Big boys trucks

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

baddogy
Cardinal Owners: 2009 Cardinal 3625 5th wheel

Re: Big boys trucks

Post by baddogy »

Well kids it's been a long time since I have been on this site and I miss you guys and the rally's. Had family problems, deaths, and work problems possible ,layoffs but things are better now. I know this topic is old but I thought that I would chime in. My 2001 f350 Trans had to be rebuilt again, #4, so I went a picked up a big boy truck to do the towing. I purchased a 05 Volvo 630 with a Meritor 12 speed automatic and 944,000 miles for $10k out of Canada. It turns out the motor is a factory rebuild. I run great no oil leeks and not that much rust. I picked it up in Plattsburg NY and drove it back to Los Angeles in 52 hours. So far it is cool. It is easy to drive and it averaged 9 mpg. The first leg I drove was for 15 hours and I was not fatigued just sleepy. First fuel stop was in Iowa. The bad side of that is $450 to fill up. The truck is currently being singled and being converted to an RV. Ill post pic when done. I’ll be getting an air ride hitch soon.

Hopefully Sally and I will see you next year at the Rally.
Tom
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Whoa, pretty exciting Tom! Please do post some pictures if you get a chance. Maybe some before and after pictures?

Rob
teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

Alright another big un, fit in with the Jim's.
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
jrshuman

Post by jrshuman »

I don't think you'll ever be sorry... Congratulations and welcome to my world. :thumbrt:
baddogy
Cardinal Owners: 2009 Cardinal 3625 5th wheel

Post by baddogy »

this is the pre hitch pic.

jrshuman

Post by jrshuman »

Looking good Tom. I think you'll really enjoy that setup. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:thumbrt: :thumbrt: Welcome to the dark side, I sure like the color, but save your money, we filled up in OR last month $4.59 for $839 which took us all the way to southeast MO. fuel here $3.59. It is great not to worry about pin weight, towing power, stopping , with these rigs really don't need trailer brakes. We took ours to Alaska this year, only problem was the cost of fuel, yes you did the right thing, see you down the road.........Jim & Norma :AR! :AR!
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Don't know where you were in Oregon to pay 4.59 when it has been 3.89 there since we left in July. They must have seen that big boys truck coming.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

Mike, It was eastern OR south of Spokane at fiying J and I was running on fumes and after buying fuel in BC for about $5.50 I thought not to bad until I got here. Oh well when you play you pay, Have a great time in AL and we will see you guys in a couple weeks......Jim & Norma
Susanna Clay
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150RL

Post by Susanna Clay »

Jim, you sure you were in the right state? Spokane is in Washington. :d Do you need directions on how to get to Sevierville? =))
Mike and Susanna Clay and Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2016 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Dually
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Susanna Clay wrote:Jim, you sure you were in the right state? Spokane is in Washington. :d
I was curious about that too. Spokane is a considerable distance from Oregon.

Rob
Last edited by Rob & Cathy on Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

Mike Clay wrote:Don't know where you were in Oregon to pay 4.59 when it has been 3.89 there since we left in July. They must have seen that big boys truck coming.
Hovering around $3.99 in the great State of Oregon right now. Seems to have bumped up right around Labor Day weekend peaking at $4.05 and slowly working back down.
jrshuman

Post by jrshuman »

I wasn't completely empty, but I filled up any way in Brandenburg, KY. I put in 174 gallons for $570 = $3.27 per gallon. That was at a Kroger store. That is about the best price I've seen in quite a while. Most of the stations around here (Ft Knox) are running around $3.67 a gallon. I shouldn't need fuel again this year. Not happy about putting out that much for fuel, but sounds like it could have been much worse. Last time I filled up was in Great Falls, ND for about $3.96 a gallon.

Jim
snoking

Post by snoking »

baddogy wrote:this is the pre hitch pic.

You need to peel that banana! :joke: =)) =)) :joke:
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

jrshuman wrote: I filled up any way in Brandenburg, KY. I put in 174 gallons for $570 = $3.27 per gallon. That was at a Kroger store. That is about the best price I've seen in quite a while.
In our travels to the Southern Rally, we found the best price for diesel was in OKLA where the price hovered around $3.40. But I must say that OKLA is state that needs to increase it's road tax. It seems that every state has patches of bad road every once in awhile. OKLA was just the opposite, as every once in awhile you would come across a patch of good road.

Rob