2004 Excursion Diesel?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

tagilles

2004 Excursion Diesel?

Post by tagilles »

I have an 04 Excursion with the 6.0L and the 5psd auto trans. My wife and I are looking to purchase the 35TBH TT and Ford says I only have an 11,000lbs tow limit. I have talked with the Hope family and they have the same setup and say they have no problems.

All the dealers say I need this or that extra to hand the 10,000lbs Red Bird we want. Some say a weight distribution hitch, some say just air bags. Some say NO air bags at all are needed. I'm hoping that someone here has answers that's not looking for more $$.

Thomas
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Going by what I know as someone who started with a TT and what you stated in your post, defiantly get yourself a weight distribution hitch, it will give you a better ride and help your truck handle the hitch weight. Be sure to also check your receiver hitch to make sure it is the proper class. As far as air bags, wait to see if you need them but remember they will not increase your load carrying capacity.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
tagilles

Hitch receiver

Post by tagilles »

The factory receiver from Ford has a sticker on it. It says that it is a Class 5 unit, with only a 500lbs tongue limit. My dad's 86' Mazda pickup has a bumper tougue limit of 500 lbs. I think Ford is underrating the reciever because it states that it has a 12,000lbs towing limit too and a 500lbs tongue . Or maybe I'm just reading it all wrong.

Thomas
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

The 500# most likely refers to the hitch tongue weight allowed. Class 5 is the higher rated hitch so should be ok. Just have to limit the vertical tongue weight below 500#. But you will need the weight distribution equipment which most likely will work with your hitch. It allows for better weight distribution on the tow vehicle.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Most class 5 hitches have 2 sets of weights stamped on them, 5000lbs with 500lb tongue is usually the hitch without weight distribution, the other set of numbers should say something like 12000lb with 1200lb tongue or 10000lb with 1000lb tongue and this will be with weight distributing hitch and bars. I truely believe you would want weight distributing parts and sway control for your intended size for both comfort and safety.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

It looks like the 35TBH TT will put you very close to the Excursion's tow limit. As the others have said go with weight distributing and sway control.

Rob
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Re: 2004 Excursion Diesel?

Post by Future Fulltimers »

tagilles wrote: All the dealers say I need this or that extra to hand the 10,000lbs Red Bird we want...
Thomas
If this is the dry weight of the trailer, looks like you need more truck. :shock: Look at the GVWR of the trailer and go from there. The truck may pull it but will it pull it safely? Overloading the truck will damage the transmission (first).
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch