Tranny Problems - truck is Home from the Hospital!

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

snoking

Re: Sad Day! Tranny Problems

Post by snoking »

Getting ready to do something in the next few weeks! Chris
Susanna Clay
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150RL

Post by Susanna Clay »

Chris, the suspense is killing us!
Mike and Susanna Clay and Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2016 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Dually
snoking

Post by snoking »

We looked at several 2006-2007 RAMs and GM D/A today. Going to Snohomish to interview a tranny shop tomorrow.

Talked to financial adviser today also.

Darlene liked the looks of the maroon 2006 quad cab RAM in Burlington today.

Two RAM 2007's in Bellingham had things like goose neck hitches, chips, after market intakes and other turn offs.

It is funny, it is OK for me to bomb things, but I do not want other peoples bombs. Picky Picky!

The mild bombs on our current truck make it a great tow rig that averages 12.2-12.5 MPG towing. Hard to give that up. So it is how baddly do we want a back seat.

Chris
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

snoking wrote: The mild bombs on our current truck make it a great tow rig that averages 12.2-12.5 MPG towing. Hard to give that up. So it is how baddly do we want a back seat.

Chris
There's something to be said for that Chris as you know your truck's history.

Rob
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

You never know when you buy used. I have returned a few back to "stock" before trading them in. The best thing to do is talk to the previous owner. If you check them out real good you can usually pick out the good ones. The fluids tell a lot, along with wear patterns. I am sure that with your experience that you can detect the ones to run from :thumbrt:
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

Well, this morning I called the guys at Dynomite Diesel Performance in Monroe, Wa were I dyno'd my truck years ago. Owner Lenny said take it to Mike at North State Auto Clinic in Marysville, Wa, who builds trannies for them when they need one. So I jumped in my wife's Buick Rainier with pictures and hard parts from the pan and went and interviewed Mike! He is an old horse that has been in the business for years and does the bench work himself. Arranged to take it in next Wednesday morning and hang out until they have it apart at noonish to see what they find. He could not tell for sure where the broke pieces came from.

They will fix whatever is broken and freshen it up including a triple disc torque converter. Should be around 3K plus whatever is broken? So I will be happy if it is 3 - 3.5K. My billet input shaft, other billet parts, custom valve body and other trick stuff from the custom build in 2004 will get cleaned up and reused.

Maybe will have to run to Jackson Rally in May as a test!!!

I just found things to pick apart on most of the trucks I looked at. If I was dumping mine on a trade in, then how did they get the ones they had????

But when I win the Lottery, I will have a new SRW 3500 4x4 RAM with the Aisin tranny!!!!!

=p~ =p~ =p~

Chris
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

snoking wrote: They will fix whatever is broken and freshen it up including a triple disc torque converter. Should be around 3K plus whatever is broken? So I will be happy if it is 3 - 3.5K. My billet input shaft, other billet parts, custom valve body and other trick stuff from the custom build in 2004 will get cleaned up and reused.

Chris
Sounds like a good plan Chris.

Rob
WVcampers

Post by WVcampers »

Glad you found a local guy to do the repair, they are the best in my opinion. I am sure you will be glad you kept your truck. I know nobody will believe this, but I still miss my 6.0 Ford. Sometimes I wish I would have kept it and done the upgrades.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
snoking

Post by snoking »

WVcampers wrote:Glad you found a local guy to do the repair, they are the best in my opinion. I am sure you will be glad you kept your truck. I know nobody will believe this, but I still miss my 6.0 Ford. Sometimes I wish I would have kept it and done the upgrades.
Randy Randy Randy, if it was a 6.0 it would be long gone! You did not make a mistake! Every lot I went on said people shopping used wanted the 5.9 Cummins. Chevy dealer in Bellingham said they will not display a 6.0 Ford, if they get one it is off to the auction ASP. LBZ Duramax 2006 - 2007 classics are in demand also.

Chris

@-) @-) @-)
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

My 06 5.9 Cummins realy pulled the Bird great, only problem I had was the tranny. I sometimes wish I had pursued getting the problem with the unit not staying in OD a little longer before trading. Having the 6 sped tranny in the new truck sure is nice however AND the new Ford 6.7 is a marvelous powerplant.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
WVcampers

Post by WVcampers »

Don't get me wrong, this new Ford is a great vehicle. I just had a soft spot for the dually with the 6.0. It is really sad that the 6.0 had so many problems. It towed great and got real good MPGs for a big truck. I got rid of mine before I spent big bucks on it, maybe that is why I have good memories and not the nightmares that some have had.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
snoking

Post by snoking »

Well spent the morning at the tranny shop, and this is what we found. Broken 'direct clutch pressure plate'.

So for those the are interested. The part that broke is number 26 in the on left of second line.

To add more clutches and the part being squared off, they use a direct clutch pressure plate that is machined down like this around the out edge where the snap ring goes.

Chris
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

That is interesting Chris. When will it be done?

Rob
snoking

Post by snoking »

Rob & Cathy wrote:That is interesting Chris. When will it be done?

Rob
Maybe the end of next week, however new seals for the billet accumulator and servo may delay that. Chris
teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

Hope all goes well Chris
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7