Anyone experance this

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Pez

Anyone experance this

Post by Pez »

Today pulled the Bird out of storage to do some maintenance.

Hook up was normal with no problems but when I pulled the Bird to another area so I could extend the slides out I passed over a area that was not level ground.

The cement pad had a slope that went down about 3 feet at a angle and went back up about 3 feet to level out. I did not approach this straight on. I went down at a angle and as I drove over this area the TV was leaning one way and the Bird was leaning the other way.

I did not hear any strange noise or feel any thing in the TV, nor did anything feel different than the leaning motion.

After I disconnected and got on the road the turbulence from the air pushed the Pull Rite Slide at a angle as if I was making a full turn with the 5er hooked up. I reposition the slide to the forward level position. Now it will not stay in the forward level position moving, it always moves to a another angle toward the rear on the slide rails.

When you move the slide by hand to any position it is extremely easy to do. I mean extremely easy to move. Before it would always stay in a fixed position I put it in, the air turbulence would not effect the slide.

The slide feels different now when I move it by hand. The best way I know how to explain it is, it feels lose, very easy to move by hand. I checked the slide and all bolts are tight and moving parts look good.

I went back and hooked the 5er up and pulled it for around 15miles with no apparent problems I could notice.

My big fear pulling a 5er is it disconnecting going down the road.

For reason I and I don't know why, but I feel uneasy about this. I might be Paranoid.

If you have a slider hitch is your this easy to move ? Do I have a problem ? Any suggestions or opinions. I will call Pull Rite tomorrow
and get there opinion.
Have over 18 thousand miles on this Pul Rite and never had this problem before.

Thanks
Pez
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Pez,

Put the Pull-Rite in the center postion and tighten the jam bolt in the center (Located in the back center of the of the unit ). This bolt pushes a little teflon pad and tightens up the cam operation to the frame. As it wears it will get loose again.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Duck

Afraid of it coming loose

Post by Duck »

I purchased and now use the Blue Ox Bed Saver which will not only catch the pin but also save the 5'er from coming down onto your truck box
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Pez, Is the hitch a super-glide? If so I think George has the solution summed up. As a former superglide owner, I sometimes experienced the hitch sliding without a trailer hooked up, seemed to happen occasionally during acceleration or braking but never experienced any other problem because of it. Pul-rite is a stand-up company (I now have a non-slider super 5th) if you have any doubts contact their tech dept. for additional input. As far as the trailer leaning one way and the truck another this will happen with an articulating hitch and I have seen it often with both pul-rite products and is no reason for concern, just ensure you can move the head both directions by hand.
Bruce
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Pez

Post by Pez »

The hitch is a supper glide.

Thanks for the quick response and the info.

I tighten the jam nut and that solved the problem. Movement of the slide by hand feels like it did when I first had it installed. No movement of the slide with TV moving, stays in fixed position. :lol:

One thing for sure about this Cardinal Club. Info is shared with all member regardless what the question or who is asking !

You will never know what a load has been taken off my shoulders with just tighten the jam nut and it fixed the problem.

Thanks
Pez