Ford Diesels Info seminars

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Ford Diesels Info seminars

Post by bigbunkhouse »

ford and international have been sponsoring free dinner / informational seminars on the ford diesels for the owner / small business / shop / etc. Tonight 3 of us attended one, it was run really well and was a good meal with 3 hrs of great usefull info. They explained alot about fuels and EPA standards, along with the quirks and appetites of the engines. They explained the recommended maintenance procedures along with the proper operation and expectations of owners and operators. They made no excuses for the problems but gave some great science along with real world reasons and solutions for most issues. one of the most interesting things was the graphics showing the epa guidelines and the promises of fuel quality by the government to reach those standards. And as typical, we are all held to the epa rules but the government has far from delivered on the fuel. Those of you in the state where 50 plus Cetane ratings are average need not apply while us in the north east have a 36 average. I will try and post some of the more helpful and interesting info later its 1030 here and im going to bed

If you have the chance to attend one of these events and have the slightest interest in understanding some about these beasts......do it! :thumbrt:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Ford Diesels Info seminars

Post by Chief409 »

Matt, how did you learn about this?

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Jeff, I was in the local dealership gettting parts and they know me there. They said, " Hey Matt, your just the kind of guy we are looking for!" and offered up some flyers for the seminar. They had one planned across the street at a Chinese food restaurant but it was so popular they moved it to a function hall and added a second night. My sugesstion.....ask the service and or parts manager,
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Thanks Matt, I'll do that.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
snoking

Post by snoking »

So Matt they talked alot about fuel? Seems that bad fuel can really raise havoc with these new engines. Guy of RV.net/Ford forum is having a big issue right now. Ford says he put bad fuel with water in it and is refusing warranty coverage to the tune of 10 or 12K. Took out the high pressure injection pump/system. First dealer that did not know what they were doing and flagged his warranty, now Ford is refusing to reverse the ruling. Silly part is he was a super strong supporter of the product on RV.net and other forums.

Here is a quote from him on RV.net
Ricatic said:
"Those are the good things. Unfortunately, Ford has specified a fuel injection pump that requires better quality fuel than the current US standards. Although Ford dos not mandate the use of their PM22A fuel additive, prudent owners will use this additive in every tankful. If you have a injector pump failure, Ford will do everything they can to avoid paying a warranty claim on the engine. I have been down this road. The cost to repair the truck was over $9200. This was on a truck that has received meticulous maintenance. There never was any water in fuel warning light. I would make sure the dealer throws in a couple of cases of PM22A with your deal."

I would what to really know my dealer and keep him in my court at all times! And try to work with just him until the teething has settle down after a couple production years.

Of other note is there have been a handful of dead pedal reports. So watch out if you are making a left turn when traffic is rushing at you from the other direction. A case of dead pedal at that time will have the navigator slapping you on the side of the head.

These new trucks are really nice, however they are also very complex!

Chris
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

I have kept up with the posts on RV.Net by Ricatic. I don't put a lot of credit in what shows up on some of these sites. It is hard for me to believe that Ford would not repair one of these trucks that is under warranty unless they really have the proof that abuse occured. I really believe that there is something behind the scene that is not being told. I think that Ford will do their best to regain the market that it lost with the 6.0. This guy also stated that his insurance company was paying for the repairs. I don't understand why the automobile insurance company would pay for mechanical failure, unless he claims that someone put something in his fuel to cause personal damage to him. There is something fishy about his story.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Yep, he's been on other sites too and let's face it we're just hearing one side of the story.

