Shudder on takeoff

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

kyle3450rl
Cardinal Owners: 2011 Cardinal 3450 RL full body paint,burgandy
Skype ID: N/a

Shudder on takeoff

Post by kyle3450rl »

My 2011 GM D/A CC 4WD DRW has a shudder on a brisk takeoff from a stop pulling my 3450 RL. Dealer thinks it might be my Cardinal. Truck and camper 27,400 lbs. Anyone else had this issue w/ newer GM ? I am sure it is not my camper. Thanks for any input.
snoking

Re: Shudder on takeoff

Post by snoking »

Lots of long wheel base trucks have this drive line problem. It is a result of angles in the u-joints and center carrier bearing. There are a lot of TSB's on the subject. On my buddies 2000-01 Chevy they replaced the two piece drive line with a single aluminum one years ago.

Dodge has had this issue also.

If your truck is squatting a lot you might think about air bags, as the more it squats the more the angles are changed.

And quit racing Fords from the stop lights. All test show you are faster!

Chris
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Nope not your Cardinal well other then the weight/pin weight. All my Dodges and both my Chevy trucks did this. It is the angle of the driveline. You can have it shimmed to not do this while towing but then you get it while empty. I notice in my case if I put about 1/3 of a tank of fresh water in the shudder is much less do to less pin weight. Ease off the line until the truck is rolling, lots of strain there so I wait until it shifts to 2nd before I start pushing harder on the go pedal.

Chris hit the submit button faster then I did.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I had the same problem with my '09 F350 "Tow Boss" CC LWB dually. Not as much with the '12.

I don't race off the line, just pull mountain grades at 65. "I CAN'T Drive 55!"
:lol:

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

You kill me =))
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
snoking

Post by snoking »

Mike Clay wrote:You kill me =))
^^^ He just needs a heavier trailer! 30 footer is to light for his new Ford! What was that old Navy story about having to be able to ride a bike to become a chief???

Chris
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I don't know about a bike, hard to ride one on a ship. But having an operation on your finger to hang onto a coffee cup while asleep...

With 3:73 gears the F350 duallys do get off the line faster then the SRW F350's though. And still get 12 mpg average towing a 5er in my experiance.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hard to tell you that something is normal, but my 2011 GMC CC 4WD DRW once in while has a shudder at take off.
You have a heavy trailer that hard to get move, I will only feel this if I try put take off too fast from a dead stop, my Ford also did the same thing.
Try what all others are saying about take it easy until you are rolling a little.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

No shudder here. just have to be easy on the throttle to prevent wheel spin :joke: =)) =))
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

It's all about size and weight, hook up to a beast 38 feet and longer loaded and take off hard and you will see all these trucks will shuttle.
The rear axle housing is trying to twist with all the toque being applied to drive shafts, that's why they use double drive shafts and u-joints.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
tschmalz

Post by tschmalz »

I had a pretty good shudder with my Dodge which was totally eliminated when I added my airbags.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hey Kevin, are you still driving the truck in your signature? I thought you bought a newer truck.

Rob
tschmalz

Post by tschmalz »

With the price of new trucks....I'll be driving this one for a long, long time. I've only got 70k on it and it pulls like a beast while usually getting around 14 mpg. They say these Cummins will go for a couple hundred thousand and since I have the 6 speed manual tranny I figure the worst thing will probably be a new clutch. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Sounds like a good plan. :thumbrt:

Rob
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

tschmalz wrote:With the price of new trucks....I'll be driving this one for a long, long time. I've only got 70k on it and it pulls like a beast while usually getting around 14 mpg. They say these Cummins will go for a couple hundred thousand and since I have the 6 speed manual tranny I figure the worst thing will probably be a new clutch. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The body will go, before the motor................Just under 300,000 on mine.....runs fine. They need to come up with a variable angle shaft, rear end combo....to auto adjust to load..... :thumbrt: ..........................and survive the torque.!!!.. :shock: