Synthetic Oil

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

lapriester

Post by lapriester »

The value of research is fine until you have an engine problem while still under warranty and you show them you have been changing oil at 17K intervals. They couldn't give a hoot if you have a stack of lab reports if you didn't follow the recommended oil change intervals as specified in your manual. Then, the synthetic oil will not have saved you a dime since you'll be out the cost of a new engine.

Don't believe me? I have 2 friends that had diesel engine issues. One related to injectors - they refused warranty repairs and canceled the remaining miles on his warranty when they saw his extended oil changes and lab reports. They attributed the injector problems to dirty oil due to not following Ford's oil change interval recommendations. The other engine spun a main bearing. They refused to cover it under warranty and canceled the remaining warranty due to extended oil change intervals. He also had a stack of lab reports.

Feeling lucky :?: ? Think you could fight them.....NOT. Just not worth the risk in my book. I'll stick with dino oil, change it as they recommend and keep my receipts as long as I have an existing engine warranty. I'd rather save the bucks than save the world right now. :?

Larry 8)
Tim

Post by Tim »

I use synthetic in my truck and go by the truck computer oil read out. since I've only put 5,000 miles on the truck since the last change, April 07, it says I stil have a lot of remaining life. I do save the On Star diagnostic reports I receive each month as well.
Duster

synthetic oil

Post by Duster »

I used the Amsoil for a while..There was a conflict between the truck manufacturer recommended intervals and the useful life of the synthetic oil...I might return to it later but truck is still under warranty and with the other factors like extreme cost and shipping aggravation, I decided to use the Shell...I believe keeping it hot, running it a lot, and changing it often help more than the makeup of the lubricant...The tests I had all certified the oil for continued use even though I did not...
rvthereyet

Post by rvthereyet »

hey duster
i have used amsoil for along time. as a preferred customer amsoil stands behind their product 100% they will tell you what you can use.
Judi
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30 TS

Post by Judi »

When I first got my 2004 Silverado, it has 82,000 miles on it.....the first thing I did was change the oil.....with the advise of a truck driver, he said use nothing but synthetic Mobil Del Vac 1 and also add 1 quart of Lucas oil treatment everytime you change the oil.....my truck has worked beautifully ever since and that is the only thing I will use...I LOVE it!!!
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.6L D'Max
Duster

Re: Synthetic Oil

Post by Duster »

Most of newer research supports the theory that synthetic oil is better..and I believe it..However, to benefit from the extensive costs,sampling,mailing,looking for product,and so on,you'd have to be using it over the road; as in "truck driver." Don't forget, there are two considerations to oil changes;time and mileage....At home, my truck sits a lot so I change the oil before the recommended mileage..Amsoil going down the drain at three thousand miles is not funny....Of course, if the price of oil keeps rising, I might return to the Amsoil...i paid 8.25 per quart for some ATF4 transmission fluid in rural Idaho a few weeks ago...so who knows? Jesse James for Amsoil or Jesse James for Rotella is still Jesse James...
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Re:

Post by rosey »

lapriester wrote:
Pez wrote:Thanks for all the info and your opinions on Synthetic Oil.

Synthetic is a waste of money unless you plan to go with extended oil changes based on the results of lab tests to determine when you need to. Diesel fuel is expensive enough, why waste excess $ on synthetic oil?

Larry 8)
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.......... that's why I disagree that Synthetic is a "waste of money"......just do the research, and you'll see that NOTHING compares to the lubercating qualities and resultant protection afforded by synthetic. The way I look at it I spent over $40,000.00 bucks for a truck so what's a few extra bucks for the very best engine oil to protect that diesel?? With the synthetic, I change both my fuel filter AND oil @ around 10,000 miles.
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well I like dino oil but no oil wars from me. 10,000 miles on a fuel filter now that is pushing it at least from the cut aways i have seen even at 8k.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Mike Clay wrote:Well I like dino oil but no oil wars from me. 10,000 miles on a fuel filter now that is pushing it at least from the cut aways i have seen even at 8k.
Mike, Take a look at the size of fuel filter on your new truck. I can testify they will go 15,000 miles without clogging as per Chev recommendations, but probably safer to change at 10K.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

I have and thats what im talking about many LLM owners have done cut aways at 8k and 10k and when the DIC says to change it. They are pretty bad, this may be another comfort thing or a trip back to old school but I changed mine every 6k on the Dodges and they needed it. I will do the same with this one even though the fuel filter is 100.00 :shock:

Of coarse there is the question where do you get your fuel did it take you sixty seconds to go that mile or 6 minutes and so on. As far as the oil goes you can read pages and pages of "oil wars" on the truck sites it comes down to what you want to run in your truck. Guess thats what makes the world go round.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rod Meyer

Post by Rod Meyer »

Mike, were do you get your fuel filter? :?
I get mine for my 07 at sandy suburban 39.95 8)
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Hey buddy welcome over to the other side. The price I was quoted for the fuel filter was from Suburban
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

edatlanta

Post by edatlanta »

Good morning everyone. This is my first post on this site, but I get my filters at:

kennedydiesel.com

The fuel filter for my 2006 Duramax LBZ is $30.00/each and $25.00/each if you purchase a case of 6. Including shipping costs, it is cheaper than buying locally. Kennedy provides Baldwin filters.

Ed
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Ya im going to re check with them when i get back it will be time for a fuel filter change.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

That diesel option when new.........................$6995

The 14 quart oil change and $20 filter..............$100

Fuel at $5.00/gal in 40 gal tank.....................$200

The fact that my truck takes a $7.09 fuel filter every 30k..........

PRICELESS :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10