Trailer brake controller location

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

mopar25
Cardinal Owners: 2007 31LE RKS Fifth Wheel

Trailer brake controller location

Post by mopar25 »

Just bought an 08 Ram 3500 and it didn't have a brake controller. Has anyone installed one that looks like it belongs there and not appear as though it was just slapped on the lower dash anywhere. I want it to look neat and tidy when done. Thanks for any info.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4, 2007 31RKS
bfast54

Re: Trailer brake controller location

Post by bfast54 »

What type, brand are you thinking???? Most now can be mounted pointing up, down, etc......... also, are you looking at one with more hook-ups than just wire (there used to be one with a wire to the brake pedal assy), so, these will effect where you mount it.

Mine is under the dash, just to the right of my knee...looks like it belongs there I think. :thumbrt:
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

It also needs to be where you'll be able to operate it manually in an emergency while driving.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

I have the 06 Dodge and it was not built in and is mounted under the dash by my right knee. I looked around when I changed from a Valley controller to a Prodigy and without cutting into the dash that was still the best place I found. They may have changed the configuration of the dash from 06 to 08 so there maybe a slot you can remove and put the controller in.

Good Luck

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
mopar25
Cardinal Owners: 2007 31LE RKS Fifth Wheel

Post by mopar25 »

I'm getting the prodigy controller and the 06 and 08 are similar dashes. I am opting for the right side of the steering column so it will be more accessible and the wiring can be better hidden. I've seen some with the controller on the left and when you open the door you see the, sometimes messy, wiring.

Thanks for your replies.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4, 2007 31RKS
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

I put mine to the right side, of my right knee.(I believe just like Don).......................I caution you to not put it Right in Front of your Knee....... :shock: ............in a " Sudden Stop" you DO NOT want your Knee to go into it. The dash will give a bit, the controller would "Leave a Mark", as it were :d

26-27 years in Fire Service/E.M.S..............................You see a lot of interesting things, after Sudden stops.........into other things, etc............. :-B