Fred, yes it has the optional 5th wheel wiring but I'll find a spot further forward because I also have an extremely lowpofile tool box that mounts just inside the tailgate an covers the one that I put back there in the dodge prior to purchasing the box. Good info on location and such, it'll save some crawling around time! :D
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
campswithcritters
exempt member

Picked up the grey goose today (greystone metallic in color). Am impressed so far, although the wife does not like the smell of new leather it's music to my nose. Impressive power and I like the onstar system so far as it has some neat features. Going to pick-up hitch tomorrow and hopefully get the installation done Thursday and of course brake box, any opinions on which is better brakesmart or prodigy? Not towing yet of course, but one needs to be ready when it's the only way to move this thing around. Thanks again for all the responses and helpful suggestions.
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

Congrats on the truck. Maybe I'll be able to catch you before you leave and see it.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Congratulations, the Chevy D/A is one heck of a pulling machine.
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

According to a post on RV.Net, Prodigy is the favorite brand.
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuse ... 430751.cfm
Reason why we purchase one. We like it.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
abc40kids

Post by abc40kids »

I've got the Card. 362bhs '06 and my '05 chevy 3500 dually diesel w/ the allison trans. does a great job,could'nt ask for more!!
campswithcritters
exempt member

Prodigy was in stock when I picked up the hitch today, so that's whats installed now.