Front hydraulic pads to low

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Jeffval
Cardinal Owners: 2014 cardinal 3850 RL

Front hydraulic pads to low

Post by Jeffval »

I took delivery of a 2014 3850 RL last week. I have a 2002 F 350 long bed 7.3 diesel. I had unit delivered and then hooked up my truck to move to another spot. I was surprised at the pin weight and height of the front hydraulic pads being 3 inch off the ground. I am looking for best overall solution to raise that to a proper height. Air bags ? New hitch?

I have not had it out also looking for comments on towing comfort and safety
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Front hydraulic pads to low

Post by Mike Clay »

Well without seeing it or a pic of it I assume your truck is really squatting down in the rear. First you need to get the truck close to level while the trailer is hooked up with probably air bags. Once that is done you will need to see how much clearance you have between the bed rail and the overhang of the trailer. Best to have 6" of clearance or more. Remember also you do not want the trailer to nose hi or low to achieve this. Your landing gear should not be anywhere close to 3 inches off the ground while hooked up.

Kind of hard to see in this pice but landing gear and leveling jacks are pretty much the same height off the ground.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Jeffval
Cardinal Owners: 2014 cardinal 3850 RL

Post by Jeffval »

Thanks for the visual.
teambradfield
Cardinal Owners: 3450RL

Post by teambradfield »

I had the same problem with my 2012 3450. We had a W/D stack up installed in the front closet. Just enough added weight to the pin to make the F350 into a low rider. Well I figured it was high time for a new truck. One F450 later and no more low riding hydraulic pads. :d
2012 3450RL, Redbird package
2012 F450 Lariat, 6.7, FX4, DRW, CC, Chrome pkg, Factory Hitch
Proud Military Family: Son #1=Navy/CPO--Son #2=Army/SFC and Son #3=Navy
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Like Mike said get the truck level with air bags and then level trailer by hitch or pin box, these trailers are heavy in pin weight.

The newer trucks most never need air bags, here is a picture of my 2014 3850RL and my landing gear came adjusted correct from the factory for my truck.
I also attached a couple pictures that Gary sent me asking the same question about the front landing gear being a little low, all the jack legs can be adjusted with the multi bolt pattern on each leg.

Hopefully Gray can tell us if he had his raised, although you want proper clearance I have found that the new trailers have a shorter distance between pin box pin and landing gear which allows the trailer to follow hitch height well.
Now if your truck suspension is soft you better have more ground clearance.
OLBIRDS 3850RL

GARY'S 3850RL

George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
ghpettengill
Cardinal Owners: Gary and Holly

2014 3850RL (after 8/10/13)
2008 Chev 3500 D/A Dually Crew Cab

Post by ghpettengill »

I talked to the dealer about it. Mine are about 7 inches off the ground. Dealer said this would probably not be a warranty issue, but they would look into it. They still have the trailer, waiting for the correct slide head (another story in itself). The topic wasn't brought up last week when I discussed the work order with them, but I will discuss it further with them when we pick it up (I actually forgot about it) and will report back.

Gary
Gary, Holly, Daniel, Steven,
and Penny (Golden Retriever)

2014 3850RL, Merlot Full Paint, Disc Brakes
2008 Chevy 3500 Duramax Crewcab Dually
trumpman
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3850 Fifth Wheel. Purchased May 2013.
2007 F350 DRW

Post by trumpman »

Mine were too low at first as well, just had them moved up a couple of notches. Could have gone up a little more but they are riding fine now.