Inbed brake connection

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

mike & linda
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3030RS

Inbed brake connection

Post by mike & linda »

Has anyone installed a 7 pin brake connector in the truck bed. Is it anymore difficult than cutting the hole? Dealer wants $210 to do it.
2006 F250 PSD CC
2013 3030RS 5er (The Load & Go}
DW & #1 Son
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Inbed brake connection

Post by Mike Clay »

Chevy comes with the wire loom so we cut hole in the bed with a hole saw looked at the way the other plug was wired. Was not to bad I think it took us 30 minutes or so. Now if you are going to be splicing wires that is going to add a lot of time.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Might want to consider a 3' pigtail that is already wired. Just drill the hole anbd splice it in at a height that is easy to work at. That's how I did my 2005 Ford SD.
Billy Sunday

Post by Billy Sunday »

I suggest that you purchase and extension 7 point receptacle kit from one of the Internet hitch companies that will be made specifically for your truck application. You can unplug your existing wire connector from the back of the original hitch 7 point plug and attach the "T" from the extension kit and place it in the hole you drilled into the side of your truck. DO NOT PRE-Drill the hole until you determine how deep the new 7 point receptacle is, the clearance for the plug will diminish the higher you go to the top of the truck rail. It is really very simple, the hardest part is determining where to drill the hole on your truck bed wall and as always read the instructions carefully before you begin assembly (it pains me to say read the instructions).

My cost for the plug was about $35.00 and I ordered it with my hitch...it will take about an hour by the time you tie the excess wiring harness to the underside of your truck.
watkinsk
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3150RL

Post by watkinsk »

Last summer I did the work myself on the new Ford. I purchased the following from etrailer.com:

Code Item Quantity Price/Ea. Total
Sales Tax: $0.00

The key was getting the gooseneck design because of the tight fit between the truck sidewall and bed. Hooking it up to the electrical on the preinstalled towing hitch for regular trailers was a piece of cake. I borrowed a hole drill bit (2 inch I think) from a neighbor. Took 15 minutes to drill the hole and then about 20 minutes to complete the wiring connections.

My dealer wanted $120 plus parts to install it.

Keith
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 4x4, SRW, Std Bed
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT"...Winston Churchill
mike & linda
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3030RS

Post by mike & linda »

Thanks for the info. I assume they are putting the plug in the column next to the tail gate? The tee with the prewired extension sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the speedy replies. Hope everyone has a great 4th.
2006 F250 PSD CC
2013 3030RS 5er (The Load & Go}
DW & #1 Son
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

mike & linda wrote:Has anyone installed a 7 pin brake connector in the truck bed. Is it anymore difficult than cutting the hole? Dealer wants $210 to do it.
Here's a sample harness for your 2006 Super Duty:
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehi ... 0061172154

Rov