SRW or DRW

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

cardinalfarmer
Cardinal Owners: New owner 3550rl

SRW or DRW

Post by cardinalfarmer »

Is the dually used more often for weight capacity only, or do they offer much better stability. I have a srw on a 2500 hd chevy. My truck handles the weight okay, but have been told a dually will be more stable.
Keith & Christy

2014 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW B&W Companion Hitch
2014 Cardinal 3850RL
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Re: SRW or DRW

Post by bigbunkhouse »

They are more stable, have less tire flex/roll and typically bigger anti sway bars. Also the extra wheels are nice should you get a blow out at highway speeds, training wheels if you will! :mrgreen:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

What Matt said. :thumbrt:
mcdonell
Cardinal Owners: 29lx

Post by mcdonell »

I have many friends that pull big 5th wheels with SW 3/4 and one ton rigs. They don't complain. I have a 2000 Ford dually and it pulls my Cardinal nice. In fact my dually seems to ride better with the trailer on and I scoot right on up the hills. I often wonder if the dually and the lower gear ratio is worth the extra fuel the dually uses. I doubt I will ever know. I intend to keep my truck for a few more years. It is too nice to trade off and I am too old to worry about impressing people with new stuff. 8)
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Travelers wrote:What Matt said. :thumbrt:
For MPG mine is getting 12.5 towing, 15+ light highway and town. Way better then my '05 F250 V10 did, or the work '08 F250 with a 5.4. All with 4X4.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

I have owned 2 duallies and several that were not duallies. The dually is more stable, but the F350 SRW that I have now is more stable than a 250 SRW. I like the fact that I can use a short bed truck with SRW and feel safe. The short bed and SRW is a much easier to use as a daily driver, also Carol would never drive the dually, so now I can stay at the camper when she wants to go somewhere and I don't :D I did tow my friends 40 ft Big Horn with the truck I have now and everything felt good.

I guess what I am saying is that a dually in not a requirement to be safe and comfortable while towing.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

My dually dually gets terrible mileage, but then again I carry a car and my home. Having owned all the options up through the years, I recommend the dually pick-up over a SWR if your pin weight is over 2500 lbs (if you tow over 7500 mi/yr) and you do not need the truck as a daily driver. Just MHO having driven them all.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

WELL.......................from my point of view, having had a SRW, and a Dually, and now on my second dually.......................Need I say more....... :d

Oh, and what Matt, and John said.
cardinalfarmer
Cardinal Owners: New owner 3550rl

Post by cardinalfarmer »

Thanks for the info. My SRW is my daily driver. It handles the camper okay except on interstates around semi-trucks. If there is a strong crosswind, the trailer wants to sway some. Fellow campers have said to get a dually and that will stop. At this point, getting a different truck is not an option. The more radiused noses on these new campers seem to help with the better aerodynamics.
Keith & Christy

2014 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW B&W Companion Hitch
2014 Cardinal 3850RL
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

I am on my 2nd dually and it is my daily driver. When it was broke down last summer I borrowed a SRW to go away with. I have to say I was gratefull for the loaner but, I would never own one myself. Not to say they are bad, just my opinion.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

I had a Dodge 2500 and now a Dodge 3500 dually and the towing is much better with the dually. We have a couple of slow down bumps on the street getting to our house and it is a little rougher if you don't slow down though!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
mike & linda
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3030RS

Post by mike & linda »

Never driven a dually. Did add ride rite no drill airbags last weekend and drove around the block. It felt pretty good. If you don't have them, it might help. Took me 2.5 hours to install and they were about $350 from amazon. We are leaving this weekend for our 1st trip with the new camper and airbags.
2006 F250 PSD CC
2013 3030RS 5er (The Load & Go}
DW & #1 Son
bilmorvn
Location: We're fulltimers and have never been physically to our address in Madison SD! Will get there probably when we renew our DL. Try to stay not too warm or cold. Usually go to Mexico in the winter which we love. Will gladly answer ?s about full timing or Mexico.
Cardinal Owners: Have a 2008 35 SB. Had ordered exactly what we wanted and then had to cancel since they changed floorplans. Wanted the W/D in the bathroom, not bedroom. Have some problems, but we love the layout. Have made many modifications including larger windows in small S/O, furniture, cabinet work, 46" TV.

Post by bilmorvn »

Hitch pin weight is the big factor. I like buying four tires at a time, not six. Have had no problems or concerns with stability with the SRW vice DRW. I have changed a blown rear tire on the SRW where I couldn't with the dually, but the dually has let me limp to get the blown tire changed. When we're not pulling the 5W which is most of the time, the SRW wins hands down.
BillMoRex&Princess
Fulltiming since 8/93
2008 35 SB/ 2006 Chev Duramax
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

bilmorvn wrote:Hitch pin weight is the big factor. I like buying four tires at a time, not six. Have had no problems or concerns with stability with the SRW vice DRW. I have changed a blown rear tire on the SRW where I couldn't with the dually, but the dually has let me limp to get the blown tire changed. When we're not pulling the 5W which is most of the time, the SRW wins hands down.
Why couldn't you change a dually blow out? Exactly the same as changing a SRW blow out as long as you understand valve stem placement. Sorry but I don't get what the difference is otherwise, I rotated my dually tires regularly before I went to a HDT. Now I don't change them as I can't lift them and don't have a 20 ft cheater pipe.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Won't tow a big trailer without a dually. Not interested in risking a rear flat going downgrade on a mountain road with a big trailer. Plus the quality of the ride is so much better. All I drive are trucks, I don't have any problems using my dually as a daily driver. I look for spots to pull thru in parking lots, or back in, you'd be surprised how much easier it is to get in a parking spot. And park further out, nothing wrong with my legs and fewer dings in the paint. Changed a few inside wheels on HDT's as a kid, actually you only need a 10' cheater on that 3/4" breaker bar, but now, a 20 footer and a kid to wrestle the wheel is better! :lol:
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.