Extended Warranties?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Extended Warranties?

Post by teallen »

I have seen several discussions concerning extended warranties for trucks. Mine has run out on my 2008 and was wondering what your opinions are to buy an ext. warranty? Is there any particular company that has good ratings/reviews to purchase one from? Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
Rob & Cathy

Re: Extended Warranties?

Post by Rob & Cathy »

If you want an extended service plan Tom go with FORD ESP not 3rd party.

With that said, I'm not a fan of extended service plans. Take the money you would have spend on the plan and put it in the bank. If you have a major problem that money will take a big bite out of the service cost and, unlike a service plan, it doesn't expire. :d

Rob
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

I would look at a powertrain extended warranty. Especially if you're looking at being on the road a lot. The cost for a new trans, transfer case or diesel engine is real big $$$$. Just as a point of reference, to replace your 2008 engine with a reman from Ford is $13,100 plus labor. :shock: :shock:

Sure hope your putting a lot of $$ away Rob. :))
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

I currently have the Ford ESP on my rig and it covers me for about another 18 months. When that expires I'm not sure what I'll do but I have looked around to see what is out there and my only advice would be to look over what is excluded very closely. One thing I've seen consistently is no coverage for the HPFP/fuel delivery system, which some people think are the real weakness in the 2008-2010 Fords.
Chief-e9
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3100RK

Post by Chief-e9 »

We bought the 60 month/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty for our 2007 F-350 dually diesel. I bought it at a Ford dealership with 7 months left on factory warranty and it was certified for another year. Because of known issues with the 6.0 I decided a few months later to get an extended warranty. I advised the ext. warranty guy at the Ford dealership I bought the truck what I could pay by buying a warranty online. He offered it to me at a lower rate which I took. A couple of thousand mile later I had to have the heads replaced as well as coolers, etc. That one service cost more than what I paid for the warranty but I only paid my $100 deductible. So far truck is doing fine. I still have almost four years and 50,000 plus miles left on the warranty. I'm one of those that found the purchase worthwhile.
Vickie (Retired RN), Roy (Retired AF) Baxter the Shih-Tzu (RIP Nov 2014) Bella Mae the Shih-Tzu (RIP Aug 2021)
2011 Ford F-350 Long Bed Crew Cab Diesel
2010 Cardinal 3100RK
mcdonell
Cardinal Owners: 29lx

Post by mcdonell »

I hear people tell about having luck with warranties but it never has been my good fortune. There always seems to be a glitch when I need to file a claim.

My last encounter was lifetime warranty pinstriping on wife's 2012 Sienna had a spot come loose. Dealer said bring it in with an appointment and we will see if it is covered, and if so, we will schedule you for another appointment. The dealer is 75 miles round trip. (What do you mean, see if it is covered?? And how many appointments do I need? ) I was considering the extended warranty for the car but no way now. I bought matching pinstripe tape at O'Reileys Auto Supply for $5 and plan to just fix it myself.

Last year another car of mine had an electrical problem. 2009 Toyota with a wrap 100% warranty, no deductible. Dealer told me it would cost $100 to check it out, and if it is covered, there would be no charge. (Huh? My warranty is 100%, bumper to bumper, I am pretty sure the problem is between the bumpers, :-? ). Later Dealer called and said it looked like a rodent had chewed some wires and the car needed a $3,000 wiring loom. And you guessed it, rodent damage was not covered. I wondered if all chafed wiring is rodent damage.

I have too many of these stories. I could bore ya to tears. I am done with warranties that cost extra. I am avoiding warranties and dealers, if at all possible. :D
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

Like any insurance, you are buying peace of mind. Also like any insurance you need to read the fine print to see what is really covered and most importantly, what is not covered. I had a extended warranty on my previous truck that I purchased through the internet. I bought the truck new so I was able to produce maintenance documents if necessary. I had no problems that I needed the warranty for and ended up trading my truck before the time and miles covered were up. I sent for my refund and never heard from them again. Come to find out, they were out of business and had several other similar companies which I will now call scams.

