Question on 2012 F350 Electronic Shift on the Fly

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

watkinsk
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3150RL

Question on 2012 F350 Electronic Shift on the Fly

Post by watkinsk »

I think I found a really great deal on line on a new 2012 F350 4X4 with the camper package, Diesel and Automatic. Just one problem that I can find....is does NOT have ESOF. What does this mean to me if/when I need to shift to 4X4 drive? Will I have to get out and lock the front hubs or is there a manual shift to 4High and 4Low on the hump next to the driver seat?

Thanks, Keith
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 4x4, SRW, Std Bed
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT"...Winston Churchill
Rob & Cathy

Re: Question on 2012 F350 Electronic Shift on the Fly

Post by Rob & Cathy »

watkinsk wrote:Will I have to get out and lock the front hubs or is there a manual shift to 4High and 4Low on the hump next to the driver seat?
I'm not sure how to answer the first part of your question but the hubs have two positions either AUTO or LOCKED. In AUTO the hubs will lock when the you select 4 wheel high or 4 wheel low. In the LOCKED position the hubs are locked all the time whether you're in 4x4 or not.

Rob
watkinsk

Post by watkinsk »

Rob, does your 2011 have Electronic Shift on the Fly (the knob on the dash) or is your 4 wheel drive shifter on the floor? Doing a little more research since I first posted it now appears to me that the shifter is on the floor (not a knob on the dash) and that I must manually get out, lock the hubs, and then shift from inside the cab? I am just not sure if this is correct and unfortunately, because it is an internet deal, I can't see the vehicle (it is out of state).
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Keith, mine is on the dash, as was my 2005 SD, and there is nothing on the floor.

If I'm not mistaken you can select 4 wheel high while moving but you have to be stopped to go into 4 wheel low.

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

watkinsk wrote:Doing a little more research since I first posted it now appears to me that the shifter is on the floor (not a knob on the dash) and that I must manually get out, lock the hubs, and then shift from inside the cab?
That doesn't sound like a F350 to me.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

The only time the shifter is on the floor is with a manual tranny, which I don't beleive is available on 2011 and newer F-250/350 trucks.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

with the transfer case shifter on the floor, and manual hubs you just need to pre-empt a sticky situation. For instance my 350 work truck has that setup and if I head out and anticipate a possible need for 4x4 I lock the hubs when I am not in need, then when the time comes, just a slight tug on the tranfer case lever and viola...4 wheel drive. You can now shift in and out even while moving as longa s ur not under load (just let off the gas for a split second, moves like butter
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
rwlouks
Cardinal Owners: 34 QRL (Taj Mah III)

Post by rwlouks »

From the 2012 F350 Owners Manual for the Manual Shift on Stop as they call it.
"The 4WD system is engaged or
disengaged by rotating the control
for both front wheel hub locks from
the FREE or LOCK position, then
manually engaging or disengaging
the transfer case with the
floor-mounted shifter. For increased
fuel economy in 2WD, rotate both
hub locks to the FREE position."
Russ & Dawn
2008 34 QRL (Taj Mah III)
2011 Super Duty
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
watkinsk wrote:Will I have to get out and lock the front hubs or is there a manual shift to 4High and 4Low on the hump next to the driver seat?
I'm not sure how to answer the first part of your question but the hubs have two positions either AUTO or LOCKED. In AUTO the hubs will lock when the you select 4 wheel high or 4 wheel low. In the LOCKED position the hubs are locked all the time whether you're in 4x4 or not.

Rob
Hubs are either locked or unlocked. sheesh have not talked hubs in many years get stuck go out turn hubs track mud in put in 4x4 and go =)) I remember when I would not buy a 4x4 without locking hubs many many many moons ago
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Well, I looked in the manual and apparently you can have either manual shift or electronic shift 4WD systems. Personally I haven't seen a manual shift since my '97 SD. If you do NOT have ESOF then the hubs will have FREE or LOCK. If you have electronic shift, which I'm sure the vast majority have, the hubs will have AUTO or LOCK. I've used 4x4 a few time on my '05 SD and never had to get out to lock the hubs.

I must admit that I'm surprised the manual hubs and shifter are still available.

Rob
watkinsk

Post by watkinsk »

Thanks everyone.
One of the things I read last night is that for Ford 4X4 the front axles is either locked or unlocked (even when the button is on the dash). When it is unlocked it is truly a free-floating axle. Dodge's evidently have the front axle turning all the time, regardless if it is in 4X2 or 4X4, but when shifting into 4X4 there is a spline that engages another gear in the transaxle to get to a lower gear. .....Sorry Mike, didn't read anything about GM products....so, as a result Ford can milk a few more MPG when it is in unlock status. People who tow a lot for a living evidently prefer the Ford solution for lock/unlock.

Again, not sure this is correct but that is my reading.
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
watkinsk

Post by watkinsk »

Well, I went over and drove a similar f350 at the dealership through an obstacle course with tight turns, reverse and highway speeds up to 85MPH with the Front Axles locked and unlocked. When the axle is locked but the cabin shifter (on the floor) left in 2H, I could tell no difference in maneuverability as compared to the the axle being unlocked. To go to 4Low I did have to bring the truck to a stop, shift the transmission to neutral and then shift the front axle to 4Low. Reverse the procedure to go out of 4Low.

So, I bought the truck and will do as many have talked about.....come December just shift the front axles to Locked and then move in and out of 2H and 4H as I need to. I will surely suffer a minor MPG hit but not enough to make up for the savings I made on this truck to wait for a similar vehicle with ESOF. Will pick up the new F350 late next week as it is being shipped to a dealer in Colorado Springs and that dealer will coordinate the bed liner spray in.

Thanks to everyone for your insight above..........
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL