Exhaust Brake

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

LuvRving
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 3030RS

Exhaust Brake

Post by LuvRving »

I received my new GMC 3500HD D/A last week and I love it. My first diesel truck. The owner's manual comes with a diesel supplement. In this supplement it says that these pickups come with an exhaust brake. It shows a diagram of the exhaust brake selector button located just between the two power outlets below the climate control panel. However, there is no such button on this pickup. There are two buttons on my truck located in the same spot but they are the stablitrack and the exhaust particulate cleaner button. I've searched the 2012 brochure options list and the online build your own option list and there is no mention of the exhaust brake as an option. There is a brief mention of the exhaust brake in the brochure but it's not listed anywhere as an included feature or an option. I now that the tow haul mode will assist in downhill braking but I had that in my last truck that was not a diesel. Can anyone clarify if the tow haul mode will work just as well as an exhaust brake. I would have ordered the exhaust brake option if I had known it wasn't included with all diesel pickups. I'm guessing that adding it now would be costly if that is even an option. Maybe it's an older diesel supplement. Confusing for sure.
Joe and Yvonne
2012 GMC 3500HD CC SRW D/A 4X4 Curt Q24
2012 Cardinal 3030RS
Nights camped 2012 - 119, 2013 - 108, 2014 - 112, 2015 - 121

The cares of tomorrow can wait until this day is done.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Exhaust Brake

Post by Mike Clay »

If you have the diesel you have the exhaust brake. I will take a pic of what and where the button is on mine and post it this morning. No the grade braking alone from the tranny does not work as well as the transmission and exhaust brake
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Your new 2012 truck should have the exhaust brake, it is not considered a option that you can order or not.
I have not looked at the 2012 models to see if they moved the button but I have a late 2011 and it is between the two power outlets below the climate control panel just as you said.
I will do some research for you.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

From what I can see in the picture of the new 2012 trucks dash the new 2012 now has four buttons just as the 2011 trucks have, if you do not have adjustable pedals you may have three buttons.
It looks like the exhaust brake button is the last button beside the pass side power outlet, try pushing that button and see if a little light comes on showing the exhaust brake is on.

George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

It is the button on the far right. On my option package I also have adjustable pedals (first button)rear backup sensors (second button) stabile track (third button) Here is a closeup of what the button looks like. There is no particulate button cleaner that is probably your exhaust brake since regen (cleaning the dpf) is an automatic function and you can not control it

Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

LuvRving
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 3030RS

Post by LuvRving »

Stop the press!!!!

I just came back from the dealership. When I took delivery of the truck the salesman gave me a tour of all the features and he said that the button was the button for selecting the exhaust particulate cleaner manually. When I went back this morning he said the same thing. I asked to talk to a mechanic about my issue. He said that I already have the exhaust brake. He came out to the truck, started it up, pressed the button and sure enough the exhaust brake message came up . I think the salesman learned a few things today!

Problem solved. Thanks for your replies!

I'm exhausted!!!!
Joe and Yvonne
2012 GMC 3500HD CC SRW D/A 4X4 Curt Q24
2012 Cardinal 3030RS
Nights camped 2012 - 119, 2013 - 108, 2014 - 112, 2015 - 121

The cares of tomorrow can wait until this day is done.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

I just printed this off the 2012 GMC truck site and just as Mike said if you have a diesel you have a exhaust brake.
If you find this is not correct on your Diesel Truck please let us know.

The Duramax 6.6L diesel and Allison 1000 six-speed automatic transmission powertrain combination is available on all 2500HD and 3500HD models – including Denali HD – helping Sierra HD trucks deliver best-in-class capabilities. Highlights include:

397 horsepower (296 kW) at 3000 rpm.
765 lb.-ft. of torque (1,037 Nm) at 1600 rpm.
High-pressure (30,000 psi/2,000 bar) Piezo-actuated fuel system for greater fuel efficiency, improved performance and reduced emissions.
Exhaust brake system that enables controlled vehicle slowdown on downhill grades without actuating the brakes.
Selective catalytic reduction after-treatment system using diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) injection to provide the best overall diesel characteristics and performance – with a range of about 5,000 miles (8,000 km) between DEF refills.
Combustion and after-treatment have been optimized to provide about 700 miles (1,125 km) between diesel particulate filter regenerations – a 75-percent improvement over the previous system and significant contributor to improved fuel efficiency, as the regeneration process requires additional fuel.
B20 biodiesel capability for an alternative fueling option.
The Allison 1000 features driver shift control with tap up/tap down shifting and a patented elevated idle mode cab warm-up feature. Also, the tow/haul mode reduces shift cycling for better control and improved cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads.
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Thats great, we just did not want you to worry about not having it.
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Glad you got it worked out enjoy your new truck
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

LuvRving wrote:Stop the press!!!!

I just came back from the dealership. When I took delivery of the truck the salesman gave me a tour of all the features and he said that the button was the button for selecting the exhaust particulate cleaner manually. When I went back this morning he said the same thing. I asked to talk to a mechanic about my issue. He said that I already have the exhaust brake. He came out to the truck, started it up, pressed the button and sure enough the exhaust brake message came up . I think the salesman learned a few things today!

Problem solved. Thanks for your replies!

I'm exhausted!!!!
WOW.................A salesman who did not know what they were talking about...... :shock: ...I have never heard of such a thing =)) =))

Sounds like you have a nice new truck.. :thumbrt: ...spend time learning about , and Esp. Enjoying it. ;)
JJones
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BH 5th Wheel

Post by JJones »

I know this is an older thread but i wanted to throw in some info about this for those who may not know. For the Duramax guys 04.5-10 that did not have this option from the factory you can have it tuned in with EFI Live. I have it on my truck and LOVE it. the guy that wrote my tunes (i have 5 select on the fly tunes) wrote me a 50hp tow tune with the turbo break and it sure does help slow things down! If anyone wants any information on this shoot me a PM and ill give you all the info i have.
Jonathan Jones
2007 Cardinal 362BHLE w/Half Bath Option
2006 Chevy 2500HD D/A 4x4
B&W Turn Over Ball W/ B&W Companion