2013 Chevy 3500 Dually

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

mac's bird
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal fifth wheel 3850RL

Re: 2013 Chevy 3500 Dually

Post by mac's bird »

Olbird wrote:Did you buy it from a GM dealer, or private owner ?
I can tell you the dealers can tell everything thats has been done to the truck from the computer system, timing changes, transmission shift patterns, RPM's during driving loads, etc.
Know days no one can hide chip use or bad driving practices ater plug into the dealers computers, it going to be hard pressed to get them to honor the warranty unless a GM dealer sold the truck to you.

You do bring up a good reminder now that before buying a used truck to have a factory dealer check the computer for pass practices that would void the warranty, I do not think I would have thought about doing a dealer check.
Hope it works out for you.
I did buy it from a GM dealer. They said that they did not know of any problems with the truck.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I would say you have a very good case for demanding warranty repairs, they had all the tools to inspect and review past history before selling.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well you did nothing wrong. Dealers are dealers, but I am sure with that new of a truck they advertised it as a GM certified vehicle. The word chip is used to try to void certain things but that is their problem. Like George said they knew what the truck was all about when they checked it out. Power train is 100k 36k is bumper to bumper. Stay calm and start walking up that ladder until it gets fixed.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
mac's bird

Post by mac's bird »

Mike Clay wrote:Well you did nothing wrong. Dealers are dealers, but I am sure with new of a truck they advertised it as a GM certified vehicle. The word chip is used to try to void certain things but that is their problem. Like George said they knew what the truck was all about when they checked it out. Power train is 100k 36k is bumper to bumper. Stay calm and start walking up that ladder until it gets fixed.
Thanks, The truck was certified, so I think things will work out ok, The only person that I have dealt with so far is the salesman and he seems to genuine. I am just worried about what mite happen next. I didn't want to fork out another 3300 for an extended warranty, but in this case it may be the cheapest way to go.
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

Were their lips moving when they told you that? George is right. Connecting to the computer reveals lots of secrets. If you have any paperwork of the previous owner, I'd call him. He might tell you what he knows since he is no longer on the hook. I've been known to call former owners. :ymdevil:
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
snoking

Post by snoking »

Anyone that chips one of these new trucks that is under warranty is flat nuts or does not care about money!!! L-) L-)
mac's bird

Post by mac's bird »

dfredendall wrote:Were their lips moving when they told you that? George is right. Connecting to the computer reveals lots of secrets. If you have any paperwork of the previous owner, I'd call him. He might tell you what he knows since he is no longer on the hook. I've been known to call former owners. :ymdevil:
I am going to try to find out who he is.
dfredendall
Council, Moderator

Post by dfredendall »

Mac, Read through your owners and warranty manuals in the glove box, if you have them. Some have spaces to enter owner info and some original owners actually fill it in. Other misc. papers may be present. Put your Detective hat on. Is your dealer working with you or stalling you?
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
mac's bird

Post by mac's bird »

dfredendall wrote:Mac, Read through your owners and warranty manuals in the glove box, if you have them. Some have spaces to enter owner info and some original owners actually fill it in. Other misc. papers may be present. Put your Detective hat on. Is your dealer working with you or stalling you?
the dealer has the truck and the turbo is on order, it will be covered by warranty. I guess I got lucky in that respect. When I get it back late next week I will look thank you. So far this dealer [Cable Dahmer] has stepped up to the plate.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

:thumbrt:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
mbrolin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 Cardinal 3456 RLX

Post by mbrolin »

Good deal! Replacing the turbo is an expensive ordeal. I know my new truck will not be messed with. Any changes will be picked up by the ECM and cannot be erased.
Mike & Sandy
2019 Cardinal 3456 Luxury Edition
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab Aisin 6spd Dually
mac's bird

Post by mac's bird »

mbrolin wrote:Good deal! Replacing the turbo is an expensive ordeal. I know my new truck will not be messed with. Any changes will be picked up by the ECM and cannot be erased.
Well I got my truck back today. They tell me that what they think happen is that after the truck was made. It must have set on the lot for awhile and developed some rust in the turbo which eventually made the vanes stick. the guy that was the previous owner bought a new dually form my dealer on line. So I don't think their must have been any thing wrong with the truck that I purchased. This is just something that went wrong. I did purchase an extended warranty from them. I am still going to talk to the previous owner. Just waiting to get the okay. The salesmen wants to make sure it is okay with him. At any rate I think it was just a fluke, and I got a bad turbo, just glad it was covered by warranty.
dfredendall
Council, Moderator

Post by dfredendall »

Glad it worked out for you.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
Dale Crenshaw

Post by Dale Crenshaw »

Mike,
I didn't know about the Allison filter you are supposed to change in 1K to 2K miles. My dealer never told me. I now have about 11K on the truck.
Dale