Truck Sales Are Up.

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Truck Sales Are Up.

Post by Chief409 »

Funny thing, I work for the UPRR and have NEVER seen a steam engine so I'm looking forward to this! One of my buddies is a Steam Fanatic, 5 trips to China, 2 or 3 to South America just to see steam engines in action. He has Pro Grade camera equipment, I have my Fujifilm camera, not a snap and shoot, one with a viewer that I'm happy with.

Where we're planning on shooting there shouldn't be anyone close, with the engine running on the mainline at speed, but I'll try to get into the yard at Yermo, if security will let me through. There's a new business the UP just started there, so the train will be spending the night Saturday at Yermo so all the VIPs can get to look at it, before they head for Vegas Sunday.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Looking forward to seeing your pictures Jeff.

Rob
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

I have photographed three steam engines and trains while they are moving and had good luck following along the route of the tracks because the trains usually are going slower than you can drive to the next place where the train tracks will be close to the road and catching them at different locations where there is a curve so you get the engine coming at you with the smoke coming out the stack but also the angle where you get the front and side of the engine as it passes you so you get the cars behind it. I usually scout out the tracks before hand when I shoot and try to find the conditions I like the best which also include bridges and hills where the engine has to work and pours out smoke and steam.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

A number of years ago, the C.O. Railroad ran "The Chessie Steam Special" down by Lansing, it was something else !!!!! I believe it was to support railroad crossing safety, but boy, it was a beauty. Don't remember the size, or configuration , but WOW!!! :-BD
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

There are a few Class 1 railroads besides the Union Pacific running steam engines on their lines, either their own, or engines from Historical groups and museums. You can find lots of information here: http://www.Trainorders.com

You can view the site and see thumbnail pictures for free, but the full sized pictures and video requires a paid subscription. I check it several times a day, with all the people posting, it's the best way to see whats impacting things - and there is more then one retired senior management type who sometimes puts out interesting historical, behind the scene, upper floor info here!

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
yellowbird

Post by yellowbird »

let's get back on the subject. Picked up my new 2012 Silverado 2500hd yesterday afternoon. I had ordered it about 6 weeks ago and finally got it. It's a beautiful truck and it came in almost the way I had ordered it! The paint is Granite blue metallic and I had ordered the titanium (gray) leather interior. They sent it with the cashmere (tan) interior. It's still a beautiful truck and since I had already sold my 2008 2500hd, I took it. It looks like I might be having a hookup problem. This new truck looks to be about 3 inches taller than the old truck. I have short legs and could just barely reach the hitch handle and safety clip on the old one, so I'll have to carry around a small step stool or ladder to reach this one. Also, we had about 6 inches of clearance between the Bird and the bed rails on the old truck, and with this truck being taller I'll probably have to adjust the pin box. I'll be going to Berryland Campers next week and let them worry with it. Also, I like to dress up my trucks and in anticipation of the new truck, i had ordered Chrome body side molding, wheel lip molding, chrome door handles, etc. However, this new truck has different body side molding than the 2011 models. I was able to call the distributor and stop the shipment of the molding, but the rep said they did not yet have moldings to fit the 2012 models, but would probably have it in a "few" months. Lynda's having surgery monday morning, and with my "nursing" duties, I'll have to put off playing with my truck for a few days, but part of the fun is the planning! If I can ever figure out how to post photos on this thing, I'll put some before and after photos.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Some have had problems with clearance but mine has 6 to 7 inches of clearance from the rail and is sitting almost level. Remember the truck will squat down 2 inches, at least on my one ton with a 2,700 lb pin did and I think Olbirds did the same.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
yellowbird

Post by yellowbird »

I had my hitch installed in the new truck today. Hooked up the bird when I got back home and it sits about 2 inches higher in the front than it did with the 2008 truck. Leaves about 5 inches of clearance between the trailer and the bed rails on the truck and it will pull a little more "nose High" than before but it should be ok. I figured out why this truck is taller than the old one. I ordered it with the 18 inch wheels and that option include the high profile tires. The old truck came with 16 inch wheels and tires. Also, old truck had 9600# gvw, new truck 10,000# gvw. Probably stronger leaf springs. I'll just have to be extra careful going in and out of real steep driveways, etc.
while at Berryland campers waiting on hitch install, I went through about 8 different models of cardinals. They were all nice, but the new interiors seemed to be rather dark and somber. Dark wood and dark
furniture. I even saw the new "baby" cardinal, only 32 feet long. It was a nice unit, but a little pricey for it's size (my opinion). I still like the floorplan of our 3100rk better than any other. I'm glad we got one before they discontinued that plan.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

yellowbird wrote:If I can ever figure out how to post photos on this thing, I'll put some before and after photos.
Please let us know if you're having problems posting pictures as we're still waiting for pictures of your new truck. :thumbrt:

Rob
yellowbird

Post by yellowbird »

been busy rigging out new truck. I went a little crazy according to Lynda. Mods consist of: tinted front windows and brow across top of windshield, striped truck with double pinstripes, silver and gold, installed chrome door handles, chrome fender lip mouldings, chrome window vents, chrome bug shield on hood and chrome mirror covers. I'm waiting for Putco to come out with lower door mouldings in chrome for the 2012 models, supposed to come out soon. I ordered every thing on line and installed it myself. Truck starting to look like I envisioned! Women can't seem to appreciate why we do things like that to our vehicles; must be a male thing!
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

If you can't post the pics email them to me and I will do it for you
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

yellowbird

Post by yellowbird »

i'm waiting till i finish everything, then i'll get my son to show me how to post pictures. He's my IT expert. Hopefully real soon.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Have him put a signature on here for you while he is at it. :d
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

yellowbird

Post by yellowbird »

will do !
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

yellowbird wrote:I had my hitch installed in the new truck today.
while at Berryland campers waiting on hitch install, I went through about 8 different models of cardinals. They were all nice, but the new interiors seemed to be rather dark and somber. Dark wood and dark
furniture. I even saw the new "baby" cardinal, only 32 feet long. It was a nice unit, but a little pricey for it's size (my opinion). I still like the floorplan of our 3100rk better than any other. I'm glad we got one before they discontinued that plan.
I agree on that with a number of diff. Mfg., I am a lighter wood type of person, makes it look Brighter and Airy. I have seen a number of newer rigs, with dark interiors. :roll: