Help me decide

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Help me decide

Post by campswithcritters »

Ok folks, I don't want to start any wars here, I am only asking opinions and preferences. It's time for a new truck because the DW wants an automatic since we are now fulltiming and I'm not one to complain about buying new toys. I have always pulled my 5th wheels with Dodge CTDs, this is my second and I love that engine, but I don't want the 4 speed auto they have matched to it. So now it's about a Ford power stroke with 5 spd auto torque shift or a GM Duramax with allison 6 spd auto, either will be a dually/long bed due to my full time heavy tongue weight. The Ford with tow boss package can go up to 26,000 lb GCWR, while the GM sits at 23,500. I will be weighing the rig prior to this purchase when I move it mid Dec and we will lighten it if the thing is over 23,500 with the current truck as I don't want to be over that with either new truck. I am currently leaning towards the GM as the transmission is so highly rated and I can go to the above weight with a 3.73 gear ratio while the Ford requires a 4.30 ratio which will not make it economical.
What I would like to ask of both late model Ford and GM owners is:
1. What features or characteristics of your truck do you really like?
2. What features or characteristics of your truck do you not like?
3. Would you buy the same brand truck again?
And any other helpful info.
I really don't want to start any type of battle here, useful information only please.
Thanks
Bruce
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

A couple of friends of mine has said the new 6.? Power Stroke doesn't pull as well as the old 7.3. I don't know, because I have not pulled with either. Don't know about the DuraMax either.
Don't under rate the 3.73:1 differential, you didn't run off and leave me in the Rockies! :P
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Bruce, I think you and Den talked about this a bit when you and Sharon were here. It is funny that Den just called the Banks people yesterday to see about getting set up for ours, and he says that the man he spoke to told him that the Chevy Duramax has the most options to increse the horsepower using after market equiptment (Banks turbo, chip, inner cooler, exhaust) You will be BROKE by the time you bit the bullet for all this, however! LOL! Hubby said that he would have gone with that in '02 when he was looking for a truck, but it was so new at the time and not proven (??) so he went with the 7.3 Ford as it was the last year those were made. Now that is not available, so if HE was looking for a new truck now, he probably would be purchasing a Chevy. (He would love to have YOUR truck, but we don't need ANOTHER one! LOL!)
Hope you decide what you can do, without dumping too much 'good stuff'.... Just drink up all that wine a little faster, and you will be LOTS lighter! LOL! Donna
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Bruce,

I can tell you for sure the new Ford automatic trans is is the best thing I have ever drove while towing. I also wanted the GM for the Allision trans.
I live in the Northwest with many mountains, when you put it in tow and haul the truck taks over, it downs shifts while up pulling hill and down shifts when needed going downhill. Very little breaking power is needed, while it is putting back pressure on the rig going down hill it knows when to shift back out at the right time to start pulling again. You never have to pull the shift lever while driving again.
I know this is what the Allision does in the GM also, so its you pick of what truck you best like.

I do like the built in towing break system also, I have a big 5th wheel and have to set it on number 9 break setting.

George
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

What is the problem with the dodge auto? I have nearly 70k on mine with the 48 tranny pulling my FW and a bunch of excavation equipment with nary a problem. I know the 47 was light but I do believe they have fixed their problems. Or am I missing some info.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
campswithcritters
exempt member

Shields wrote:What is the problem with the dodge auto? I have nearly 70k on mine with the 48 tranny pulling my FW and a bunch of excavation equipment with nary a problem. I know the 47 was light but I do believe they have fixed their problems. Or am I missing some info.
I found with my previous CTD and 4 spd auto that there was just not enough gears to select from when doing serious mountain driving, it always seemed like I needed another to keep the power band along with rate of ascent/decent I wanted. I know they have the durability issues solved with the 48 replacing the 47. I have also read two magazine driving comparisons on the big 3 with autos and towing, both said the same thing I always felt.
campswithcritters
exempt member

CritterRenter wrote: Don't under rate the 3.73:1 differential, you didn't run off and leave me in the Rockies! :P
Actually leaning toward it as I feel my current 4.10 is a bit too steep already. DW is also pulling heavily towards the GM product as she's still upset about me selling her 99 Silverado.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Trucks

Post by Don Wilson »

I have been looking at new trucks as well. I have the 2000 Dodge 2500 with the 47 tranny and have 105,000 miles. I have towed a 25 foot Alpenlite about 15,000 miles and the 29WB LX Cardinal about 8,000 miles.

I always keep a close watch on the tranny because of it's reptation

I read that the 07 Dodge Cummins is coming out with a water cooled turbo which will help keep down the exhaust gas temp and allow for more pulling power and the tranny is very comprable to the Allison (if not an allison).

I also heard from a friend that Ford is going back to the 7.3 powerstroke because the old engine was supposedly under powered.

I will be watching this subject closely to see everyones opinion as it will be 6 months to a year before I purchase!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
campswithcritters
exempt member

Re: Trucks

Don Wilson wrote: I read that the 07 Dodge Cummins is coming out with a water cooled turbo which will help keep down the exhaust gas temp and allow for more pulling power and the tranny is very comprable to the Allison (if not an allison).

I also heard from a friend that Ford is going back to the 7.3 powerstroke because the old engine was supposedly under powered.

Don
Don, I am getting different info from the websites. The new Cummins is 6.7 liter and will be available with an AISIN 6 spd automatic, however the power has been reduced to 305hp (325hp on my 05) and torque will remain at 610ft/lbs. That I gathered from the Dodge website and the GCWR will stay at 23000 lbs. Don't know if I want to be the first one on the block with a transmission I never heard of.
The soon to be released (early 07 but called an 08)Ford Power Stroke will be 6.4 liter with dual sequential turbos (350 hp and mid 600s torque) and still have the torque shift 5 spd auto.
GM duramax is at 360 hp and mid 600s torque, and will likely bump up to 365 hp for the real 07s.
I am currently looking at the late 06s and 07 classics (pre 07 emmisions), and hoping to find a year end deal.
campswithcritters
exempt member

Olbird wrote:Hello Bruce,

I can tell you for sure the new Ford automatic trans is is the best thing I have ever drove while towing. I also wanted the GM for the Allision trans.
I live in the Northwest with many mountains, when you put it in tow and haul the truck taks over, it downs shifts while up pulling hill and down shifts when needed going downhill. Very little breaking power is needed, while it is putting back pressure on the rig going down hill it knows when to shift back out at the right time to start pulling again. You never have to pull the shift lever while driving again.
I know this is what the Allision does in the GM also, so its you pick of what truck you best like.

I do like the built in towing break system also, I have a big 5th wheel and have to set it on number 9 break setting.

George
Thanks for the input George, I know Ford has been building some really good transmissions, and steadily improving them. Have you had any issues with the 6.0 engine? I know they had early problems with turbos and oil leaks and hope its all sorted out. The built in brake box sounds like a great feature as well.
Bruce
rcobb

Post by rcobb »

Hi Bruce

I have a 06 F250 with a 6.0 and have not had any problems. I have about 24K miles on it now and love it.

We stayed at Rayford 2 weekends ago and went by you bird to meet your wife but no one was home. Hope we can meet up with ya'll before you head out to your next location.

Ricky
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

All my previous trucks had standard shift transmissions. A few years ago my wife had surgery on her left knee and it bothered her using the clutch. Last year I bought a new truck with the Torque Shift transmission and there is one thing I can say for sure, after using this transmission I'm NEVER going back to a stick shift.

The other thing I really like is the Tow Command brake controller that is integrated into the braking system of the truck (I've only seen it on Fords). With it you control the amount of brake being applied to the trailer by how hard you press the on the brakes. It's also integrated into the warning system. If your trailer connection should come loose it will sound the chimes in the truck and turn on dash board warning light. It will also detect if your anti-lock circuit activates and change the trailer braking pressure. As far as I know it's the only controller that will perform all those functions.

As far as the rear-end is concerned I would go with the 4.10 or 4.30 minimum. The mileage between a 3.73 and 4.30 when towing is negligible and it's a lot easier on the engine and transmission with the lower gears.

IMO

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Re: Trucks

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Don Wilson wrote:I also heard from a friend that Ford is going back to the 7.3 powerstroke because the old engine was supposedly under powered.Don
Ford is coming out with a 6.4 PSD for the 2008 model. It is suppose to be available by the summer of 2007.

Rob
Tim

Post by Tim »

We sure enjoy our Chevy 04 Duramax. Run it stock and it does not even know the rig is back there.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Bruce,

I have not had any problems with the 6.0 PSD, this is my first 5th wheel and heavy duty truck. I have had motorhomes for the last 25 years and they felt like I was driving a turtle up the hills.

I got a fairly good deal when I bought this truck, it was when the 2006 trucks was just coming in. The dealer sold me a end of the year 2005 with all the discounts and year end rebates and he had to dealer locate, so I signed the papers buying the truck off the invoice paper work and they let me take a 2006 off the lot until my truck was picked up.

Well you know the story now, the other dealer would not trade or sold the truck and they could not come up with the color I wanted to match my Cardinal bird that was not ordered yet. So I got a 2006 in the color I wanted and drove the test truck for about 6 weeks until my 2006 came in.

Just a better deal than I could have made walking in for a new 2006 model year when wanted to move the 2005's out the door.

George
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW