Tranny Problems - truck is Home from the Hospital!

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Re: Tranny Problems - truck in the Hospital finally!

Post by WVcampers »

Chris, are you saying that the broken part is aftermarket and is actually thinner than the OEM part?
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

WVcampers wrote:Chris, are you saying that the broken part is aftermarket and is actually thinner than the OEM part?
It is a factory part they mill down on the outer rim to get the extra steel and friction plate in the direct pack. In the bottom picture, look at the thicker center area. OEM it whole plate is that thick. So they mill the outer area where the snap ring rides and that moves it back in the drum to allow an addition clutch friction plate and steel.

Mike(tranny guy) has not told me how it is going back together yet. I am giving him a few days to round up parts, seals etc before bugging him about how it is going to be built. He has built many of these to towing or racing spec's before.

Chris
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

As I always say one change leads to another. In other words one action always creates a reaction.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

Olbird wrote:As I always say one change leads to another. In other words one action always creates a reaction.
However lots of people ran much higher HP and torque than I did with DTT transmissions without problems. Many living much longer! Just ask Mike our leader, he is an old NW Bomber and TDR guy!

Chris
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

A good Automatic transmission guy is worth his weight in gold, and then some. I would never get all those parts back in order, and those guys do it by memory. Amazing why one piece of the stack would fail. Did it do other hard part damage? How did the clutches and bands look? Did metal go to the torque converter?
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I did a lot of building Drag Cars and Drag Boats in my lifetime, built and bought the best parts on the market.
If you going play and run with the big boys it only cost money and you will enjoy the results from all the after market parts available, however I aways found that long life reliability suffered for speed, horse power and torque.
The newer trucks can handle any pulling requirements needed if sized correct for your equipment.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

dfredendall wrote:A good Automatic transmission guy is worth his weight in gold, and then some. I would never get all those parts back in order, and those guys do it by memory. Amazing why one piece of the stack would fail. Did it do other hard part damage? How did the clutches and bands look? Did metal go to the torque converter?
No other hard part damage. Where the four pieces got out of the drum it did not damage anything. All the remaining broken pieces where still captive in the direct drum. TC will be cut open. New TC may or may not use parts from the old one. New one will be billet case to mate with flex plate. Stay tuned. Chris

The DTT TC was 400 RPM Iower stall speed vs stock. New open I'd going to be just 200 RPM.
snoking

Post by snoking »

Olbird wrote:I did a lot of building Drag Cars and Drag Boats in my lifetime, built and bought the best parts on the market.
If you going play and run with the big boys it only cost money and you will enjoy the results from all the after market parts available, however I aways found that long life reliability suffered for speed, horse power and torque.
The newer trucks can handle any pulling requirements needed if sized correct for your equipment.
The 47RE is a direct descendent of the legendary Torqueflight. It can be built to handle massive power when done correctly. One of the TDR members has given me some things to follow up on. Like did DTT use a billet direct apply piston. If not that may have been the reason the plate on the other end of the pack failed(distortion of the pack).

At around 325/650 at RWs I am not running that much power. That is like 380/760 compare to newer truck at crank. DTT was aware of the power, they installed the stage 1 injectors and Edge Comp (timing only, pump has not been tapped, there is another 100hp taped back under the hood, as I did not feel a need for it and was concerned about cooling/turbo air) at the same time they built the transmission in 2004. They were one of the best at the time.

Chris
Last edited by snoking on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WVcampers

Post by WVcampers »

I would not be too upset with a tranny that lasted 9 years. There are plenty bone stock trucks that have tranny problems before they are 9 years old.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
snoking

Post by snoking »

WVcampers wrote:I would not be too upset with a tranny that lasted 9 years. There are plenty bone stock trucks that have tranny problems before they are 9 years old.
But only 85K miles! Chris
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Yes they were I had one of their trannys in my 98 1/2 Dodge. Stage 3 injectors and fuel box. It held up very well.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
WVcampers

Post by WVcampers »

snoking wrote:
WVcampers wrote:I would not be too upset with a tranny that lasted 9 years. There are plenty bone stock trucks that have tranny problems before they are 9 years old.
But only 85K miles! Chris
The last one I burned up had less that 40,000 miles. I put a Superchip in a 2000 Ford with the 7.3 and a auto trans while towing a 13,000 lb 5th wheel. One of our "hills" about 8 miles long with a 11 percent grade and a 2 lane road with no place to get off did that tranny in real quick.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
snoking

Re: Tranny Problems - truck is home from the Hospital!

Post by snoking »

Picked up the truck today! Now to talk Darlene into attending Jackson Rally! Chris
Rob & Cathy

Re: Tranny Problems - truck is Home form the Hospital!

Post by Rob & Cathy »

See you there! :thumbrt:

Rob
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Re: Tranny Problems - truck is Home form the Hospital!

Post by Don Wilson »

Chris looking forward to seeing you and Darlene at Jackson.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5