2005 F350 Turbo warning

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

bbgun

2005 F350 Turbo warning

Post by bbgun »

Just wanted to give others a heads up in case you ever experience this. We were pulling our fiver to Cannon Beach, Or when all of a sudden we heard a loud pop lost power and BLACK smoke came out of the exhaust.We took the trailer to camp and drove the truck backinto Astoria Ford Dealership. They took great care of us. Turns out the driver's side intercooler was blown apart.They removed it and replaced it.Worked fine coming home. Wow! What an experience though. Next time DH can drive. I quess that is what I get for wanting to drive!! Anyone checking out the new Ford double turbos that are coming out?
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Seems that Ford has had a lot of problems with the 6.0 PSD (oil leaks, head gaskets, turbos). Some say that part of the reason for the newly designed engine is to get away from the bad rap the 6.0 has earned. I traded my 6.0 partly for that reason.
Check out Feb 07 issue of "Trailer Life". They have a write up about the F450 with the new 6.4L PSD.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I might even look at a Ford but not for a least another year. Let them all shake the bugs out then I will decide.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Mike Clay wrote:I might even look at a Ford but not for a least another year. Let them all shake the bugs out then I will decide.
A die-hard cummins guy like you lookin at Fords Mike? Now I don't feel so much like a traitor trading in mine on this Chev. 8)
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Now dont get carried away here. I said I was looking :D
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

campswithcritters
exempt member

Mike Clay wrote:Now dont get carried away here. I said I was looking :D
Hang on till Aug, I'll let you test drive a broke in Chev, You can even hook it up to your rig for real testing. I am still impressed by this thing.
bbgun

Post by bbgun »

I quess that I am the die hard FORD fan. My brother-in-law would love to sell us a brand new Chevy Truck. We are just gonna wait it out..we bought this truck thinking this would be it for retirement..we have been babying it..keeping it garaged..etc. Not anymore I wanna get out there and use it more often. We bought the extended warranty so we plan on putting some miles on "er." She still is a "sweet thang" to me! :wink: I LOVED driving it up over the hill from the Ranier Bridge to Clatskanie! :D
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

bbgun wrote: I LOVED driving it up over the hill from the Ranier Bridge to Clatskanie! :D
That's quite the climb isn't it Becky. You cross the bridge over the Columbia make a right had turn at about 20 mph then climb-climb-climb. It's certainly a good test of your pulling power.

Rob
bbgun

Post by bbgun »

Yea, I quess I can finally laugh about it..Not bad for the ole Ford..still pulls like everything..maybe not as fast without the intercooler/seal thingy..but heck once int was fixed we were back in business! I ain't puttin her on the market yet 8)
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Yes thats a nice 7% grade with no running start :shock:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

tagilles

Ford's 6.0

Post by tagilles »

I have a 04' Excursion and Ford had to replace the turbo at 20,000 miles. It's never had the same power since then. Since the new turbo was put in, there's a ton of lag waiting for the turbo to wind up. Also talked to alot of companies around the railroad, they have found that porlonged (or any) idling will cause a turbo failure due to low lube-oil presure when idling. Their employees are instructed to turn off their truck whenever parked. I was very dissapointed to hear that. Made the 100,000mile drive-train warranty easy to buy.
geeksrus

Re: 2005 F350 Turbo warning

Post by geeksrus »

bbgun wrote:Just wanted to give others a heads up in case you ever experience this. We were pulling our fiver to Cannon Beach, Or when all of a sudden we heard a loud pop lost power and BLACK smoke came out of the exhaust.We took the trailer to camp and drove the truck backinto Astoria Ford Dealership. They took great care of us. Turns out the driver's side intercooler was blown apart.They removed it and replaced it.Worked fine coming home. Wow! What an experience though. Next time DH can drive. I quess that is what I get for wanting to drive!! Anyone checking out the new Ford double turbos that are coming out?
I had the same problem on Labour Day 2005 on I90 just east of Moses Lake WA. Good Sam's Road Service & the local Ford dealer did a great job & we only lost one day of our vacation.

Regards
Pez

Re: Ford's 6.0

Post by Pez »

tagilles wrote:I have a 04' Excursion and Ford had to replace the turbo at 20,000 miles. It's never had the same power since then. Since the new turbo was put in, there's a ton of lag waiting for the turbo to wind up. Also talked to alot of companies around the railroad, they have found that porlonged (or any) idling will cause a turbo failure due to low lube-oil presure when idling. Their employees are instructed to turn off their truck whenever parked. I was very dissapointed to hear that. Made the 100,000mile drive-train warranty easy to buy.
On first start of your ( diesel ) on cold days, how long do you let the engine warm up before you start towing ? What do the people do that live up north in a colder climate.

It has been colder in this area than any other year that I can remember.
On cold days like we have had in the mid to high 20's I let the TV temp gage move a little before I pull out of a campground.

I know if I start to pull out before it does warm up a little it sounds as if the engine is coming out from under the hood.

If we are parked next to someone and it is early in the morning I usually put it in drive and let the idle pull me off to a area that that there is no one around and let TV warm up until needle starts to move and then I will hook up.

My TV is a 04 Ford and I think they are louder than any other diesel on the market. The only problem I have had is , replaced a fuel injector.

Thanks
Pez
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

On a cold night, use the block heater, you should have one.
The bearing supporting the turbo gets hot. I like to let the engine idle a couple of minutes before engaging the tranny to get a good oil flow, longer if it is cold weather.
Another thing I do is allow the oil too cool before shutdown. At idle, the oil flow through that hot turbo bearing will cool. Just shutting it down hot, the oil may coke up, or leave deposits in the bearing.
It doesn't sound like this was your problem, but if the turbo comes apart, the intercooler is history too. Probably worse.
That being said, Hope to see you on the road :D
campswithcritters
exempt member

Re: Ford's 6.0

Pez wrote: My TV is a 04 Ford and I think they are louder than any other diesel on the market.
Obviously you never had a pre-2003 cummins Pez. I bet that was the loudest diesel ever put in a pickup! :lol: My 2002 Dodge cummins had people gathering up their kids just idling through the Wal-Mart parking lot!