Truck Brakes

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Truck Brakes

Post by Traveler II »

I picked up my truck from the dealer today. I wanted it checked out before we head out for the winter. All was great, but I was surprised on the report on our brakes. I wanted them checked and I was told that we still have 80%, we have 54,000 miles on them and I thought for sure we would be looking at replacing them by now. I was impressed.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Rob & Cathy

Re: Truck Brakes

Post by Rob & Cathy »

All those highway miles make a difference Jim.

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Rob & Cathy wrote:All those highway miles make a difference Jim.

Rob
Variable vane turbo makes a big difference, it helps you brake.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Engine braking does wonderful things for brake life. I always use Tow/Haul in my work '08 F250 5.4 and managed to get 131,000 miles out of the brake pads, without going metal to metal. The front rotors needed to be turned, and all the pads replaced. That's it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've had three different work trucks here, and always needed new brake pads or shoes by 40,000 miles, with the front rotors turned the first time, and replaced the second time the pads were replaced. But those trucks didn't have Tow/Haul for engine braking either.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Our 2008 doesn't have the engine brake feature. I've looked at having an after market system put on but have been told that it might create problems, especially with an automatic transmission. Tow/Haul mode using Allison is a great feature for slowing us down and I'm sure if I had a newer truck like you guys have with the engine brake would even be better.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Traveler II wrote:Our 2008 doesn't have the engine brake feature. I've looked at having an after market system put on but have been told that it might create problems, especially with an automatic transmission. Tow/Haul mode using Allison is a great feature for slowing us down and I'm sure if I had a newer truck like you guys have with the engine brake would even be better.
Jim, you do have a variable vane turbo though. Thats why when descending in tow haul the second or third time you touch the brakes the truck seems to help slow the load more. It is like a mini-exhaust brake. It closes the vanes acting like a shutter that an exhaust brake has.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

He has a variable vain turbo but has nothing to do with the grade braking just mainly the Allison.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Tow/Haul, at least in the Ford's, locks the torque converter and changes the shift schedule, both in the gas engine and the diesel rigs. The turbo provides the engine brake with the diesel engines. Like Bruce said, apply the brake and the tranny should shift down on a downgrade in Tow/Haul. Or manually select a lower gear. My work truck, in Tow/Haul, coming off a mountain in 1st, only requires me to use the brakes to stop, becuase the engine is winding up and can't hold the truck back. Both diesels I've had use the turbo and tranny to brake in the same manner. No boost, no fuel, holding the MAP way low making the engine work against compression like a gas rig, and a locked torque converter.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Tow haul in the 08 Chevy locks the torque converter and the tranny shifts down while slowing you down as Jeff said. With the weight of my trailer it would push me down the hills and you needed to stay on top of it. The newer trucks use the variable vain turbo to create reverse horse power plus having the tranny locked in, you can watch the boost come back up while the brake is holding you back.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
wild acres

Post by wild acres »

Finally put new pads on all the way around at 100,000 miles, have extra set of rotors, brother turns them and keeps in tool box, go to Dodge dealer after closing hrs and do the rotors and look bottom over while on lift. I like cheap service as high as everything else is. Got to get tires for the bird again, been almost 5 years, blew two off in 2008. Like to keep road trips easy, on me and my equipment. Brother only charges me a steak dinner, fits my budget perfectly.
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

With only one tow with the 2012 Bubba, and that going down Tejon pass in heavy traffic, I do recall the boost going up on the downgrade, I think. Between the traffic, and just driving, I really wasn't looking much at the panel, BUT, I can say the 2012 Ford 6.7 held the downhill speed better then the 2009 6.4 diesel, which also does an excellent job. New engine and tranny, a few years to improve the technology.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret