Dully? 4x4 or 2x4?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

bfast54

Re: Dully? 4x4 or 2x4?

Post by bfast54 »

Way to go................ :thumbrt: Nice looking Truck :d
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Good choice! Well i guess nobody buys candy for the wrapper either! hahaha
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

bigbunkhouse wrote: Well i guess nobody buys candy for the wrapper
:thumbrt:

Rob
flyinbullmax
Cardinal Owners: 2006 Cardinal 31RK LE Fifth wheel
Skype ID: N/A

Post by flyinbullmax »

Bruce, it has a 4 speed auto trans with a button on the shift lever to remove overdrive.
I'll be purchassing the hitch when we'll go pick up the Fifth wheel and they will install it and ajust it to my truck. It shoul'nt be too long because there was a hitch in it with the former owner. All the holes and brackets are already there.
Can't wait to have that kit.
Cheers
JP
'06 CARDINAL 31 RK LE
JeanPierre & Chantal
and Rosie the dog
Member of MAAC 78165
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Pretty exciting JP. Be sure to post a picture when you get the truck and trailer hooked up. :thumbrt:

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

flyinbullmax wrote:Bruce, it has a 4 speed auto trans with a button on the shift lever to remove overdrive.
I'll be purchassing the hitch when we'll go pick up the Fifth wheel and they will install it and ajust it to my truck. It shoul'nt be too long because there was a hitch in it with the former owner. All the holes and brackets are already there.
Can't wait to have that kit.
Cheers
JP
If there is a weak link in that truck it is that transmission, should be fine if you do not chip or program the truck for more power. As a precaution to avoid damage might I suggest if it does not have a transmission fluid temperature gauge that you have a trans shop install one or install it yourself. As a former owner of an 02 with same trans I did a lot of research on them. If you ever do have issues most shops now rebuild them with stronger parts and they are cheaper to rebuild than the more complex 5 & 6 speed autos.
On the bright side you have one of the finest diesel engines ever produced that will give you many miles of reliable towing & driving. That 5.9 was always my favorite.
Very nice looking truck too.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

Way to go flyinbullmax, another "goat" driver in the group. I suggest you get all the fluids changed so you are starting your towing with a fresh slate in the truck. If your new truck doesn't already have an exhaust brake I suggest you get one added as soon as finances allow, it make a great difference when pulling in the mountains. I'm not sure how km equates to miles but I've not had a single issue with my Goat in 68k miles, just change fluids regularly.
That's a good looking truck, hope to see it a a rally soon.
Welcome to the Club.
Bill
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Nice truck. I like that color, my 04 Ford was close to that color and it really looks nice. That Cummins will last forever and has great power. You will like towing with the Dodge much better that the Chevy with the 6.0. Hit the road and Enjoy.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Nice truck. :thumbrt:
Looking forward to seeing pics of the new rig too.
flyinbullmax

Post by flyinbullmax »

Thanks a lot guys, I'm very exited and can't wait trying that thing on the road. I should get the truck next week and the Fifthwheel will be only in april since we don't have room yet beside the house. I already installed the winter shelter and I will have to move the fence to enlarge the drive way. I'll post pictures the minute I have the trailer and truck joined toghetter.

Cheers
JP
'06 CARDINAL 31 RK LE
JeanPierre & Chantal
and Rosie the dog
Member of MAAC 78165
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Welcome to the club, it takes a little time to get everything together before that first trip.
Having a shelter will protect your investment when not traveling, post a few pictures of the birds new home.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
flyinbullmax

Post by flyinbullmax »

Hello all, I got a little more info on the truck. I talked to the former owner and he told me he had the trans changed recently and the fuel pump was upgraded to the one in the tank, He installed Ride Rite suspension air balloons, and the truck has been oil treated every other year. He said he was making 7.9litres per 100km non pulling, wich is good for a truck of this size. I imagine it won't be as economical when pulling our bird!
I use the machine every day and like it a lot, very confortable ride and very solid feeling. As an info, the reason that kept me away from buying a dually is that here in the Province of Quebec, the MOT requires that you have a annual mechanical inspection on all 3500 dually trucks because they are considered as working trucks and their tow capacity exeeds 9900lbs. The inspection costs around $75.
'06 CARDINAL 31 RK LE
JeanPierre & Chantal
and Rosie the dog
Member of MAAC 78165
flyinbullmax

Post by flyinbullmax »

Hello all, first of all We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!
I've been doing a little research on my truck for quotes on an engine brake system and found out I have a 305hp/555torque H/O 5.9 Cummins and the Banks salesman sent me a price of approx $2100 for their engine brake,plus installation time of around 6-7 hours labour.
I had an other one here in Quebec at $1500 but the guy did'nt know much about that type of brakes.
It's not much known here, let me tell you ! even the Dodge Dealer is ignorant about it...
Still looking
Oh, can someone tell me about Curt hitches, are they good and should I take a 16K or a 20K?

Thanks
JP
'06 CARDINAL 31 RK LE
JeanPierre & Chantal
and Rosie the dog
Member of MAAC 78165
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

J.P. Hope you had a Merry Christmas.. It appears your rig has a Gross capable weight just under 14.000 lbs..................so, you should be alright with a 16.000 lb hitch. But, if you can get the bigger 20.000 lb for a good price, you might want to (subject to my explanation of the hitch types below :-B ) .......because you may want to "Upgrade" to a larger rig, your truck can certainly handle it, so you only buy a hitch once ( usually)......................and you would have the capacity already built in.

I have seen curt hitches, and have not heard any bad things about them .................. I see the 16,000 has the Slide bar locking system (which I have and Love) it is all- most impossible to not secure the hitch, and thereby DROP your trailer.

The 20,000 one appears to have the "Jaws", which I do not like , ( but many hitches do indeed have this system). if you unlock or have a failure with the jaws , your trailer can drop onto the bed rails of your truck ( BIG DOLLARS) :shock: .................whereas ...............the slide bar, if you do not Physically PULL the bar(providing your hitch was properly closed ) ...............there is No Way it can come open, short of a Catastrophic failure of the hitch bar.

My veiw.....I would go with the Sliding lock bar ...............but that is just my view.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I agree with Mark, get the larger hitch. I did, and don't regret it. I upset the salesman when I bought the trailer and hitch, he ignored me when I told him exactly what hitch I wanted, and wrote up the sale with a 14k hitch he wanted to get out the door, he had to redo the sale paperwork, and order the hitch. It's been in three trucks now.

Mine isn't a Curt, but a Reese/DrawTite 16K Signature. The trailer gross weight is 13,080#, there is no doubt the hitch can handle the trailer. Also, there is no slack on the pin, so I've never had a problem with chucking.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.