Louvered Truck Tailgate

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

RetiredFifthWheeler
Cardinal Owners: 3825FL Fifth-Wheel

Louvered Truck Tailgate

Post by RetiredFifthWheeler »

We are thinking of replacing the original tailgate with a louvered one that supposedly gets better fuel economy. Does ayone have any experience with these?
Wayne & Ruth Spong

2016 3825fl
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 / Cummins Turbo Diesel
Good Sam Life Members
Rallies attended - 3 (+ 4 FROG)
ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Re: Louvered Truck Tailgate

Post by ski boy »

Mythbusters program tested these against factory tailgate up, tailgate down, tailgate removed and nylon webbing. The best mileage was obtained with the factory tailgate up. The best way to improve mileage (when not towing) is to use a tonneau cover. Most of the drag on a pick-up is caused by the vacuum created behind the rear window, not the tailgate.
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
snoking

Post by snoking »

Not raising and lowering the tailgate to hitch is the only real value. I like my solution better. Not made any more, but my Truck Trunk V-Box holds two sets of golf clubs.
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Yep........not having to raise................... lower the tailgate is the real advantage.........v shaped (outward) tailgates..are EXPENSIVE ................. L-)
RetiredFifthWheeler
Cardinal Owners: 3825FL Fifth-Wheel

Post by RetiredFifthWheeler »

ski boy wrote:Mythbusters program tested these against factory tailgate up, tailgate down, tailgate removed and nylon webbing. The best mileage was obtained with the factory tailgate up. The best way to improve mileage (when not towing) is to use a tonneau cover. Most of the drag on a pick-up is caused by the vacuum created behind the rear window, not the tailgate.
So does this mean I should open my back window to get better mileage?
Wayne & Ruth Spong

2016 3825fl
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 / Cummins Turbo Diesel
Good Sam Life Members
Rallies attended - 3 (+ 4 FROG)