Over Heating Brakes

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Over Heating Brakes

Post by Traveler II »

Usually coming down a grade I let the Allison transmission hold my speed. The other day coming down a long grade the engine was just a howling so I kick the Allison out. I was using the brakes to keep my speed. The problem I had was applying the brakes on the truck after the front end would just shake. We got to the campground and my plan was to take it into a dealer the next day, but to my surprise the next day the brakes on the truck work fine. My question is did I do damage to the brakes or did I overheat them and when they cooled down are OK?

In the future on a long steep grade I’m going to use the Allison and use the trailer brake controller along with the truck, I think the combination of all three will do the job.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Travelers

Re: Over Heating Brakes

Post by Travelers »

If these are the original brake pads, they may be worn to the point that they over heat quickly.
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

We have about 70,000 miles on our Chevy and we've not replaced them, but I did have our dealer check them out before our trip and said they were OK. They are working fine now, we only had the problem coming down this one grade coming into Las Cruces, NM on highway 70.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Traveler II wrote:We have about 70,000 miles on our Chevy and we've not replaced them, but I did have our dealer check them out before our trip and said they were OK. They are working fine now, we only had the problem coming down this one grade coming into Las Cruces, NM on highway 70.
Might go for a second opinion on the brakes, all 4 truck brakes at least. 70K miles on the brakes for a pickup pulling a heavy trailer in the Big Mountains is pushing the limits. And coming down a steep grade where the engine/Jake brakes can't hold it back, and then getting a shudder from the wheel brakes, stop the rig. Now. Chock the wheels and let the brakes cool for a half hour or so. You got very close to a runaway. The shudder was one or more disks warping from the heat.

For everyone, use ALL the brake systems you have available at ALL TIMES in the mountains. If the engine/Jake is having difficulty keeping the speed down, use the brakes to slow to less then 20 MPH. 15 or even 10 MPH. If there are signs reducing the speed for trucks on a downgrade, heed it. Don't start down a long steep grade at 50 - 60 MPH. Mountains mean sharp curves ahead. If you smell hot oil, metal, get a shudder in the steering wheel, pull to the side, STOP and INVESTIGATE.

I'm speaking as a survivor here, I lost the brakes with a load of logs one time. Nightmare stuff.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Jeff.......................VERY GOOD point................. :thumbrt: ...........................I would wonder if the disks are alright now???

When you drive Pikes Peak................about 1/2 way down .....................you MUST stop.,....and they check your brakes....if too hot...you sit, and enjoy a shop they have there......
Hmmmmmm, wonder if any connection.... :ymdevil: ............
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Hmm the shake would have me more concerned. Does your truck shake normally do to warped rotors? Got the brakes pretty hot at times in my 08 and never had front end shake.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Mike, the shake lasted about 10 minutes after we came off the grade. We got onto the interstate and by the time we pulled off the interstate to the campground the shake was gone completely. We’ve gone about 900 miles since than and have not had a problem, we've not had the shake before or after, and the brakes are working fine.
Jim & Jane
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

That run down into Las Cruses is a long one and I had to use my wheel brakes in addition to the exhaust brake to keep everything under control there last spring. I would suggest you take the truck to a good shop and have the brakes checked again. Also you might want to check your front shocks, especially if they are original equipment.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
snoking

Post by snoking »

You most likely glazed the rotors a bit. 3m rotory pads in a drill can be used to clean the glazing off. Next time they get warm they will start grabbing again until they are cleaned. Takes 2-4 of the little pads per rotor to clean both sides.

Did it on 93 Dodge CTD on Stevens Pass in Washington.

FYI, next time gear down more and use the D/A grade braking.

Second FYI, dealer will want to turn rotors or replace them.

Small honest shop may be better and be willing to determine if they can be cleaned.

Chris