245,853 GM unsold pickups (Thats alot)

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

245,853 GM unsold pickups (Thats alot)

Post by Samsbird »

For months, General Motors has been teasing us with tidbits about the new Chevrolet Silverado, which is set to come out sometime next year. This is an important model for GM, because pickups only get overhauled about once a decade.

To get ready for the new Silverado, it's built up supplies of the old Silverado, because it doesn't want dealers to get caught short between the old truck and the new one. Makes perfect sense, in theory.

But GM's November sales release shows the situation is getting worse, not better. At the end of the month, GM had 245,853 full-sized pickup trucks in its inventory. That's equal to 136 days of inventory, or enough to last it until spring. The last time we checked in, GM had 240,810 trucks in its October inventory, which was equal to 116 days, or as we said, enough for everybody living in Saskatoon.
Those 245,852 pickups are out of a total November inventory of 788,194. Put another way, that means one out of three vehicles on GM showroom lots is a pickup truck.
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
Flintstones

Re: 245,853 GM unsold pickups (Thats alot)

Post by Flintstones »

I will sleep better knowing my local GM dealer is well stocked! My two local Ford dealers (Danvers Ford and Thomas Ford) have about a dozen Super Duty trucks between them presently. I will be back in the market for my next Super Duty in 2014.
Roger
Cardinal Owners: 2005 30TS

Re: 245,853 GM unsold pickups (Thats alot)

Post by Roger »

They usually build up the inventory before a changeover.

The plant is probably due to be closed for some time and then they ramp up production slowly to make sure they get things right.
Roger & Joy
2005 30TS
Morryde pin box
Morryde SRE4000 suspension
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax