New Tires

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Rob & Cathy

Re: New Tires

Post by Rob & Cathy »

That's great mileage on those tires especially with all that towing. :thumbrt:

Rob
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Help, My truck needs tires, have been talking to a couple of tire shops and one guy said I should go to a 14ply tire with the load I am towing. The truck now has 4 cooper tires which need changing and 2 firestone which are in great shape, I am thinking about having the almost new firestones put on front and get 4 new ones for the back, does this sound OK.As for the back I am looking at Goodyear Wranger Dura Trac at $216 each plus instalation, does this sound OK? The truck uses LT235/85R16.
The camper tires look great with little ware they are also Cooper LT235/85R16, the DOT date 0406, I plan to run them for a while longer. Does this all sound right, I am not so sure about the tires, as I found on the internet that these tire companys may make 4 to 6 different tires with the same name and some number after it. I am open for advise.....Jim :?:
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

Jim,
Are you sure you want to put "Mud" tires on that truck? Unless you plan on getting "off road" I think you'll be happier with a highway tread tire as the "Mud" tires can be rather noisy on the pavement and you'll typically get better tire mileage wear.
Goodyear and Cooper are both good tires. Others on here have had good luck with Firestone, Bridgestone, and BF Goodrich tires as well. I'm not sure you will find 14 ply rated LT tires in a 16" size, and if you do I would question whether you truck wheels are rated for the weight or air pressure for those tires. The maximum pressure should be stamped on the wheel somewhere, check it out before you spend the extra money. Most of us are running load range E (10 ply rated) tires and doing just fine.
You might want to check out a few other tire stores before you buy. A lot of us have been very happy buying at Discount Tire or American Tire because they have stores all over most of the Country. Another choice might be Sam's Club or Sears, again because you can get service just about anywhere you might be.
Bill
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Bill Thanks, just what I need, you are right, with the 4x4 on the truck, the ride would be better with highway tread, we went to LA yesterday and had 85psi in rear tires, bounce all over the road, will reduce the rear back to 65psi when not pulling the camper. Also I thank Sears sells michelins, which is what ran on my trucks years ago. Thanks Jim :thumbrt:
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

You should be running no more then 80 psi if you have 10 ply on the truck. I would shop around because you do not need 14 ply tires for what you are towing.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Mike / Bill, Thanks again , I ordered Cooper tires today from Sears for $161, the same tire that the previous owner had on both the truck & camper. The tires on camper have a DOT stamp of (0406), I think they are 6 years old, but still look real good. Anyway when we get to Memphis, I will let you guys have a look & tell me what you think. Jim :thumbrt: