Im Back to FORD

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Re: Im Back to FORD

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
I would have traded the electric rear window for cabin clearance lights.
this is for you Rob
1. Remove Driver and Passenger side grab handle plugs, then remove the four (4) bolts holding the handle on with a 5/16" socket.

2. Pop the plastic pillar covers off.

3. Remove visor screws. If you have lighted vanity mirrors, becareful of the wiring that runs inside visor mount. Disconnect visor wiring.

4. Tug on overhead console if you have one, to remove.

5. Look for two (2) more plastic clips holding headliner in front. Wiggle to remove. Once, headliner is loose in front, pop plastic rivets holding wiring for overhead console. this wiring come from the passenger side kick panel.

6. Find the center of the roof. Once found mark with grease pencil. All lights should be 5.5" from rubber of the windshield to the center hole of cab lights. (7/8" hole)

7. Use these measurements to create template. Mark with grease pencil

[ O-----13"-----O---8"---O---8"---O---8"-----13"-----O ]

8. Place template so center hole is center centered with on the roof. Secure Template. Use a punch to make small dents where holes will be placed.

9. Place masking tape over dents to preserve paint from drilling. Use 7/8" knock out tool to make center holes. The outer holes for the studs drill 1/4", allowing for some fudging. Install lights to roof.

10. Finish up by doing some trimming to the lights for good fit. Plug lights in to harness and reinstall Headliner, visors and pillar plastics.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f55 ... ts-192438/
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

LOL, thanks Dave but I think I'll leave it up to the dealer if I decide to have it done. :d

Rob
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

I put Clearance lights on a truck a number of years ago....was a lot of fun.... :roll: ..I gotta admit drilling into a NEW TRUCK............. :-ss ....But, I liked the way it looked :thumbrt:
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Dave, do you have any fuel economy numbers for the new rig yet?
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

bigbunkhouse wrote:Dave, do you have any fuel economy numbers for the new rig yet?
not realy, I will let ya know. i filled it up with 148.8 on the tank and it came to 9.7 that was the first tank after the reflash so i feel it will get better. or should i say i hope it will get better LoL
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

I have always wondered the purpose of the cab clearance lights. Most commercial trucks have them, yet the cargo body is usually taller. Many years ago a man I knew had a an F550 Bob-tail cargo truck. It had corner lights at the top of the cargo box, and cab lights. He was told by CHP at scales one or the other. He could not have both cab and box lights on at the same time. He had to disable one set. Now days truck drivers go crazy with lights. I just wonder the official purpose of the cab lights on a pick-up truck.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I guessing, but to identify a heavy or large vehicle at night. Before the improved braking systems common today, trucks REALLY took a long time to get stopped (I drove a '52 International L190 3 axle way back when, which didn't have power steering or provision for brakes on the front axle. Without power steering if one brake grabbed it would get ugly fast.), and with dual wheels, larger and heavier.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (FMVSS 108)

There are five lights across the roof above the windshield. The two outside lights are called "clearance lights" because they show the outside dimensions, both vertical and horizontal, of the vehicle. The three lights in the middle are called "identification" or "i.d." lights because they indicate the vehicle is at least 80 inches wide.
I am sure you can do a google search to get a copy of the document if you enjoy reading extremely boring government documents. Bottom line any vehicle more than 80" wide require the clearance lights, dually falls into the 80 inches rule.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

Thanks George. Obviously many vehicles have cargo bodies taller than the cab, but you explained their purpose for me. This site always has someone in the know. I love it.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!