Anyone towing older Bird with newer truck?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

mopar25
Cardinal Owners: 2007 31LE RKS Fifth Wheel

Anyone towing older Bird with newer truck?

Post by mopar25 »

We are presently towing our 2000 27.5 RKS Cardinal with a 2001 Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton 4x2 that has the extra leaf in the tow package. The truck and RV are nice and level when driving. We are now considering a newer, perhaps 2008, Dodge or maybe a Chev/GMC. I've noticed that the boxes on these newer trucks are higher and that may cause a problem in not leaving enough space between the 5th and the truck box. What newer make and year of trucks are you driving with a bird such as ours? I've noticed in previous topics here and otherwise that some people have the trailer raised to meet the height of the truck but I would like to avoid that if possible. Thanks for any input.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4, 2007 31RKS
snoking

Re: Anyone towing older Bird with newer truck?

Post by snoking »

mopar25 wrote:We are presently towing our 2000 27.5 RKS Cardinal with a 2001 Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton 4x2 that has the extra leaf in the tow package. The truck and RV are nice and level when driving. We are now considering a newer, perhaps 2008, Dodge or maybe a Chev/GMC. I've noticed that the boxes on these newer trucks are higher and that may cause a problem in not leaving enough space between the 5th and the truck box. What newer make and year of trucks are you driving with a bird such as ours? I've noticed in previous topics here and otherwise that some people have the trailer raised to meet the height of the truck but I would like to avoid that if possible. Thanks for any input.
Most of the newer truck are tall as you say. Even the 2x4 seem higher now a days. We "flipped" (5.5") the axles on our 2005 29WBLX and then lowered it on the jack plates for a net 3.5 inch higher ride height. We did have to drill the center spring hangers where the equalizers are for the 2" inch higher holes. The end ones were drilled already.

Chris
jonandjolene
Cardinal Owners: Blue Ridge 3125RT

Post by jonandjolene »

We have a 2002 Cardinal 29WB and tow with a 2010 F250 Ford 4X4 with the tow package. We have a short bed extended cab and use a Pull-Rite slider hitch. We get along fine with about 10 inches of clearance between the box and the 5th wheel. We do have a little sag in the back of the truck when hitched and have considered putting air bags on. But, haven't had any trouble and we've pulled the trailer about 24000 miles with this truck.
Jon and Jolene
Both retired
2013 Blue Ridge 3125RT
2015 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4, 6.7 PSD
Pull Rite Super Glide slider hitch
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

It was a problem with my 08 Dodge 2500 2WD. I had the hitch raised as high as it would go to clear the sides of the bed. With the 2011 F350 4WD with the same hitch and trailer I have the hitch as low as it will go. The Dodge looked to have lower bed sides. Maybe the Ford is a bit wider. I never thought about measuring when I traded to see where the difference is. I also trimmed the pin box on the trailer to keep it from hitting on the Dodge.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I've pulled my 'Bird with a 2005 F250, and a 2009 F350 dually, both FX4 long beds. The hitch is adjusted about as low as it'll go, didn't have to make any changes from the 250 to the 350 (used the same hitch), the 'Bird tows level, plenty of clearance from the top of the bed rails, and the pin box doesn't come close to the truck.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:didn't have to make any changes from the 250 to the 350 (used the same hitch), the 'Bird tows level, plenty of clearance from the top of the bed rails, and the pin box doesn't come close to the truck.

Jeff
Ditto. :thumbrt:

Rob