Fickle FICM

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Fickle FICM

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Most of you with the 6.0 fords have heard the horror stories or even experienced the FICM issues. The dealer wants 1300 plus to replace (with rebuilt) or you can buy one for 500 or so and bring it to ford to have them program it to your vin for a cool 150 or so. I had heard thru the grapevine that the main cause of failure is heat and vibration causing solder joint failure, (good thing its mounted to the drivers valve cover :roll: )....anyway....Just b4 Christmas we had a truck with the classic symptoms. I decided if others can do it why cant I, so I tore it off, pulled it appart and found 16 loose connections. A couple hrs and some solder and a steady hand.....viola...better than new. Stabalized the new work with high temp hot glue and it cost 2 inches of .040 solder and 3 hrs of my time. If any of you want to attempt it PM me and ill help any way I can :thumbrt:

PS. you have to be a contortionist and be good working blind just to get it out....but what a savings
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
snoking

Re: Fickle FICM

Post by snoking »

I have an issue with the PCM in my Dodge in that the over drive button will not lock out OD. I have been tempted to open it up for a look-see. Will wait until I get home in the spring. You give me courage.

I installed a toggle switch as a work around. Chris
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Matt, did mine about 6 months ago. There is info that I will email you about this issue. There may be more to it than you may have seen. There was with mine, it was good to have this info when it went toes up.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Thanx rich, I ran tests to all available info and specs and the way I look at it is that somebody had to learn about it and the more I can learn the better. I tend to view the info I gather as as general guide but look more and investigated as much as I can because it was somebody like us who dove in the first time and we are never done learning :thumbrt:
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

My Brother in law did mine. He is a design engineer for IBM. He found some other things (above my pay grade!) that needed attention as well. Heat sincs were to close to things that don't like heat. His quote was "it is designd to fail" as any engineer would (should ) know better to place these parts close to one another

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

I agree, it is a bad design and has terrible placement in the engine bay. International says it was placed on the motor because it is part odf the "assembly" and is used in ford and International applications. Seems these days more parts are disposable because it would cost a couple cents more to do it correctly. When I was in college, i took a bunch of electrical engineering and circuit building classes along with my mechanical engineering and physics studies. I never had intentions of working directly in any field but as the courses interested me Id elaborate, best thing I ever did at school was to get hands on and help build a "mini baja" for an asme competition and help on the solar boat competion. I had to show the engineers how to solder 2/0 electrical connections, turns out their butane powered pen soldering irons just didnt have the heat...LOL

I get paid to maintain these trucks so fixing them is fine with me, if your buddy can build a better one he would have a great business. He could accept cores and rebuild them how they should be built.....hed be rich! His brains and his money....we can go far :lol:
paul7x57mm
Cardinal Owners: 2004 33 CKT
Skype ID: paul7x57

Post by paul7x57mm »

I receintly had problems with my ficm and sent it to circuit board medics for repair. It cost about $350 to have it repaired. My truck runs and starts better than it had in a long time. www.circuitboardmedics.com they offer same day service for $30 more. You can send it out NDA and they repair it the next day you get it back the next day.
Paul and Anita 2004 LX33 CKT, 2006 F-250 PSD 6.0 Supercrew shortbox, Airlift Bags, Drawtite w/slider & Moryde

Nights camping in 2011: 7
Nights camping in 2010: 21
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Thats a great option for people, Thanks for the tip! Where did you here of them?
paul7x57mm
Cardinal Owners: 2004 33 CKT
Skype ID: paul7x57

Post by paul7x57mm »

I ran across circuit board medics on the internet when I was having trouble with long crank times on my 6.0 psd. At that time, the ficm produced no codes on the truck computer. Long storey shortened, truck started running bad like fuel injectors not working. A friend of mine checked the codes and found the codes for ficm.
Knowing this is inherant problem with 6.0 I took it out and sent it off for repair. The ficm module is easily removed with couple of bolts.
Paul and Anita 2004 LX33 CKT, 2006 F-250 PSD 6.0 Supercrew shortbox, Airlift Bags, Drawtite w/slider & Moryde

Nights camping in 2011: 7
Nights camping in 2010: 21
TexasBBQ
Cardinal Owners: 2004 Cardinal 33CKT

Post by TexasBBQ »

I was going to attach the list of codes and their meanings but apparently there's no way to attached items pdf, photos, or anything.
----------------
2004 Cardinal 33CKT
F250 Super Duty CCab 4x4
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

TexasBBQ wrote:I was going to attach the list of codes and their meanings but apparently there's no way to attached items pdf, photos, or anything.
I brought this to olbird attention. He can help.