Synthetic Oil

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Pez

Synthetic Oil

Post by Pez »

Thinking about going to Synthetic Oil for my TV.

On my research of Synthetic Oil every thing I read advised not switch to Synthetic Oil on high a vehicle with high miles.

What is considered high miles ?

Any of you use Synthetic Oil in your TV ? Does it make your vehicle run cooler as they claim ?

Thanks, for any info you might have.
Pez
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Synthetic Oil

Post by campswithcritters »

Pez wrote:Thinking about going to Synthetic Oil for my TV.

On my research of Synthetic Oil every thing I read advised not switch to Synthetic Oil on high a vehicle with high miles.

What is considered high miles ?

Any of you use Synthetic Oil in your TV ? Does it make your vehicle run cooler as they claim ?

Thanks, for any info you might have.
Pez
Pez, Synthetics are really good stuff, the aircraft industry has known that for years.
I will disagree with not switching an older higher mileage vehicle, unless that vehicle has any leaks or burns any oil. Any leak or oil consumption will just about double with the introduction of synthetic oil due to it's much better flow capabilities.
I would consider high miles to be around or in excess of 100K. And I believe the auto industry considers this high miles also.
I ran synthetic oil in my last 2 diesel trucks and had nothing but good luck with them, but they are pricey and I was never comfortable running the extended drain intervals, so I still changed it often. I cannot state that the vehicle ran cooler, but I only had a radiator temp gauge not an oil temp gauge. Pressure was always good and steady, i.e. same pressure with 5000 mi as when the oil was new.
I plan to run Rotella T triple protection (dino oil) CJ-4 15W40 in my current new truck for a couple reasons:
1. To ensure availability of my previous chosen synthetic (Amsoil) I had to mail order it. Now I am full timing and paying forwarding on all packages, so cost has become prohibitive.
2. With the advances in oil specs (CJ-4,etc) all the oils are held to higher quality standards.
I plan to watch pressure, etc closely with the dino oil and if there is any difference I will switch back to synthetic.
All of this of course is only my opinion and experience.

Bruce
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

IMO I don't think synthetic oil is worth the price. I use semi-synthetic as recommended by the manufacturer. When it comes to keeping oil clean, short intervals between oil changes are better than long intervals. I pay $35 for a LOF at the dealer every three months and that works for me.

Rob
Squire

Post by Squire »

I will probably stay with regular oil and normal oil change intervals. Just a personal choice.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I use Rotella synthetic in my TV and will stick with that. Change it at 5-6 thousand miles and think it does give a bit more MPGs and cooler running. Cost effective? Good question as my TV is 2.5 years old with only 21,000 miles on it.
Pez

Post by Pez »

Thanks for all the info and your opinions on Synthetic Oil.

With just over 29 thousand miles on a 2004, F250 Lariat, 2 wd, diesel engine I don't think I will be in trouble.

I bought into the program with Ford when I purchased the truck where I receive free oil changes for life. Don't know if that was a good deal or not.

I am sure they use good quality oil and buy in bulk. But I just never know.

I am going to start changing the oil myself and have been looking at Synthetic Oil. Just afraid going to Synthetic Oil I might loosen up some sludge build up and start having problems. Also I feel better if I do the oil filter myself. I am sure I can purchase a better quality oil filter than they are using. I might be wrong but that is the way I feel.

Thanks
Pez
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

Don't be concerned about sludge.........If you want a longer lasting engine....use synthetic........if you don't want to spend the bucks stay with dino.....ask any engine expert and they'll tell you that....synthetic is the "crem de la crem" of engine oils. I have been using synthetic ffor years and have always used Mobil 1. Do some more research on line then do what makes you happy. :!:
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Dino vs Synthetic
If you ask any mechanic he’ll tell you synthetics are better, why? Lubrication.
Hands down synthetics lubricate better but cost more. Do you NEED them? No. Consult your owner’s manual for the type required by the manufacture and you will be fine. If you want that extra protection, switch to synthetics.
Pez wrote:
I bought into the program with Ford when I purchased the truck where I receive free oil changes for life. Don't know if that was a good deal or not.
I would use this since you purchased it. The dealerships purchase oil in bulk but Ford requires them to meet their oil specifications. Be sides, have you priced the oil filter for the Ford 6.0? :shock:
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
geeksrus

