Question About Ford Exhaust Brake

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

dc471
Cardinal Owners: Blue Ridge 3025RL

Question About Ford Exhaust Brake

Post by dc471 »

I am seriously considering purchase of a 2012 F350 SRW. We 5vr weighs approximately 13,500 loaded. I like the idea of the exhaust brake as we travel through the Rockies each year. Any comments of the effectiveness of this item would be appreciated.
Joel & Karen
2011 Blue Ridge 3025RL
2012 F350 Super Duty 6.7 4x4 CC King Ranch
snoking

Re: Question About Ford Exhaust Brake

Post by snoking »

dc471 wrote:I am seriously considering purchase of a 2012 F350 SRW. We 5vr weighs approximately 13,500 loaded. I like the idea of the exhaust brake as we travel through the Rockies each year. Any comments of the effectiveness of this item would be appreciated.
The Ford brake works a little different that others and one needs to learn how to use it correctly. The GM and Dodge brake may work a little better and be more user friendly.

Chris
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Post by Donpop »

Joel:

I have a 2012 Ford F350 SWR Crew Cab LB with the new 6.7. I have not towed with it in the mountains but we have to cross the Eastern Kansas Flint Hill region to get to our country place. I have a 34 Quad Slide(39-40ft) with a GVW of 15,500 and double tow a 6x10 trailer with two Yamaha Grizzly ATVs. There are some pretty steep long hills. I just set my cruise control at 65 - 68 or whatever and the exhaust brake in conjunction with the tow-haul mode going down hill holds it automatically(no buttons to push) at what ever speed I set. The new 6.7 is awesome and I am one happy camper. Previously I had a 2002 V10 and a 2008 V10 which were trouble free but with this new truck I just smile, sit back and relax. Can't hardly tell my rig is back there and getting 1.75 to 2x the mileage. Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Bubba weighs 9200#, the 'Bird appx 13,000# so a combined weight of 22,000#. With my 2012 F350 6.7 dually, I select Tow/Haul and using cruise control descending a 6% grade it maintains the set speed. Without cruise control, I use the truck brake to set my desired speed, the tranny downshifts and the truck holds that speed. No extra button pushing is required, if Tow/Haul is selected you have engine/tranny braking. And it isn't exhaust braking, the turbo's shut the airflow to the cylinders, no fuel from the injectors, so you're getting compression braking, same as a gas engine. And the torque converter is locked.

Selecting and using this is same as with any prior year Super Duty trucks with automatic transmissions, but for three things - the power, fuel mileage and engine braking is so much better. I never thought I'd ever see 15.0 mpg driving a 9000# dually at 75 mph (no trailer), and that includes some steep, long grades over passes with an elevation change of 4000', on both sides of the pass, using cruise control. :)

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:And it isn't exhaust braking, the turbo's shut the airflow to the cylinders, no fuel from the injectors, so you're getting compression braking, same as a gas engine. And the torque converter is locked.
I've always contended that engine braking in a gas engine was not due to compression but rather vacuum. I believe that a throttle-bodied gas engine has better engine breaking that on older diesel engine without an exhaust brake even though the diesel has much higher compression. As you've mentioned Jeff the newer diesel shut the airflow to the cylinders as gas engines have done.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

The VVT basically works the same as the jacob brakes I use to run on my Dodges. The vanes shut off the air flow and create back pressure in addition while in tow haul mode the torque converter is locked up so no slippage like a manuel transmission would be.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
snoking

Post by snoking »

Mike Clay wrote:The VVT basically works the same as the jacob brakes I use to run on my Dodges. The vanes shut off the air flow and create back pressure in addition while in tow haul mode the torque converter is locked up so no slippage like a manuel transmission would be.
Mike you have it correct. The variable vanes are on the exhaust side. When they are closed they block gases from exiting the engine. The intake side of air flow remains the same, with a straight shot to intake valves. Chris