SRW or DRW

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Randyman

Re: SRW or DRW

Post by Randyman »

I have a cheaper option for you Keith and that is to put better tires on your trailer. I switched from the Marathons with the 16" wheel that my bird came with and went with 17.5 rims and tires. What a difference that made. Just went on a 2500 mile pull with her and it is much more stable feeling. I got the impression that the Marathons were balloons that would let the trailer bounce and sway because they weren't made strong enough. Just my humble opinion....and a lot less than a new truck! Randy
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well I agree you probably should have a drw if your towing over 16k. You could blow a front tire just as easy, not to mention I bet my srw rides the same or better then your drw pulling a larger trailer then what you have. If your not hauling a camper (one of those things that fits in the back of your truck :)) ) or hauling something that is around 16k then that it comes down to choice. Now a little disclaimer here I am talking 2011 plus one ton trucks that are designed to carry these type of loads.

Plus the one thing I saw while watching people come in and out of the park for the month is weigh the dang thing. Get your pin weight, I seen one guy that was so over loaded that he was sitting on his spring stops. Now that is what gets you in trouble.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

It depends on your experiences and comfort factor, when you get down to it about SRW vs DRW. To each their own.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Well I don't know about towin' with them cute lil' trucks, but.... Just kiddin. I think todays trucks take all of yesterday's thinkin' straight to the trash. If it's in limits "go for it"!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
bilmorvn
Location: We're fulltimers and have never been physically to our address in Madison SD! Will get there probably when we renew our DL. Try to stay not too warm or cold. Usually go to Mexico in the winter which we love. Will gladly answer ?s about full timing or Mexico.
Cardinal Owners: Have a 2008 35 SB. Had ordered exactly what we wanted and then had to cancel since they changed floorplans. Wanted the W/D in the bathroom, not bedroom. Have some problems, but we love the layout. Have made many modifications including larger windows in small S/O, furniture, cabinet work, 46" TV.

Post by bilmorvn »

This info won't apply to many making SRW/DRW decisions, so for what it is worth. One of the reasons for us going with SRW at the time was that we traveled a lot all over Mexico. If you used toll roads or bridges and you had DRW your toll fees were 50 to 100% higher. Also in many of the older cities, DRW made your vehicle a truck and you were banned from driving in certain areas--very high fines. You would see real trucks in these cities, but they only had SRWs and were not banned as trucks--go figure ;) Also parking and driving with SRWs was a lot easier on the narrow, crooked streets.
BillMoRex&Princess
Fulltiming since 8/93
2008 35 SB/ 2006 Chev Duramax