Dully? 4x4 or 2x4?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Travelers

Re: Dully? 4x4 or 2x4?

Post by Travelers »

bigbunkhouse wrote: the 4k it was worth more than the 2wd is probably what the difference was new, as well a sthe diesels over gas, yeah they may be worth 8k more resale but it cost 8k more to get it! :lol:
Idea!
Purchase a 2wd and leave it with the rig when you store it in AR. Then take the above mentioned saving and purchase a small awd suv to get back and forth in to MN. :d
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Travelers wrote:
bigbunkhouse wrote: the 4k it was worth more than the 2wd is probably what the difference was new, as well a sthe diesels over gas, yeah they may be worth 8k more resale but it cost 8k more to get it! :lol:
Idea!
Purchase a 2wd and leave it with the rig when you store it in AR. Then take the above mentioned saving and purchase a small awd suv to get back and forth in to MN. :d
That's not a bad idea. Last year I used the 4 wheel drive for deer hunting in Minnesota, but I only needed it one time RVing in New Mexico at a state park. I had pulled a bit to far down a gravel hill for the site we were going in. If I had a 2 wheel drive I would have just gone around the park and stopped in the right spot.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
flyinbullmax
Cardinal Owners: 2006 Cardinal 31RK LE Fifth wheel
Skype ID: N/A

Dully? 4x4 or 2x4?

Post by flyinbullmax »

Hello every one, I'm new here and I'm impressed to see so much information. We bought a '06 Cardinal 31rkle last week and are in the process of buying a tow vehicule for it. First I was looking at a '04 F350 SD Lariat Dually with the 6.0l Diesel but I have read so much horror storys on this version of the 6.0l navistar that it made me change my mind. I started looking at GMC trucks and aimed my choice on a '04 GMC Sierra 2500HD short box, 6,0l Vortec 2x4. The hitch will be the one with the sliding tracks. We have a limited budget for now, thats why I look at a '04 with 145000km. We expect to drive around 5-7ks km per year and storing it for winter so I guess it should be good for a couple years. I'd like to know what you guys think about that choice for our Bird
Thanks

JP from Victoriaville Qc, Canada
'06 CARDINAL 31 RK LE
JeanPierre & Chantal
and Rosie the dog
Member of MAAC 78165
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

I am a died in the wool Ford man. Never driven anything else and probably never will. That said, if you are looking at anything from '03 through '05, the Chevy is probably the best way to go. ------------------------Dang, it hurt to say that! :ymtongue:
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
flyinbullmax

Post by flyinbullmax »

gmarker wrote:I am a died in the wool Ford man. Never driven anything else and probably never will. That said, if you are looking at anything from '03 through '05, the Chevy is probably the best way to go. ------------------------Dang, it hurt to say that! :ymtongue:
Thank you Gerry, You reassure me with your advise. I see so much Ford owners with problems, it scared me from Ford. I use to own a '85 F250 Lariat with the 6,9 diesel a few years back and it seems that they where trouble free back then. Maybe less power but hasselfree... I'm going to my Local GMC dealership next tuesday with the truck I want to buy and I will have it inspected($89) before buying. I'm sure it will be a well invested $89.
Thanks again

JP
'06 CARDINAL 31 RK LE
JeanPierre & Chantal
and Rosie the dog
Member of MAAC 78165
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

the Fords can be just fine, there are things to check and certain ways to own but we have 8 6.0L 04-06 diesels in the fleet now and we have very little problems. The Chevys are great trucks but the 6.0 gasser 2500 isnt enough truck for your trailer in my opinion, I believe max wt is 10,600 for 2500 6.0. We drive a 6.8L gasser v-10 with gobbs of torque and still the diesels have much more. One thing to check with any used truck is what ford calls the oasis report, it will tell you all the work for that vin number ever performed at a dealer, warranty, maintenance, recalls, etc plus will give you all the original build info. they can be gotten at any service desk of any ford dealer for free, for the 6.0 diesels they are more important than the carfax. If you may still consider the ford PM me and i can tell you what to look for and how to own one trouble free. Akways try to get the production date on the 03 - 06 fords---lots of changes in that time.

Matt
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

Well, no one has mentioned the Dodge, the best puller. Cummins diesel, good tranny now since 09, quiet. I have the 3500 dually, long box, 4 doors and love it. In fact, at the campground I left the truck running while checking in and a guy followed me in and asked "is that your truck"? Thinking he was going to say get out of my way, instead said "that is the quietest diesel I have ever heard"!
But I know you die-hard Ford and Chevy guys have to rationalize buying them. :D
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Shields wrote:Well, no one has mentioned the Dodge, the best puller. Cummins diesel, good tranny now since 09, quiet. I have the 3500 dually, long box, 4 doors and love it. In fact, at the campground I left the truck running while checking in and a guy followed me in and asked "is that your truck"? Thinking he was going to say get out of my way, instead said "that is the quietest diesel I have ever heard"!
I am one of the Ford guys, but if I was looking for a used truck in the years that were mentioned it would be a Dodge diesel. They are very reliable and have much more suspension than a Chevy. I bought one used 6.0 Ford and I am afraid to do that again. I do agree that the 6.0 gas Chevy would be underpowered for the Cardinal.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Shields wrote:Well, no one has mentioned the Dodge, the best puller. Cummins diesel, good tranny now since 09, quiet. I have the 3500 dually, long box, 4 doors and love it. In fact, at the campground I left the truck running while checking in and a guy followed me in and asked "is that your truck"? Thinking he was going to say get out of my way, instead said "that is the quietest diesel I have ever heard"!

Best puller? thats one opinion! I am all for any of the big three but a budget was mentioned as a reason for the 2004 model year so having to go to an 09 to get a good tranny i think is outa their budget range. On the other hand I agree a good 5.9 stick would be a great reiable affordable drivetrain to bad they wrapped it in tissue paper :))
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

To the original post, I have a 2wd Dually, and I got stuck in my own back yard once, on Ice......................so, if I was to drive it in the winter (I store it) It would be a 4x4 i f it were a dually......................NO Question. :d

I personally Love the Dually, as opposed to the srw , so, for me another no brainer.

Flying Bull Max..................here is a possible idea..............................I have been a "Hauler" (delievers new rigs to the dealers fron the Mfg.), and a good way to get a Cheap truck, with a LOT of highway miles is to buy a used hauler...............It meets the lower price, of a newer truck, and if you are tight for money right now, it might tide you over :-B .....................most will be a stick , all would be crew cab, with long beds.

I know you can find them on auto trader , and other places....................most guys drive them 2 years, and sell them outright, and buy another new one.

I would not discount buying a "Cummins" .........I love my " Cummins", and I said I would never own a " Dodge" .........................I own a cummins, it just came wrapped in a dodge wrapper :thumbrt: :thumbrt:
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Yep after owning 5 of them I always said the same thing, "I bought it for the Cummins" but I feel since Daimler got out of the picture I think the wrapper got a little thinner.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Mike...................Fraid I gotta agree with you there, not so fond of the new ones(dodge) just don't cut it for me. I know the Common Rail is quieter, but I still love my "Mechanical " truck :d
flyinbullmax

Post by flyinbullmax »

Hello all again, I just got back from our local Dodge dealership and purchased a 03 Dodge 2500 Heavy duty SLT Cummins longbox with a 4.10 differential. It has 171000km on it, its been very well cared for and looks like new.
Last edited by flyinbullmax on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'06 CARDINAL 31 RK LE
JeanPierre & Chantal
and Rosie the dog
Member of MAAC 78165
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

flyingbullmax, what transmission does it have? Auto 4 spd or manual 6 spd?
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Congratulations on your new truck. Now you just need a hitch and you're ready to hit the road with your new Cardinal. :thumbrt:

Rob