19.5 Commercial Tires For A Pick Up

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

19.5 Commercial Tires For A Pick Up

Post by Traveler II »

I’m looking at the advantages and disadvantages of using the 19.5 commercial tires on my single rear wheel truck. I understand the advantages of greater load capacity. My question is how bad does the ride suffers by going this route? My wife has some health issues that get compounded if she gets bounced around too much.

Thanks
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: 19.5 Commercial Tires For A Pick Up

Post by campswithcritters »

Yes they will likely ride a bit rougher, but very dependent on air pressure. On the 22.5 inch tires there is a significant difference in ride quality between running 110 psi & 90 psi (sufficient for my loads but lowest allowed on them). You would need to look at a pressure table for the tires you are looking at, compare what pressure you would need vs what you currently use. Higher pressure will result in a somewhat harsher ride. I've not tried it on a pick-up this is just my experience with big truck tires, the softer pick-up suspension may make it not as noticeable.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Thanks Bruce

Jane and I got back home last week and we're looking at either getting a new truck or putting money into what we have. If we keep what we have and put some money into it in many respects it will be better for pulling a fiver than a new one.

I'm thinking of using Rancho adjustable air shocks and put on stiffer springs and a heavy-duty sway bar along with the new heavier tires and rims, probably a little overkill. Add a new Max brake controller along with a Banks system, but I do need to be sensitive to the ride.

On the other hand the truck we have has done great pulling we would just move up to a one-ton and there are some good rebates out there on the 2013.

Now this is guy shopping and more fun than going to the mall—boys and our toys.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
snoking

Post by snoking »

You have 17" rims now? For ride quality you would be better off staying with the current rim diameter and profile, and just go to wide tires and rims. 19.5 are going to be brick truck tires. A sway bar is not that big of a deal with a 5th wheel, as the load is not carried high like a truck camper. I love my Rancho 9000's. Took a load of firewood up to the trailer this morning. Stopped in town and turned them up half way as it was feeling a little loose. Straighten it right up. I let my rears down to 44 pounds when not towing to improve ride. Tires are 265/75R16E on 8.25 factory rims. Tires are rated to 3415 each.

Chris
Last edited by snoking on Thu May 09, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Saw it today! Was waiting at the car wash for an Urkel wash & wax. Saw a F-350 (with 19.5s) pulling into the Lowes next door and had been watching pick-ups come & go for 25 minutes.n That was the only truck I "heard" crossing the speed bump over there, speed was similar to several others but my guess is that it felt very rough in the truck!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")