Silverado vs Ram, Dually vs Single

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

craigw
Cardinal Owners: 2006 LE312BH

Silverado vs Ram, Dually vs Single

Post by craigw »

Ok in Jan 2012 I had my '01 2500HD Duramax stolen. With an upcoming move from Tennessee to Colorado we put things on the back burner. Now we are beginning the thought process of what to replace our stolen truck with.

A few stats on what we are pulling. Our Cardinal is an LE312BH which has a dry weight of 10,000 and is 33'. My I'd truck which was a 2500HD with the Duramax and was a short box crew cab 4x4. I had thought of a Ram but everything I read the tow ratings are pretty low unless you get the 3500. I am not looking for new and will look at something a few years old. My tendency is to go back to what I had. Initially I had thought of staying away from Dually's being it will be my daily driver and I will need to drive into downtown Denver from time to time.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
2006 Cardinal LE 31
2001 Chevy 2500HD D-Max. ---RIP. Stolen Jan 2012, Knoxville TN, never recovered
Rob & Cathy

Re: Silverado vs Ram, Dually vs Single

Post by Rob & Cathy »

If you're using your truck as your daily vehicle, and especially in downtown city driving, I'd go with the non-dually with a short bed. As far as ride is concerned I don't think you'd notice much difference between a 2500 and 3500 SRW.

Rob
ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Post by ski boy »

My dually truck is an awfully big target in parking lots and city driving. My pin weight leaves no option for a single rear wheel, though. The 2013 Dodge HD (completely redesigned) is supposed to have best-in-class numbers. True or hype I don't know. Interesting to see what they've done - Feb. availablity in Canada at least...
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
craigw

Post by craigw »

I'll have to check the tow ratings and such again on the Dodges. I can find them at a lower $ on the used market.
2006 Cardinal LE 31
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Probably a 2500 in any combination length box will work. And they're readily available. A 3500 short box 4x4 would ride stiff. The saving grace of a dually is that the rear tires are aired up at 55# versus 65# to 70# for srw. AND a dually commands more respect in city traffic. :))
craigw

Post by craigw »

As I have been doing some 'rough' looking at the used market it seems a 3500 Dually are priced better than 2500's. I'm guessing this may be due to more people are wanting a single rear wheel than duals. Fortunately for me if I am to get a dually and need to go to an area where space is an issue I can use the wife's car. I have had a CC long box 3500 single wheel in the pase so I understand some of what is required respect wise as far as the size.
2006 Cardinal LE 31
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

My 3500 rides nice, not much worse then my 08 2500 did. When I am not in the towing season my rear tires are at 60 and front at 65 psi.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
craigw

Post by craigw »

I have never owned a dually so that is probably part of my apprehension. I know that in towing having a larger footprint on the back will definatley help on the stability front. I would imaging that 2500's in many situations are the default or what most commonly go for. In checking my tongue weight (approx 2500 lbs) I may have to be creative going Dodge. I know Chevy with the Allison can handle things no problem. Really not considering Ford because a few years ago I had a lot of problems with no answers. Plus I hear horror stories. I will look for something that will give me minimal problems as I tend to keep vehicles till there wheels fall off.
2006 Cardinal LE 31
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

craigw wrote:I have had a CC long box 3500 single wheel in the pase so I understand some of what is required respect wise as far as the size.
You shouldn't have a problem once you get accustomed to the dually "hips" (DW term) in the back then. You just can't cut the corners as tight.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

craigw wrote:I would imaging that 2500's in many situations are the default or what most commonly go for. In checking my tongue weight (approx 2500 lbs).
With that pin weight, I would get a 3500.
snoking

Post by snoking »

I have run my rear LT265/75R16E's at 44 lbs empty for 11 years and 102K with two sets of Michelin tires and never had a tire issue. Drives much better, and it still not as low as the inflation chart indicates I could go. Those that have never air down the rears, do not know how well their truck can really ride. I also have Rancho 9000 shocks on the rear that I turn down when empty. Turns the old brick truck into something that is comfortable.

Chris
Chief-e9
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3100RK

Post by Chief-e9 »

Vickie and I love our dually for pulling. However, we don't enjoy having to use it as an ever day vehicle once we've parked the RV. It can be troublesome driving on narrow, two-lane mountain roads, in busy towns with multiple lane traffic, and parking definitely creates problems. I'm always worried about someone hitting the dually fenders, etc. Therefore, our next 1-ton will be a single axle which will hopefully work out better for us. Difficult decision when you're spending that much money. I'm sure you will be happy whichever way you go. Best of luck! :D
Vickie (Retired RN), Roy (Retired AF) Baxter the Shih-Tzu (RIP Nov 2014) Bella Mae the Shih-Tzu (RIP Aug 2021)
2011 Ford F-350 Long Bed Crew Cab Diesel
2010 Cardinal 3100RK
craigw

Post by craigw »

The ideal truck for many would be one that was a single rear with bolt on dually wheels for when you need it. Probably more trouble than its worth but a thought. LOL
2006 Cardinal LE 31
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

craigw wrote:The ideal truck for many would be one that was a single rear with bolt on dually wheels for when you need it. Probably more trouble than its worth but a thought. LOL
You would still have a "fender" problem. So you would need to bolt on a fender as well.
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Chief-e9 wrote:Vickie and I love our dually for pulling. However, we don't enjoy having to use it as an ever day vehicle once we've parked the RV. It can be troublesome driving on narrow, two-lane mountain roads, in busy towns with multiple lane traffic, and parking definitely creates problems. I'm always worried about someone hitting the dually fenders, etc. :D
I agree on all of the above. I still wouldn't get rid of the DRW.