Post by geeksrus »

I use Shell Rotella synthetic 5W-40 in my 2003 F350 PSD.
halrkent (Deceased)
Cardinal Owners: 2006 29LE

Synthetic Oil

Post by halrkent (Deceased) »

I use Mobile 1 10w30 in my 1996 Dodge 8 liter engine. It has 244,000 miles on the odometer and runs as good today as it did when it was new. I started using Mobile 1 when I had a motorcycle (engine and transmission shared the same oil) that was a real clunker to shift with non synthetic oil. Mobile 1(and I assume any synthetic oil) made it shift smoothly. There was such a huge improvement I’ve continued using synthetic oil. I pull a 2005 Cardinal 29 Le.

Hal
Hal Kent
2006 Cardinal 29RK-LE
1996 Dodge 2500 V10
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

as i change the fluids in the cars/trucks we have i switch all to synthetic. From the oil to the axles, we put synthetic tranny fluid in our auto's by drain not flush, and I have 200k on my 99 f250 that I tow,plow, haul and generally beat the snot outa daily with the original tranny. but in the same truck I went to valvoline high mileage oil cause with the synthetic it was using alot of oil. Also i've noticed an extreme drop in differential temps by running synthetic gear oil and our standard shift Mazda 6 shifts like butter since i changed to synthetic. My opinion, the more slipperier the better, and when you pour it watch it hit the funnel on a cold day, like it was 100 deg out. As far as tooo many miles, once you have to add oil like a 2 stroke its time to go back.
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
rvthereyet

Post by rvthereyet »

I USE AMSOIL FOR THE LAST 45000 MILES.NO PROBLEMS 20000 MILES AGO ADDED A BYPASS FILTER FROM FS 2500 NOW RELYING ON OIL ANALISIS. THE ONLY THING I DO IS CHANGE THE FILTER AND CARTRIDGE. :D
lapriester

Post by lapriester »

Pez wrote:Thanks for all the info and your opinions on Synthetic Oil.

With just over 29 thousand miles on a 2004, F250 Lariat, 2 wd, diesel engine I don't think I will be in trouble.

I am sure they use good quality oil and buy in bulk. But I just never know.

I am going to start changing the oil myself and have been looking at Synthetic Oil. Just afraid going to Synthetic Oil I might loosen up some sludge build up and start having problems. Also I feel better if I do the oil filter myself. I am sure I can purchase a better quality oil filter than they are using. I might be wrong but that is the way I feel.

Thanks
Pez
Motorcraft oil is Delo 400 I understand. Good oil. 83K on my 02 Ford diesel and running strong and towing hard for all it's lfe. Never used anything but Delo except Rotella T dino once or twice when I couldn't get to Costco. Synthetic is a waste of money unless you plan to go with extended oil changes based on the results of lab tests to determine when you need to. Of course you will void your warranty if you extend changes beyond the manufacturer's recommendations and something goes wrong. So what's the point in spend 2X the price and changing just as often. Diesel fuel is expensive enough, why waste excess $ on synthetic oil?

Larry 8)
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I have used nothing but Chevron's Delo in the 5 diesels i have owned with no problems, not to say there might not be better out there but I have been happy.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
William Fehr

Synthetic oil

Post by William Fehr »

I use synthetic. 5/40 Delvac Mobil 1. I also send samples of my oil in for analysis. My truck is an 04 F350. My last change had 17,000 kms on it. All is good. My next change will be at 20.000. The oil is expensive but if you can extend your drain intervals you will not be incurring additional cost. Also you are being good to the planet by not using more oil.

In my 7.3 I ran 0/40 and it worked great. I traded my truck at 275,000 Kms and it was still very strong. Most of these Kms were in Northern Canada where it is very cold in winter and hot in summer. Temperature extremee from -40 to +40 celsius. The 6.0l however did not like the 0/40 and oil analysis showed viscosity breakdown at 10,000 kms. I changed to Delvac 5/40 and no problems. This demonstrates the value of research on your engine and the benefits of oil analysis. I think synthetic is the way to go. These new oils are very good and your engines can run well for a long time on them. However, it is a comfort thing for all of us. Do your research and go with what you feel good about.