Interesting Regen study

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Travelers

Interesting Regen study

Post by Travelers »

The purpose of my study was to see how regen impacted mileage. I wanted look at mpg prior to regen, during regen, after regen, and length (miles) of regen. I have the Edge Insight and use it monitor an assorted list of engine parameters. For this particular study I monitored the Soot % and EGT * at the turbo. I also used the mpg monitor in the GMC Digital Console display.

This study was conducted over a 96 mile distance in central Michigan at the speed of 67 mph on cruise. The truck had two passengers and the bed was empty. This was non-stop driving.

When the Soot hit 41% I reset the mpg in the DC. The DC was showing 18.2 mpg and EGT was at 550*. My truck regens at 44%. As soon as the regen light went on I reset the mpg on the DC. The mpg display dropped and final settled at 13.3 mpg and EGT at 690*. This continued for 28.6 miles – 0% Soot. As soon as the regen light went off, I reset the mpg on the DC. The mpg climbed to 20.8 and the EGT dropped to 550*. The test was concluded when I exited the freeway.

MPG prior to regen - 18.2
MPG during regen - 13.3
MPG after regen - 20.8
Regen took 28.6 miles

Disclaimer: I did not verify the accuracy of these monitors and expect yours results to vary. :d
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Interesting Regen study

Post by Mike Clay »

One thing to remember that regen startup is happening before the light comes on. The light on the insight will come on when the temps are met so it takes a few miles to get there. Your numbers are pretty much the norm from what mine does and what I see from others. Mine will go into regen at 43 grams of soot and will last from 28 to 32 miles freeway driving, of coarse this takes longer if you are in regen in town with stop and go driving. Also mine never goes to 0 grams after a regen, the lowest i have seen is 4 grams of soot. Also with the 9th injector this truck gets better mpg then my 08 did that dumped fuel into the exhaust system.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Mike Clay wrote:One thing to remember that regen startup is happening before the light comes on. The light on the insight will come on when the temps are met so it takes a few miles to get there. Your numbers are pretty much the norm from what mine does and what I see from others. Mine will go into regen at 43 grams of soot and will last from 28 to 32 miles freeway driving, of coarse this takes longer if you are in regen in town with stop and go driving. Also mine never goes to 0 grams after a regen, the lowest i have seen is 4 grams of soot. Also with the 9th injector this truck gets better mpg then my 08 did that dumped fuel into the exhaust system.
The regen light is triggered by the via the 9th injector per Edge. I've never seen it drop below 4% either. But that maybe do to more in town / stop and go driving during regen versus freeway regen. I just thought it gave me something to do while driving. :d I wonder if the new Ford or Dodge owners can try the same study as it would be interesting to see the diffence in regen management between the manufacturers.

I've noticed that regen occurs quicker based on what brand I used. So I'm starting to track miles between regen versus the brand of fuel I use.

Too much data available. Whatever happened to just driving and seeing the sites? :))
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Don't know what sensor you have yours set at so might be different readings, but mine is on the egt3 sensor and you can see the temps come up way before the light comes on. I have an alarm set at 43 grams since within 5 minutes of reaching that level the temps start rising. Also have the egt sensor alarm to go off at 1,120 degrees which occurs about 15 minutes in the regen cycle.

Yes way to much info between that and fuel management system not to mention the gps. At night my dash and gauges look like a 747 cockpit =)) gotta love it.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

Mike Clay wrote:Yes way to much info between that and fuel management system not to mention the gps. At night my dash and gauges look like a 747 cockpit gotta love it.
Just watchout for that ejection seat button :shock: :shock: =))
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

lol thats only on Susanna's side of the truck. =))
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Travelers wrote:Regen took 28.6 miles
Based on your speed of 67 mph the regen took approximately 25 minutes. Is that normal?

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

While we are on the subject I have noticed that my regens have gone from 280 miles (on one of the not so lucky ones thats having a problem) to 480 miles with the cooler weather. Also just for ducks today I have about 2,400 miles since I had the def tank filled and need to get rid of the 3 gallons I bought in the spring. Only took 1 1/2 gallons for some reason that is less then normal should have been closer to 2 1/2 gallons. Pump pressure is good so not going to worry about it might again have to to with the cooler temps.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:need to get rid of the 3 gallons I bought in the spring.
That brings up an interesting point. Do the DEF jugs have a "use by" date?

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

If you keep them around 70 degrees all the time they will last a year in the front of your trailer or in an unheated garage 6 months or so. I always buy 3 one gallon jugs just before I leave for Jackson and put them in the front compartment of my trailer. Never have had to use them so in November I start using them up then refill them in May.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

With DEF so available now I don't plan on storing any in the truck or trailer. It seems that a lot of guys buy the 2.5 gallon jugs and wait until they get the 800 mile message that way they know it will take the whole jugs without any left over.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

LOL do whatever you want Rob but I'm one of those that does not want to be in the middle of no where and having to look for def fluid.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I can appreciate that Mike. But if I'm out in the middle of nowhere and need it, i.e. ran out, it's my own fault for ignoring a bunch of warning messages. But nothing is written in stone so I'll just play it by ear and see how it goes. :d

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Well I have been down 5 gallons and never got a warning so I really do not put a lot of faith into the warning system. Dealing with this for 16 months and it not a really big deal but for piece of mind I will carry the extra. But to each his own :d
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:Well I have been down 5 gallons and never got a warning so I really do not put a lot of faith into the warning system.
Whoa, that's virtually empty with no warning message? Have you had the dealer check it out?

Rob