Oil Drips at Intercooler Couplers

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Oil Drips at Intercooler Couplers

Post by dfredendall »

I am seeing scary things on my 2008 F-350 Powerstroke with only 71,000 miles. I see tarry, gooey oil dripping from the bottom clamp of my turbo to intercooler pipe coupler clamp at the lower left (driver) side of the grill area. I am also seeing oily sweating on the other intercooler coupler hoses and clamps. No oil leaks above that are running to a low point. All is super clean, that is why I found this so easily. I talked with a former Banks rep who said oil from the turbo shaft may be blowing past a bearing seal in turbo and infiltrating the air system from turbo to intercooler to intake. As best as I can see it is very slight. No crankcase oil disappearing on dipstick. I don't want crankcase oil to be vacuumed out by the turbo, nor do I want to gum up the intercooler with tar. Any thoughts from you diesel experts? I forsee another trip to Ford dealer, as warranty still applies here. Love this truck, my first diesel, but it has more dealer time than all the combined vehicles I have ever owned. Perhaps the nature of the beast.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Oil Drips at Intercooler Couplers

Post by campswithcritters »

Get it to that dealer while warranty in place. I have had cummins (2 models), duramax, and Detroit Diesels and never seen any oil on turbo system, could be impending failure?
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Some oil film in the turbo is considered normal but if you are seeing oil pooling or leaking your turbo is probably toast. In 2008 with the 6.4 diesels there were a lot of turbo failures. I would take it in now and get it taken care of or at least checked out.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
dfredendall
Council, Moderator

Post by dfredendall »

You guys are confirming my thoughts and fears. I'll keep you posted on what the Ford Doctor says and does.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Like Mike said, some oil from the turbo is normal. I would get it to a dealer and make sure that it is on record that you questioned the oil issue.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Of our fleet of 16 powerstrokes they all have some oil at almost all the couplers. Some id say drip while others barely have any, I was freaking out about it when I first started maintaining the fleet! :shock: But I was told that it is normal for trucks that do a ton of stop and go and short trips...exactly what a landscaper and plow guy does. The oldest truck is a 96 and the newest is a 2010 some have been noticeably wet for the 7 -10 years ive been working on them. None of them have ever had an issue related to the seepage. We have never replaced a turbo nor an intercooler and with mileage ranging from 55k to 215k Id say dont worry toooo much. Check ur crankcase ventilation system, if the truck never warms up for long periods the cold parts dont seal as well and you will get more blowby and therefore suck more moisture from the crankcase
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
dfredendall
Council, Moderator

Post by dfredendall »

Thanks Matt. I am monitoring matters, and will likely run into my dealer to have it checked out and make record of the concern. I still have warranty, so cost is nothing to me. I want this baby to last a long time. My gassers all ran 180,000 miles plus, having oil consumption by that time. I have no oil consumption, which diesels can have, and no other leaks. Seem to have all the proevious issues solved. Gee at 71,000 miles I am just getting broken in. I don't want to be broken down, especially with an Alaska trip planned for next Summer. My fuel economy is improving too, around 15mpg empty. Was at 12 mpg forever. Still get 10 mpg towing with GCVW 20,000 lbs.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
dfredendall
Council, Moderator

Post by dfredendall »

Jan 9, 2012 Update. Good News! No more oil leaking from the lower coupler. During a trip this past week to New Mexico, that coupler blew out. Good thing, it was at the exit for the campground, Elephant Butte Lake. Bad News, 75 miles to a dealer. We parked trailer, ordered a hose overnight via Car Quest parts store in Truth or Consequences. Great guys! Hose arrived, then I learned factory hose is 3" dia on one end, 3 1/4" diameter on the other. Bad news was, the new Gates brand hose was not going to work out. $50 loss. Band-aided the hose with Rescue Tape which held, and drove to dealer in Socorro. New hose installed with $100 deductible. The hose alone was $86. Hoses and pipes to intercooler coated with tarry oil as suspected. Service writer said turbo is "coking" and impellar will fail, requiring new or rebuilt turbo. I am now home with 500 miles left on extended warranty. Heading right away to my local dealer to see what they will do and get issue on record. I am not holding my breath on this. I still am under 100,000 '08 Ford diesel warranty, but approaching the 5 year limit.They usually require complete failure before warranty coverage kicks in. At 74000+ miles, I am not pleased. I expected no issues like this for a young truck. This truck has more dealer time than my past 10 vehicles combined. I am mindful of Matt's advice, but want Ford to know about it. It ran great coming home. Pulled passes and hills fine. I'll keep you posted.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Goodluck and keep us posted, The question now is which turbo was the dealer talking about? Ur 2008 is the first generation of the 6.4 with the two turbos. Also what is the production date?
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
dfredendall
Council, Moderator

Post by dfredendall »

Ford dealer in NM said "Guess what, both turbos will need to be torn apart and examined, thus doubling the cost to around $1500+ each." Yousers!!!! That is why I am heading to local dealer to squeeze my warranty. Production date for my truck is 02/07 on door post tag. I have had my share of "first year of the model" issues. Such as, various oil leaks, sensors, and 4 radiators in first 48,000 miles. They solved it with a TSB calling for a lower flow thermostat. High volume flow was blowing radiators. I still love how it runs and pulls. NM dealer raved about the 6.7 diesel, and tried to get me to upgrade. I'll give it a few years, and let others shake out the bugs. No amount of factory testing can replicate actual living road miles on a vehicle. I just hate being the tester.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
Chief-e9
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3100RK

Post by Chief-e9 »

I bought my 2007 F350 diesel in Nov 2010 with a little over 50,000 miles on odometer. For me, the best decision I made was later purchasing the bumper-to-bumper 60,000/60 month Ford extended warranty for $2450. Since then I've had to have the turbo worked on, both the EGR and oil cooler replaced, as well just having the heads, head bolts, glow plugs and harness, etc. replaced. Cost me $100 deductible each time. Truck now has 58,000 miles on it. I might suggest you look into buying an extended warranty if you plan on keeping the truck. I love mine but not sure if I'll ever buy another diesel. Guess I'm hoping that a gasoline engine vehicle will be developed that has plenty of low end torque. Ha!
Vickie (Retired RN), Roy (Retired AF) Baxter the Shih-Tzu (RIP Nov 2014) Bella Mae the Shih-Tzu (RIP Aug 2021)
2011 Ford F-350 Long Bed Crew Cab Diesel
2010 Cardinal 3100RK
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Chief-e9 wrote: the best decision I made was later purchasing the bumper-to-bumper 60,000/60 month Ford extended warranty for $2450. Since then I've had to have the turbo worked on, both the EGR and oil cooler replaced, as well just having the heads, head bolts, glow plugs and harness, etc. replaced. Cost me $100 deductible each time. Truck now has 58,000 miles on it. I might suggest you look into buying an extended warranty if you plan on keeping the truck. I love mine but not sure if I'll ever buy another diesel. Guess I'm hoping that a gasoline engine vehicle will be developed that has plenty of low end torque. Ha!
It sounds like it was a very good investment for you, but the thing you have to be aware of on those extended warranties is that most of them are wrap warranties which means the 60 months start from the day the vehicle was first purchased not from the day you bought it.

The one I bought has paid for itself but I made sure it was from the day I purchased the vehicle and the dealership still tried to back out of it when i had problems but when I threatened to file a claim against them with the Better Business Bureau they came around.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Chief-e9
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3100RK

Post by Chief-e9 »

[quote:] It sounds like it was a very good investment for you, but the thing you have to be aware of on those extended warranties is that most of them are wrap warranties which means the 60 months start from the day the vehicle was first purchased not from the day you bought it.] [quote][/quote]

You're absolutely correct. Fortunately, mine is good for 60/60 starting the day I bought the warranty and the mileage on the truck at that day. I've got approx 58,000 miles and 56 months left on it which for the amount of miles I tow per year should last for at least four years. Yea! :D
Vickie (Retired RN), Roy (Retired AF) Baxter the Shih-Tzu (RIP Nov 2014) Bella Mae the Shih-Tzu (RIP Aug 2021)
2011 Ford F-350 Long Bed Crew Cab Diesel
2010 Cardinal 3100RK
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I bought the 60/60 extended warranty for the 2012, and had one on the '09 6.4, for which I received a check from Ford for the unused portion. Knock on wood (thud) I've never used it, but, if I didn't have it ... Life is full of surprises.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
dfredendall
Council, Moderator

Post by dfredendall »

I bought my '08 truck new in May '07. It came with Ford's 3yr/36000 bumper to bumper, plus the '08 Ford diesel 100,000 mile warranty. I think they added that after all the earlier 6.0 liter diesel issues. I also bought a Ford extended warranty that was 5 yr, 75,000 miles for $1548, with $100 deductible. I am now at 74468 miles, with the 5 yrs running out in May '12. I just delivered the truck to my purchase dealer with the issue of oil in the turbo system and intercooler. When the turbo coupler hose was replaced last week in New Mexico the inside was coated with tarry oily goo. New Mexico Service writer said the turbos are "coking" and WILL fail. My local dealer is familiar with "coking", and is going to evaluate it and consult with Ford. I explained my pending trip to Alaska and the lack of service/dealers in Yukon. I suggested they do not want the tow bill for truck and trailer. I do not want a break down (of the truck or me). Should know their verdict in a day or so. I'm praying for good news. They all keep saying to buy the 6.7, "It is wonderful" I said I'd let Jeff work out all the bugs before I consider dumping $60,000+ on another new truck. Mine is barely broken in!
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California