My current truck is a used one so I chose not to spend money on the GM extended warranty that was offered later because I know I cannot produce maintenance records for the first 30,000 miles. For my money I would only consider extended warranties that are offered by the manufacture since they have the most to lose by not honoring it. That is not to say that some dealers might not have a good program also if their name is associated with it.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
RetiredFifthWheeler
Cardinal Owners: 3825FL Fifth-Wheel

Post by RetiredFifthWheeler »

We currently have the Dodge extended warranty and a Ford prepaid maintenance plan on our truck. The reason we decided to do this is that we wanted to limit our costs until we become eligible for Railroad Retirement in 2016. We folded the premiums into the five-year note, spreading out the cost.

We've had no real issues with the truck to date. It has approximately 36,500 miles on it and we bought it in March 2011. The Ford/Dodge dealer we bought the truck from is 90 miles away, and although we were assured from a local Ford dealer that our prepaid maintenance is good there, to-date we have always taken it back for service to the original dealer. The RV and truck dealers are within 20 minutes of each other and we normally do a two-fer when we go for maintenance. Even when we don't pull our bird in for maintenance we use a visit to the truck dealer as a shopping day at the Mall of Georgia or the surrounding enviorns. (The joy of living in the middle of nowhere, lol).
Wayne & Ruth Spong

2016 3825fl
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 / Cummins Turbo Diesel
Good Sam Life Members
Rallies attended - 3 (+ 4 FROG)
teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

Thanks for the advice, I have had similar experiences on my other Cardinal ext. warranty, not covering something . Unfortunately they talk a good game in selling you one, but are very stingy in handing any money out. I want to keep my truck for at least 2 more years, but am concerned with these high tech diesels that if something goes wrong it will take a pretty good bite out of the wallet. probably will look at the power train/engine only.
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

I'm approaching 36k miles on my bumper to bumper warranty. I'm going to stop by the dealership today to see what they offer for extended warranty.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I got the Powertrain/Engine extended warranty as part of the package when I bought the truck.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Chief409 wrote:I got the Powertrain/Engine extended warranty as part of the package when I bought the truck.

Jeff
Duramax comes with a 100k / 5 year warranty. Not sure what it covers or doesn't cover. Hence the reason for stopping by the dealership.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

The thing you need to be aware of is many of the extended warranties are wrap warranties and start from the day the vehicle was purchased not when the Manufacturer warranty ends!

The warranty I bought from the dealership tried to do that on my Dodge but I had inserted a clause in the purchase contract that it stated it started from the date I bought the pickup not the date it was first sold. The warranty company would not honor it but the dealership did and it saved me $2,000 but I had to threaten them with bait and switch to get them to honor the clause that was inserted!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

I've had good luck with the Good Sam Continued Service Plan. They also will cover you TV so as the factory warranty is expiring you might get a quote from them.
Bill
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
Chief-e9
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3100RK

Post by Chief-e9 »

My right front caliper froze up a couple of weeks ago and had to be changed. Did it at the local Ford dealership. My cost was the $100 deductible. As I said earlier, my 6.0 has had the heads replaced, glow plugs replaced,harness replaced, and turbo hose replaced due to antifreeze being blowed out. My cost was $100. Prior to this had to have several items replaced due to truck going into limp home mode (loss of power) to include turbo assembly, unison ring, etc. My cost was $100. The total for all this work was far greater than the $2450 I paid for the 60/60 bumper-to-bumper warranty. Still have 4 years or 50,000 miles left on it. In my case, it was well worth the cost, as well as piece of mind. If I could do the work myself might have not considered waranty. Tough choice no matter what when it comes to warranties.
Vickie (Retired RN), Roy (Retired AF) Baxter the Shih-Tzu (RIP Nov 2014) Bella Mae the Shih-Tzu (RIP Aug 2021)
2011 Ford F-350 Long Bed Crew Cab Diesel
2010 Cardinal 3100RK