Ford Super Duty SYNC - Vehicle Condition Report

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Big Bird
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250

Ford Super Duty SYNC - Vehicle Condition Report

Post by Big Bird »

My F 250 SYNC "Vehicle Condition Report" (VCR) has saved my rear end (no pun intended) more than once, but I could not use it last week when the turbo turned off. The good news is that I was in REGEN and the turbo turned off because the engine temperature was way too high. When I went to run a VCR I could not find the function on SYNC. I contacted Ford and found out that when my primary warranty ran out so did VCR. This was apparently a dealer decision that did not require my advice and consent! The dealer can and will turn it back on until my diesel warranty expires. They will expand my REGEN on screen notification during the entire REGEN action, not just at start up. $50 install price, but a small sum when you consider it was VCR that notified me and Ford when the first and second turbo's went out. So, if you have a newer Ford Super Duty and you are approaching 50,000 miles you may lose VCR.
Big Bird

Marv and Jackie
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Re: Ford Super Duty SYNC - Vehicle Condition Report

Post by EAW »

That sounds like a job for the aftermarket programmers to add a function that keeps the "VCR" on. It also sounds like a scam on Ford's or the dealer's part to make you pay again for something that you already paid for.

Just my 2 cents.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

After two Turbos failures under 50,000 miles they would not get a chance to to turn off the "VCR" on me.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Chief-e9
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3100RK

Post by Chief-e9 »

Big Bird; what is the year of your F-250? When did the VCR function become available? Thanks in advance.
Vickie (Retired RN), Roy (Retired AF) Baxter the Shih-Tzu (RIP Nov 2014) Bella Mae the Shih-Tzu (RIP Aug 2021)
2011 Ford F-350 Long Bed Crew Cab Diesel
2010 Cardinal 3100RK
Big Bird

Post by Big Bird »

First, the VCR feature of SYNC comes back on tomorrow and will be on until I reach at least my 100,000 warranty expiration. If not, I have a truck for sale.

My truck is a 2009 purchased July 6, 2009, and it has the last of the Navistar diesel engines.

The SYNC VCR feature was available day one and operational once I signed up with Ford as an owner a couple days later.

My first turbo had a cracked housing under 30,000 and the second had a cracked housing at about 68,000. Ford replaced both units under warranty without question. SYNC in both cases asked my permission to send Ford a VCR. On the first failure I was emailed from Ford to take the truck to the dealer and they replaced the turbo. On the second failure, we were on the way home from the Mt Rushmore Rally and SYNC asked permission to send Ford a VCR and I received a text within a few moments to get the truck to a dealer.

Let me say I have enjoyed the truck even with the turbo trouble. Ford has been great about fixing it.
Big Bird

Marv and Jackie
Big Bird

Post by Big Bird »

LOOK OUT. I was able to talk directly with the SNYC people today. I do not think they are apart of Ford. The VCR or VHR does not expire over a set period of time or mileage. It goes with the original owner for as long as they own the vehicle. The option to access via voice changed and I now go through Phone and Advanced Options. It is there. There is a software update and it enhances the options with VCR. This small bit of information took the better part of day. Oh, the dealer tried to tell me there would be a $50 annual access fee. Nope, SYNC says no way - no charge. I ran a report and it worked fine. My voice commands also work fine. It was like a bad Laurel and Hardy movie. :(
Big Bird

Marv and Jackie
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Big Bird wrote:The VCR or VHR does not expire over a set period of time or mileage. It goes with the original owner for as long as they own the vehicle.
That is my understanding as well Marv. It doesn't expire and there's no charge/fee.

Rob
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

Big Bird, that is great. It sounds like Snyc is being a "stand up" company to do business with.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain