Oil Drips at Intercooler Couplers

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Oil Drips at Intercooler Couplers

Post by Chief409 »

Here is hoping it gets all fixed correctly. :thumbrt:

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

FINAL VERDICT is in from Ford. After they opened up all the turbo couplers, examined their findings and conferred with Ford mfg. tech support they say it is "normal oiling' within range for what they see. They asked if I was losing crankcase oil , or coolant, and it is not. Since that is not an issue it is still "normal". They will not do anything at this time because there is no actual "failure." They documented their findings and patted the truck and me on the butt and said "Thanks. See-ya" I suggested that a tow bill from the Yukon Territory will be "very 'spensive" if it fails on my Alaska trip in June. I cannot worry about what has not happened, so I shall drive it like I have been and not worry about it. I do my own maintenance so I can monitor things. It still runs and pulls great! Case closed.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

I would not worry about oil in the turbo hoses as long as it is not using oil or smoking. I have had three 7.3 and one 6.0 Fords and they have all had oil around the hoses. The Duramax that I owned did too. I had a Cummins, but not long enough to tell if it was going to have the same signs. The oil in the hoses is one of the reasons that when they blow off they will not stay on when you reinstall them. I would be more concerned with the hoses blowing off unless they installed new ones when the had them off to do the checks.

If you have never had one of the hoses blow off you are in for the surprise of your life. It is VERY loud and the hood of the truck will jump.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
dfredendall
Council, Moderator

Post by dfredendall »

Thanks for your encouragement. It is comforting to know I am not so unique in the diesel world.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
Torben

Post by Torben »

Dana, mine has come off 3 times and let me tell you when it does it will wake you up :d

dfredendall
Council, Moderator

Post by dfredendall »

When the lower hose split last week in New Mexico it sounded like a tire blew out. Previously while we were travelling with a friend, we were following him and his upper hose blew off, pulling a steep grade with a very heavy 5th wheel. I heard it from way back. You are right, it is huge, and would be scary. I checked over all the couplers and clamps when I picked up my truck. I'm gonna drive it like I stole it... I have two extra clamps and a spare hose for giggles. Point of note; all hoses are different sizes. One size does not fit all in this case. Standard hose clamps are inadequate, and won't work in a jam either.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California