Rob
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Yeah....story is messed up! They showed us at the seminar that they have actually beeen doing warranty work past warranty on the 6.0 and extending the warranty for ambulance companys. They also showed how they had been ignoring the damage done by biodiesel when it is specifically stated it will void warranty and repairing them anyway. Bassically if you got a good dealer or one willing to talk to the higher ups....they will repair the usual suspects of failure. I realize the motor is finiky but is you follow what is actually recommended as in changing ur oil and fuel filters, draining ur water separator every oil change, and with quality stuff at the correct intervals ur 99% good. These are complex systems that make the engine so clean and powerful, diesels are not simple machines anymore. The best thing you can do for them is to drive em and drive em hard. My service manager is trying to get me a copy or access to the slide show so the info can be spread far and wide. The more with access to the info.....the better.

It covers tons of info from turbos to filters to fuel to antifreeze to oil....lots of great info for all.
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Hi all.
Although I have had some issues with my 6.0...I love the truck. With 160K miles on it now, I found that at just about 100K miles Ford forgot who I was. Didn't care that I have been a dedicated Ford truck and car owner for 30 plus years. That being said, Doing some research on the web brought me to a site where I got alot of very good info and advice. One was a very simple fix that cured my 19 injector failures that even my dealer had no idea about. A simple fuel pressure regulator on the return line. That and nothing but Motorcraft filters have solved this for me. After my dealer found out about it, they now install it on every 6.0 that comes thru the door. My biggest problem was, why wouldn't Ford tell us about this? Dumb and just bad business.
Matt, I will contact my dealer and see if we can't get one of these seminars done here!
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

rpfan wrote:Hi all.
Although I have had some issues with my 6.0...I love the truck. With 160K miles on it now,
WHOA, that's great Rich. I hope to see 160K on my odometer one day. :thumbrt:

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Having good dealer maintenance and support, keeping to the recommended service schedule and only using recommended parts, I'm convinced is of the utmost importance when you intend to keep any of these new super powered, super complicated trucks for an extended length of time. My gasser '08 F250 4X4 with 140,000 miles on it has had one problem, and that was when I brought it to a different dealer then normally for a minor problem and the shop techs blundering caused a mess. And this is a work truck, run hard on and off road. For the two Super Duty's I've owned, gas and diesel, no problems what so ever.

PS: The PCM in the 6.7 retains codes if you chip it, alter the emissions equipment, etc. that CANNOT be erased. So, if you chip one and have a problem, removing the aftermarket stuff, and zeroing in the old way won't work. Bye Bye warranty as applicable. Found this in one of the Ford documents online.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Rob, I'm hoping to see 300 or more. Then I know I got my moneys worth from it before it gets replaced.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Rich is correct, teh fuel pressure regulator for the low pressure fuel system is a small part that can cause large problems. The goal would be to see 50 psi at the regulator which is just behind the upper fuel filter. Lots of trucks are seeing 40 psi or less, its a simple quick test and an easy change out that could save multiple thousands...........We were told ther is a tsb on it therefore dealers should be checking if you come in for fuel system work. I went back and checked the oasis on our 06 that has had a bazzilion injectors for the regulator being changed or pressure checked and nothing found. I will be checking the fuel pressure this month during seasonal checkups...on all 8 of the 6.0's.

For anybody interested, and some who say " hey I thought there was 20000 psi or more fuel pressure " there is. It is produced inthe injector by the intensifier that is basically a hydraulic piston driven by the 8000psi of high pressure oil made in the HPOP. now it works by the small chamber at the bottom getting filled with fuel at the low pressure hopefully at 50 psi, then the intensifier drives down into the chamber of fuel forcing it out the nozzle at 20000 plus psi. SO if the little chamber is only at 35 ish psi and the INTENSIFIER fires down with the thunder there isnt enough resistance to keep it from bottoming out. That can cause the head to keep smashing into the bottom destoying the head or splitting the injector itself, we pulled 2 out with the heads blown off because of this.

Moral..spread the word....check ur fuel pressure!!!!
Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Post by Samsbird »

Matt, thanks for the info....is there a port to install a pressure gauge on the regulator and if so is it located on top of the engine? Sounds like I really need to check this on mine.

Thanks
Randall
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

look behind the fuel filter there is the test port . ill try and find a pic